HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
100 Posts
Discussion
Running gear suggestion for fun scale landing craft?

Howdy Folks,
I'm scratch building a "fun scale" landing craft and am in need of advice as to what the running gear should be.
Stats.
Boat is 48" long, 15" wide.
Hull is 1/4" ply coated in epoxy resin (worked like a charm- to hell with fiberglass!)
Power supplied by 1 (or 2 haven't decided) 7 amp hour SLA battery. Going with 12v system.
Going with one rudder and one prop.
Here's what I'm wondering...
What size drive shaft, size prop (and pitch) would be appropriate. Ive never built anything this heavy before.
Anyone know of a package deal being sold anywhere that would be plug and play?
I will post pics once it's not so sloppy to look at.
Thanks,
--Jeff
Holycow is offline Find More Posts by Holycow
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
100 Posts
I've been thinking I might used a drive setup similar to what one would use in a single screw tug?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
When you say 'landing craft' do you mean a Higgins, LST, etc? That would help a lot.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:30 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
100 Posts
Yes.. a WWII LST type craft. The bow door will not be operational (at least initially.) I've build a few scale boats in the past but often I'd be afraid to sail them for fear of snapping off some tiny rail or gun mount. This thing's going to be a tough built "toy." Working lights, spinning radar and the ability to just run around looking cool.
--Jeff