HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
ok, where is the best place for the surface 805 LEDs?

I was looking for strips i can cut but every thing i find is 12V.
What is the V range LED i should be looking for, just 3v and run a resistor?
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
ok, where is the best place for the surface 805 LEDs?

I was looking for strips i can cut but every thing i find is 12V.
Try these : http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=...sn=goodbuy7888
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
If those smd leds are used, what smd resistor would need to be used with them to run on a single cell lipo?
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfool View Post
If those smd leds are used, what smd resistor would need to be used with them to run on a single cell lipo?
I see the voltage is low.
I don't need the 805 but i see that's what has been used before..
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:51 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
Small LED's (5mm and under) colored Green, Blue and White run at 3V...Red LED"s run at 2.7V.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
So I'm a relative newbie but I purchased a Walkera LadyBird from Helipad.com about two months ago. I got the Devo 7 bc I wanted a more accurate radio and I'm glad I did. I don't understand the rudder/aileron mixing that's been mentioned here. I have not been able to find anything about that . What I do know is that there is a gyro that the sensitivity can be set, both through the gyro channel on the radio and there is a tiny pot on the top of control board. Along with setting the gyro sensitivity the switch I bind to that function allows me to switch to "rolling mode" which turns off red led and turns on green led. I was led to believe that this was the difference between 6 axis and 3 axis. But then some people tell me that V2 does not have 6 axis. Well the only thing I know for sure is that when the green led is on you can do flips and with the red led on you can't.
You can search on YouTube for "setting rolling mode on Walkera radio" and actually see how to program the different Walkera radios and actually see the result of the LEDs changing state.
My package came with a CD that had the manual on it, but the English version was corrupted so I had to search and find it online. I just tried to find the manual online so I could pass on this info but I could not find it. Actually it's called a "user handbook". That's where I found the info on the pot for gyro sensitivity. Also had a section for setting up transmitter that normally came with it (2402D). It also listed optional settings for all the Devo transmitters. I just noticed in the handbook that there is a way to set the flight mode (red/green led) on the 2402D. I'll post it if anybody is interested.
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
Info on gyro and flight modes

I found this which explains setting flight mode and adjusting gyro on board:

http://www.walkera.com/cn/upload/exp...%20V2_expe.pdf

Page one is in Chinese page two is in English.
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Speaking of LEDs... the 0805s I ordered last week arrived last night. Wow, these things are small! I must admit, I'm glad I chose to order them pre soldered to leads and a resistor. There is absolutely no way I could have attached them to the resistor and the magnet wire without having a nervous breakdown lol.

Still waiting on the power connector to arrive though. The local hobby store didn't end up having the losi micro-t connector in stock But I added one to my order from Terrance in the online store mentioned earlier . ( Thanks again for that ) I also have a green smiling version of the canopy coming... I couldn't resist.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
Speaking of LEDs... the 0805s I ordered last week arrived last night. Wow, these things are small! I must admit, I'm glad I chose to order them pre soldered to leads and a resistor. There is absolutely no way I could have attached them to the resistor and the magnet wire without having a nervous breakdown lol.

Still waiting on the power connector to arrive though. The local hobby store didn't end up having the losi micro-t connector in stock But I added one to my order from Terrance in the online store mentioned earlier . ( Thanks again for that ) I also have a green smiling version of the canopy coming... I couldn't resist.
where did you find these with resisters? I found some on ebay but the resistance was set for a train track model.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:15 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Well hopefully I didn't make that mistake, as mine were ordered from a train accessory place Doh! I need to check the resistors on them I think... let me peek at them shortly after I finish fixing dinner.. (I have a bad feeling lol)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
Well hopefully I didn't make that mistake, as mine were ordered from a train accessory place Doh! I need to check the resistors on them I think... let me peek at them shortly after I finish fixing dinner.. (I have a bad feeling lol)
found this today
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

may help. It depends on what the voltage is they based the R off of. I would think the train's power supply V is consistent. The heli lipo at full is 4.2V and ends where ever the cut off is. Most LVC are set at 3.2 for default for land RC.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:08 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Yes, thanks for that as well. The smd's are 3.2fv @20mA . They have a 1k ohm resistor on em. To be honest, I didn't give it a second thought at the time, as I was just excited to see one prewired after a few minutes of google searching lol.

Not a perfect match according to the calc on the page you linked. From the output, "The wizard recommends a 1/8W or greater 56 ohm resistor. The color code for 56 ohms is green blue black". So I'm off a bit it seems with what comes with the smd as it's wired currently.

Easy enough to remedy if required though. Much easier to solder that on than the leads to the led actually.

Oh, I picked these up at sbs4dcc.com.
Last edited by Tony Twoskids; Nov 06, 2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
i agree. i may still get some also. I emailed the supplier on ebay to see if he would sell some with out the resistor.

Here's what i am confused on, the 56 ohms is based on a full charged lipo.. .use the calc to see what resistor you need as the voltage goes down from the packs use.

So i'm torn what size resistor to use based on what V.
I know now why Hammer built his with the special component that helped keep constant current.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
This is refreshing my memory on basic electronics to be sure, as it's be awhile. It all makes better sense now as you say with regards to the constant current regulation

I think I may experiment and find a happy medium somewhere in there. It's easy and relatively cheap enough to play around with it. Time is my only hindrance, as my toddler does a fine job of "resisting" and "limiting" my flight time and project timetables
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
let me know what you come up with.

I just found a thin small CF rod from a really small kite. I think i may use that to put out of the front to maybe get a better idea where it is when i'm further than my vision can see..

On another note, Can you all twist your rod that the motor is on? 2 out of 4 of my rods will twist. They don't bend, just twist. Is that normal for CF?