HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:15 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
continue with the outer pannels.... after all the ribs were glued we added also the triangle reinforcements gussets between the ribs and trailing edge. Also a personal touch were to continue the shear webs just two more passing the polyhedral filler toward the tip...
We cut and glued with epoxy the tips blocks of 2 cm. light balsa to do more latter the antivortex tips...
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:20 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
And now it is time to carve that fancy...nice looking anti-vortex wing tips. I glued with ciano the bent wire to serve as a guide and reinforcement of the tips trailing edge...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:26 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
I just sanded until reach the main forms and wait till the final wing sanding before covering to finish also the wintips shape...
After finish the wing tips work, we began the sanding as necessary to get a good fit on the spars of both, main and outer pannels on the polihedral joint as preparation to joining them...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post

A similar aproach to your job, Rob. Please, can you give us some info about de propulsion set-up...
Sorry for the delay in responding! I've had guests in town for a while and I've not had much time to be in here looking around. I'm going to use a NEU 1105 that I have left over from an old Pulsar that met an untimely end! It fits great, and will work perfectly - at least I think it will!? I plan on using a 45 ESC, and as for battery that I still have to decide upon. I've got a couple of options here but will wait to see what weight is needed, and if I can get the battery forwards, and use a lighter one, I'm going that route. Trying to keep the weight of the electric gear as low as possible.

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:45 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
Tx for the info Rob, my idea is to use a similar set-up. An Axi outrunner 2820 12, 45 amp. speed control, 3S 1P 2.200 mah. battery, and 13 x 6ī5 aeronaut carbon folding prop with a vented nose cone.
Radio is a Futaba 10C, with TowerPro MG16R digital mini servos on fuse, and others 9 grs. micro servo inside each spoilers bay..., not sure yet about the receiver if a original Futaba 7ch. or Frsky....
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,213 Posts
i'm really glad to see this...

Hi Manolo.
I love this kind of build thread. Glad to see you put in the false half rib between root rib and #1 rib(= no balsa sheeting 'crunchie' sound from human fingers pressing too hard). You can't have too many gussets, especially if you want to avoid having to repair the broken joint at the rib/TE locations.

thanks for the pictures and build commentary,
john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Hi Manolo.
I love this kind of build thread. Glad to see you put in the false half rib between root rib and #1 rib(= no balsa sheeting 'crunchie' sound from human fingers pressing too hard). You can't have too many gussets, especially if you want to avoid having to repair the broken joint at the rib/TE locations.

thanks for the pictures and build commentary,
john s.
Tx very much for your kindly words, John...Actually what I plan to do on the center sheeting is, before ad the upper sheeting, to glue two balsa blocks matched with the airfoil shape..., the rear block is to drill the holes for the screw wing mounting and the front one is to fix the alignement round dowells that passing by the modified main fuse bulkhead.
A similar job like I did on the Bird Of Time, ( it is possible to see these steps on the video.. ).
After the sheeting will be added, sanding and filler, I plan to glass over a inch or so of the center sheeting too and a plywood cap near the trailing edge were the screws will be to reinforce this are. No metal rods will be added on this area, because I think that with these mods and a screw wing mount these will not be neccessary...
I canīt posting at the same time that building, the thread it is two or three days later, but.., let me show what it is the idea...
Manolo.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
By the way, I know that it is not the old OlyII, but it is another oldie and one of the very best on their days for slope soaring.
Last saturday evening it was a stormy wheather with a light but steady sea winds, so I couldnīt resist and leave the workbench to go for some slope time...
If you likes the vintage sailplanes, for sure that you will like this also...
Manolo.

ULTIMATE´S BOB MARTIN´S COYOTE SLOPE GLIDER (14 min 23 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
Ok buddies.., letīs continue with the Oly build. Now itīs time to joining the polihedral joints. We cheked that spars have a good fit and sanded as neccesary to get a nice bond without gap. Use 30 min. epoxy and glued the rear plywood reinforcement tongue and 5mm. gussets.
Check twice that both outers pannels are at the correct heigh and it is time to go with the epox..., be neat with the joints and do not smear too much and things will be easier on the sanding...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
After the epoxy has cured, we glued both halves of the joint rib, added the gussets as said and meanwhile we repeated these steps on the other pannel we added some balsa pieces on both spoilers sides so covering have more surface to hold when we will cut the holes in the monokote for the spoilers bay cause this area is proned to peel off with the time...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
We continued working on the other pannel cause for the next step we wanted have both wing pannels at the same stage. Now lets work on the center joint. First and before add the upper sheeting we added two balsa blocks matched with the airfoils shape for the wing-bolt option that we choosed instead rubber bands.
These blocks will serve latter to drill the holes for the screw and could screwing it without broke or crushing the sheeting and the from one will serve to glue the front dowel...
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Beautiful work UltimateTwo! I really enjoy watching your build of the wings, as I have to do that next. I'm still fine-tuning the tail surfaces -getting them to taper "just right", fit perfectly, and look all neat and tidy. I'm almost there, and when completed I'll move onto the wings.

Thanks again, and I really appreciate all of the photographs that go along with your explanation!

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
Tx a lot for your support and kindly words, mate. Take your time and please, feel free to add pics and ask anything about your build. If I know I would help and glad to do....
Cheers.
Manolo.
And now lets work on the root half wing alignment. We drilled the pin hole on the two plywood root ribs at the same time and installed the main rod. Try to drill the rear pin at the same angle that the main rod. After that y epoxied the alum. tubes inside the balsa blocks...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
When everything is ok then we glued with epoxy the rear tubes and installed both half wings with the rods installed and smeared a little with silicone grease just in cause. We doesnīt want a full 99 inch. wing, cause I canīt transport on my Renault Scenic.., so just in case as said I put some grease on the rods.
Meanwhile things are drying we " paint " all joinst on the wing with white glued mixed with some water and used a modellers paintbrush for apply the white glue to the wood.
We are going to use 9 grs. servos on each spoilers so now it is time to cut a round hole on the bottom sheeting to open the exit for the servos wires...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
After we cut the round holes for the cable servos exit on the bottom sheeting, we added also some balsa triangles sheeting on the other half wing on each side of the spoilers bay.
We begin the top center sheeting cutting the 1/16 wood and also as in the bottom, we added the quarter round moon shape cut on the fit between the top sheeting and leading and trailing edges. We glued the sheeting pieces with alifatic glue and pinned while drying...