HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Bixler 1.1 Takeoff Help

Hey guys,

I'm more or less confused on the takeoff of this plane. I've been trying takeoff with about 50% throttle and it seems to glide rather well, however i'm having trouble getting high enough from the ground. From what I've read the thrust alone should take the plane to flying altitude. Is this correct? Or should small amounts of elevator be used during takeoff as well? [First flight I applied too much elevator and trying to fix it I applied too much downward elevator causing a gruesome collision. ]

Also, assuming 50% throttle is sufficient enough for takeoff... after hand-launch, should the throttle be gradually increased? Or should the plane be able to reach high enough altitude with constant 50% throttle (and once high enough, even decrease to slow flying ~ 25% throttle)..

Thanks!
ThatKidGobe is offline Find More Posts by ThatKidGobe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:04 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,330 Posts
Make sure the center of gravity is correct. Too tail heavy can make it really pitch sensitive.

I generally take off with a bit more than 50% throttle. Once you have a bit of airspeed you can elect to add more, and/or input a bit of up elevator.

When starting out, very gradually put in small inputs. Once you have some altitude then get it trimmed out.

One thing my Bixler does- if I hack the throttle off from high throttle at speed, the plane will pich up violently. I assume it is due to the down thrust of the motor suddenly going away, replaced by the drag of the unpowered prop above the chord line.

If you can find someone experienced near you who could help, that would be your best path.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks for your input! Much appreciated
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
183 Posts
I too had early questions about launching my Bix 1. Now using about 50% throttle, toss it slightly upward. I am flying with a 3300mah battery and FPV gear in the nose (cam/Tx/UBEC). CG is at 80mm. It glides down like it is going to belly land, then I massage the throttle and a little up elevator and it lifts off and climbs.

I'm at 6000', using a 1450 kv motor on a slightly raised mount. With a 8x6 prop.

Other posts I saw about using 70% throttle turned out to be no good for me. Also the 60mm CG just slammed it nose in every time. Start slow, adjust to suit your build.
FireFlyer451 is online now Find More Posts by FireFlyer451
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'm actually about to go out right now so we'll see how it goes! Had to replace the motor mount, cheap thing snapped in half! Tried to fly right after and the propeller almost flew out the plane! lol
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:58 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,390 Posts
I have a HawkSky which is simular to the Bixler, after launch I always push the throttle all the way forward and let it climb out then back the throttle off once I reach my desired height. Think about real aircraft the primary altitude control is the throttle and when they want to climb they increase to throttle.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
I will definitely see how that works out for me... thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:53 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,330 Posts
The thing that is different with hand launch planes it there isn't significant airflow over the wings when you first launch.

Some hand launch planes will tend to roll in reaction to prop tork if you hammer the throttle before getting just a bit of airflow over the wings.

Adding power for a climb is totally appropriate, but I'd still launch it at around 5/8 throttle and get it flying before adding more power.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:01 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
482 Posts
The Bixler was my first plane and I have mastered it pretty well. I have put on a 6 X 4 prop and run 3S 1300mah. Everything else is stock apart from beefing up wings etc. Never had a problem with servos or esc failing. As for hand launching I give it the works, full throttle as thats whats it for. A little up elevator until I have the feel and control then button off.
otherhalf2 is online now Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
945 Posts
My first introduction to the Bixler was at a local flying club.

The guy who had it was just launching full power from the grass. (admittedly the grass was freshly cut & short).
mrfirkin is online now Find More Posts by mrfirkin
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:36 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,390 Posts
Wet grass makes it a lot easier.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose