HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:57 AM
Esteemed Noodler
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Dec 2013
66 Posts
Build Log
Composite A320 1:17 Build

Hey everybody - I've got this crazy idea about building a giant scale A320 (2m wingspan).

Over the last two months I've been able to get the design to a happy place and choose the components that fit my needs, but I'm obviously just beginning this as you can see from the photos. Since I took those I've nearly completed the fuse plug (will use lost foam technique) and started an order for wing cores (Flying Foam). Scale is very important to me so I started from my own Sketchup drawing and I'm using a cheap CNC machine to get the shape right.

I'm sure to have a ton of questions so I'm posting here to start that process - let you all know where I'm at and join the conversation

My next build step is preparing/gluing the fuse layers to create 3 sections which I intend to vacuum bag using cf/Kevlar. Layup is still a huge question for me!
AirworthyPasta is offline Find More Posts by AirworthyPasta
Last edited by AirworthyPasta; Jun 21, 2014 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:44 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,951 Posts
Your A320 looks Amazing Airworthy!

SUB-ME-UP!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2013, 06:57 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
883 Posts
That's a pretty good design.
However, I would like to question the wisdom of loosing the foam. Keeping it (at least some thickness of it) would allow a much lighter structure at the same strength, or a much stronger structure at the same weight.
A foam in a hard shell structures are common in nature. Look at toucan beak for example.
And Keith Sparks' B757 is a good example of using bulk foam for an airliner.

(If I incorrectly understand the method, I apologize).

Sergey.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:57 PM
Esteemed Noodler
Joined Dec 2013
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyK View Post
Keeping it (at least some thickness of it) would allow a much lighter structure at the same strength, or a much stronger structure at the same weight.
I've never built anything with foam/fiberglass/carbon/whatever beyond stick and tissue stuff - so I'm jumping head first! You've got the method right - I plan on dissolving the foam and being left with a CF shell.

A light veil over a mostly carved-out core? Or possibly 4x+ layers of CF with judicious reinforcements around the key areas. I honestly have no clue here. My fuse is 250mm diameter so I've planned on making a couple foam rings of that size and 'seeing what happens' when I attempt to crush them, using different layup schedules. Granted, 'crush strength' is beyond what I'm shooting for here.

Thanks for the Keith Sparks thread, I'll read that!
Old Dec 03, 2013, 10:04 PM
Esteemed Noodler
Joined Dec 2013
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Your A320
Your YouTube videos def inspired me to get this project going - Thanks! I don't get but a couple hours on the weekend to work on it but here's the end goal!
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:24 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
15,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirworthyPasta View Post
I've never built anything with foam/fiberglass/carbon/whatever beyond stick and tissue stuff - so I'm jumping head first! You've got the method right - I plan on dissolving the foam and being left with a CF shell.

A light veil over a mostly carved-out core? Or possibly 4x+ layers of CF with judicious reinforcements around the key areas. I honestly have no clue here. My fuse is 250mm diameter so I've planned on making a couple foam rings of that size and 'seeing what happens' when I attempt to crush them, using different layup schedules. Granted, 'crush strength' is beyond what I'm shooting for here.

Thanks for the Keith Sparks thread, I'll read that!
Sounds like an interesting building method Sir.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:25 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
15,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirworthyPasta View Post
Your YouTube videos def inspired me to get this project going - Thanks! I don't get but a couple hours on the weekend to work on it but here's the end goal!
Thank you for the compliment Sir . . . .we all inspire each-other to do our best!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 04:27 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
Subscribed!, im Keeping an eye out for this one
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:06 PM
Esteemed Noodler
Joined Dec 2013
66 Posts
I've figured out how to mill the two-sided sharklets for the wings - I milled a keystone shape around one side and flipped it to mill the other. That was easy.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:13 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
289 Posts
Awesome job they look great. Have been waiting to see a large composite A320, can't wait till it flies.

Matt
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
15,951 Posts
Your winglet's look amazing Airworty!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:05 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Awesome work! Keep at it

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:54 AM
Russian Federation, Mosk. oblast', Grigorchikovo
Joined Jul 2005
352 Posts
Winglets like Boeing style not Airbus style
mike_fish is offline Find More Posts by mike_fish
Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joined Oct 2003
197 Posts
Airbus style sharklets, not Boeing style winglets.
Kapnos is offline Find More Posts by Kapnos
Old Dec 16, 2013, 01:08 PM
Esteemed Noodler
Joined Dec 2013
66 Posts
I guess Boeing style would be a little squarer? I just took the existing sweep of the wing and 'folded' it around a curve to model mine. I couldn't find any good source of diagrams so I - wait for it....

Winged it.