HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:24 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Discussion
Moving on to a sport plane but what

Hi all, i am starting to look into a new plane, i have checked all the sites but without anyones real world experience to go by i feel a bit lost.
What i have been flying lately is - fun cub, xeno, HK mini swift and a couple of scratchbuilds. What i am after is a predictable and proven sport type plane to step up to, i have been recommended a parkzone t28 and p51 but to be honest i really like the looks and ability of the edges/yaks/extras etc. I am looking for something foam and something i can handle, i dont think i could do 3d yet so is there a in between plane. I also really like the look of the eflite advance 25e - but it is balsa.
So any suggestions,
Thanks.
Mick.

Edit: I am in Australia
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:14 AM
Pro RC Boneyard Developer
Canada, BC, Arrow Creek
Joined Jan 2012
177 Posts
Most 3D capable planes are built light with low wing loading, equating to slow predictable flight.

Just because a model is 3D capable does not mean you have to fly them 3D. If you keep your control throws lower they can actually be very tame flyers. Most Foam "3D" planes with full fuselage and airfoiled surfaces are rarely truly 3D as they just can't be built as light as balsa/film models. Therefore most 3D foam planes are more suited to sport flying.

I'd say buy the plane you like and keep your control rates lower than required for 3D, you should be good.

Regards...
teknokraze is offline Find More Posts by teknokraze
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,376 Posts
Have a look through the - 3D Foamies forum , - but click on the tiny 'paperclip' symbol at the end of a thread title first, it allows you to see just the pictures in the thread.
Then if you like what you see, read the thread.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:53 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,330 Posts
I have the Advance, converted to tail dragger. It is fun to fly, and pretty mellow on low rate. I'd go 25 motor and 3 cell to keep it lighter if you go that route. More of a low wing trainer/sport plane, not 3d.

I also have the Carbon Z Yak. It flies well, but doesn't have that light, easy to do high alpha stuff feel. Other downside is the price. Coulda built an extreme flight with cheap motor, but the advantage is parts can be replaced easily and reasonably priced.

Two other sport planes I have and like:

GP electro stick- flies very well, though I would prefer more aileron authority.

Handy King or smaller Handy Man. Great knife edge, and fun to snap roll, fun on windy days. Pretty tough. Reasonable price. Can be quite tame on low rates.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
I have the Advance, converted to tail dragger. It is fun to fly, and pretty mellow on low rate. I'd go 25 motor and 3 cell to keep it lighter if you go that route. More of a low wing trainer/sport plane, not 3d.

I also have the Carbon Z Yak. It flies well, but doesn't have that light, easy to do high alpha stuff feel. Other downside is the price. Coulda built an extreme flight with cheap motor, but the advantage is parts can be replaced easily and reasonably priced.

Two other sport planes I have and like:

GP electro stick- flies very well, though I would prefer more aileron authority.

Handy King or smaller Handy Man. Great knife edge, and fun to snap roll, fun on windy days. Pretty tough. Reasonable price. Can be quite tame on low rates.
Thanks for that, i was also looking at the carbon z yak, i will look at the others too, but thats the idea - a low wing trainer sounds good.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:08 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,156 Posts
From the HK AUS warehouse: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...obatic_3D.html

You should find something in there that looks interesting, and most have at least some reviews good and bad.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
GWS Formosa. A bit quirky to build, but flies a treat. A classic mini-pattern plane. Won't break the bank, either.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,042 Posts
Don't be afraid of balsa. It's actually quite tough, it doesn't just shatter. Often I find it flies MUCH better than foam does.
Plus 90% of the time if you crash it, a little time spent repairing it and you can't even tell it had been crashed, as opposed to foam which, although it'll break less and be more quickly repairable, starts looking really bad after a few good crashes.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Have a look through the - 3D Foamies forum , - but click on the tiny 'paperclip' symbol at the end of a thread title first, it allows you to see just the pictures in the thread.
Then if you like what you see, read the thread.
Wow, i learnt something new again, the paperclip symbol makes everything so much easier.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,259 Posts
Have you seen the Flyzone Millennium Master? Nice foam sport plane with trike gear. I just got one but haven't put it in the air yet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703003

RX-ready version is on sale for $89 'til the end of the month at Tower, and they ship internationally.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella View Post
Hi all, i am starting to look into a new plane, i have checked all the sites but without anyones real world experience to go by i feel a bit lost.
What i have been flying lately is - fun cub, xeno, HK mini swift and a couple of scratchbuilds. What i am after is a predictable and proven sport type plane to step up to, i have been recommended a parkzone t28 and p51 but to be honest i really like the looks and ability of the edges/yaks/extras etc. I am looking for something foam and something i can handle, i dont think i could do 3d yet so is there a in between plane. I also really like the look of the eflite advance 25e - but it is balsa.
So any suggestions,
Thanks.
Mick.

Edit: I am in Australia
Just a couple months after i started flying i picked up a park zone thunderbolt, it was an absolute hoot, lots of fun. Having said that, you can pick up an equivalent warbird from HK for half the price, including shipping.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
GWS Formosa. A bit quirky to build, but flies a treat. A classic mini-pattern plane. Won't break the bank, either.
I like this and the price tag too, i am also starting to like the look of muliplex acromaster - a bit pricey but thats ok.
I will keep searching, preferably for something with a nice detailed finish to it, this will be like a prize for me - once i convince the household finance partner
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
One of my favorite pattern/parkflyers is the Hacker SuperZoom and bigger.
I have several of them as well as dozens of other EPP planes.
There sold as 3d planes, but set-up with less throws, I've had kids able to fly them after a couple flights on the trainer.
The midwing design flys truer and a bit more stable than a low wing.
Being EPP, they are tuff, and repair alot easier than most.
If set-up light, they'll fly in a small area and land slow enough to catch.
The full airfoil wing does very well in over 20mph winds.
There perty easy to assemble.
They will take many different motors, depending on how much power you want.

The one I'm flying now, is built lite, 1000mm wing, 10.5ozs, with only a $8.00 24g outrunner on it, but will hand launch straight up!.
They are mostly painted profile fuselages, but they do make a nice looking full fuselage all out of EPP.
I've had several of the Formosa's, but the SuperZoom is my current favorite.
There's several on Ebay for sale and they come out of Europe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hacker-Super...item2a264e5e93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hacker-Extra...item2a1953de16
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 AM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
parkzone polecat
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob