HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:22 PM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
156 Posts
Build Log
Dumas dauntless as 1930's chris craft commuter yacht

Well, as threatened, I'm doin' it. After viewing the very successful Dumas Dauntless build thread it dawned on me. This could be the kit that would give me a head start in scratch building (in this case kit bashing instead) a 1930's Chris Craft Commuter Yacht.

So far here is where I'm at:
I had the Dumas drawings blown up to actual size of the model so I can use them to customize various model components ON the drawings and them use the "new" drawings as templates for creating altered cabin design, etc.

Then, I altered the bulkheads (Dumas calls them frames) to match the 30's Chris Craft concave shaped side hull.

I altered the bow to a more vertical configuration which also follows the Chris Craft design.

I am now designing and rebuilding bulkheads 1,2,3 to further match the Chris Craft. I will then probably sub plank the forward 1/3 of the entire hull. It's probably the only way to get the compound curves correctly.

My future plan is to mahogany plank the hull from waterline up and to mahogany veneer the cabin structures.

My experience for this project eminates from the Pat Trittle design I earlier built from scratch using some of the same techniques.

Wish me luck!!! I'll try to attach some pix (which I don't have a lot of experience with) but I'll do my best.

I'll also try to keep you posted as progress presents itself--positive OR negative

Looks like I got the pix into this thread--but the captions I added to pix went where, I don' t know!!!!
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:38 PM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,106 Posts
Wow, this is going to be fun to follow.
Beautiful job on your prior scratch build.
Thanks for posting a build log.
STONECRAB is online now Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:37 PM
...man wants his boat
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
569 Posts
Wow! Given what you are shooting for, using the Dauntless is not kit bashing, it's kit exploding!

chum444 is online now Find More Posts by chum444
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:20 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,333 Posts
This should be cool .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:21 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Great looking boat. I will be watching your build.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jun 21, 2014, 01:05 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,543 Posts
Very Cool!!

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined Mar 2006
156 Posts
She ain't pretty.................yet

Hi all,

Just thought I'd do a short update on the conversion of a Dauntless to a Chris Craft 1938 Yacht. I've got close to 60 hours into it already and I don't feel I've made much headway. BUT I'm patient and will continue. The pix attached will highlight what I've done and how far I have yet to go.

I've been thinking about the cabin/superstructure while I work on underlayment of hull "skin" and planking. I'll soon be ready to start mahogany planking.

I'm a little concerned that the Dauntless beam might be a little too wide for the Chris Craft I'm aiming for. I think I can solve that by creating a fairly wide decking around the cabin superstructure, even though the REAL Chris Craft does not have this feature.............We'll see.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:09 PM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,106 Posts
Far out!
STONECRAB is online now Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
243 Posts
Very impressive work!
Dauntlessfan is online now Find More Posts by Dauntlessfan
Old Aug 03, 2014, 09:23 AM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
402 Posts
I have just come across your build and am truly impressed! Beautiful work on the modifications to the Dauntless kit so far. will be looking forward to your future posts.

Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2006
156 Posts
Ok!

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your encouragement. I will continue with this build site.............so "stay tuned".

I AM about ready to start the mahogany planking and some other items.

AZCAPTAIN
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2006
156 Posts
More progress but she still "ain't pretty"

I've been working on this daunting Dauntless to Chris Craft project. At times I get a little worried--but "carry on". Now that I've got the mahogany on I'm convinced I'll "get er done"--eventually. I'm a little concerned about how to handle the "cutwater" at the very front of the bow. I'm not yet sure as to how to handle this very critical and visible part of this build. I'm thinking I'll flatten the bow and curve and laminate in several strips of mahogany and sand it out to the knife edge of the prototype. THEN I've got to figure out how to make the bright, metal edge that protects the mahogany hull. ................. I'll get there. I've got about 95 hours in so far. The toughest job was getting those mahogany strips to bend like cooked pasta. I had to use sleeper planks here and there.