HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
Success fanatic
Buford, Georgia
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
Help!
Problems with calibration

I am using a combination of A Patch antenna and A dipole using the diversity setting so that when the antenna turns away from the plane, I still have picture. The system always set up at 139" with the plane setting in front of me on the runway. The system will set up the first two or three calibrations, but when I go to set it for Max
Clock wise or Max Counter Clock wise...it goes Nuts. The antenna starts turning and keeps on turning until I cut the power and unplug the servos. (It will not reset unless I Unplug the servos) Sometimes when trying to calibrate another angle....it will just sit there...then it goes nuts. Surely this has happened to someone out there. I would greatly appreciate some ideas.
asael is offline Find More Posts by asael
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi, and sorry to hear you're having an issue.

Here are a few questions:

1) Are you calibrating the tracker with the RC stick menus, or with the PC software? Some people find the PC software easier to use. If you want to give that a try, I'd recommend installing our "beta" software version 10.43 from our website here, and using the PC calibration (under the OSD Pro setup screen).

2) What type of servos are you using? Are they "continuous rotation" servos, or just standard servos?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
Success fanatic
Buford, Georgia
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
Asael

I am using continous rotation/ I'll take up your suggestion. At the moment, I am
redesigning my patch antenna assemble. I am moving the Pan Servo to the
moving portion of that assemble to eliminate a servo wire coming from a stationary location to a moving antenna. Also installed a 900 mhz video transmitter to transmit the video to my truck, to eliminate all wires. That antenna is NOW wireless.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
Success fanatic
Buford, Georgia
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
Asael

I took the time to use my PC to calibrate this system. Everything was going great
calibrating the Pan..it was so easy. Then I go to do the tilt. The antenna did not move. I substituted another similar Servo, but it would not move either. I can tell there is voltage to it. Then the antenna decides to start turning and keep on turning
til I cut the power. When I pulled the usb from the recorder on the plane..then I could restore power to the antenna without it turning crazy. I wish someone would help me. Surely... I'm not the only one this has happened too.

I AM GETTING VERY WEARY OF TRYING TO WORK WITH THIS EAGLE TREE EQUIPMENT
Last edited by asael; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
I had similar problems with a GWS servo that gives more than 360 deg. In the pan. I conclude that when you pass from a certain angle it continues turning without stop. I solved just using +- 180 deg from the central point.

For the tilt I am also having problems as I wrote in other thread: I am able to calibrate it but it doesn't move neither with the flight simulation nor the real flight. The servo has voltage and you can not move it so it ceives a bad signal from the eagletree. The beta version didn't solve my problem
jcabetas is offline Find More Posts by jcabetas
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
aseal/jcabetas, could you post your OSD Pro configuration file (.TXT) here? Then, I can check your tilt calibration. The config file is collected by clicking "save configuration" on the OSD Pro setup screen in the PC software.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Asael,

I could not get a continuous rotation servo to work for me either.

I ended up using a 180deg. servo. That is all you need for both pan and tilt.

I put together a Eagle Eyes calibration tutorial here.

Eagle Tree Eagle Eyes Tracking Antenna Tutorial (30 min 1 sec)

If you need more tutorials for Eagle Tree products you can find them

in my blog.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717573

Hope it helps

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson