HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:47 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
String
I have not ordered one yet. I got the Vela, but as you know the one I received was not acceptable and is on it's way back to Tower. I am going hold off on getting another one, as I was not as taken with it as I had hoped.

So, I am going to move forward on one of these. I am kind of wanting to get the Carbon Fiber looking hull with the standard deck, not sure yet. I don't I will go the same route as you are doing. I can always paint it to get the look I am after.

I got my Traxxas Summit Tuesday, and have been having fun with that the last few days. It is an amazing truck. Not much it won't climb up and over.

I'll let you know what I end up with
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:53 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Boomer one for sale up in the L.A. area.

http://www.lbmyc.com/class_custom2.cfm
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:31 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
new boat.

I understand Boomer. Sorry the Vela did not work out. JD likes his but has some issues to work out with it. My boating friend Bruce also wanted a smaller boat than his Seawind and that he could transport with sails on so I talked him into ordering a Magic too tonight. We should have them next week. I got a ship notice with tracking number a hour after I ordered this morning. The only thing that was weird was I swear they went up in price since this morning. Mine was 170 something and tonight they were 185.00. Don't know whats with that. Will check tomorrow and confirm.

Stringfly <>++++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:36 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Boomer one for sale up in the L.A. area.

http://www.lbmyc.com/class_custom2.cfm
That kit is sold. Sorry!
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:00 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
Yep, a little too late. Thank you for the tip any way.
Boomer
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Building the MM

Here is a link to a very useful website.

http://www.freewebs.com/peterbsmicromagic/

There are links to a PDF step by step guide & the parts list with pictures is a good starting point..

The only Upgrades I would suggest is to replace the Push Pull Steering with a Solid Steering Rod. And for convenience make the Rig Removable..

There are a variety of options on how to build but I suggest the first one follow the Kit Instructions..

Cheers & ask as many questions as needed..

waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Thanks waboats. I had found the site yesterday but could not remember where.
Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
price increase ??????

Yep, there was a price increase on the reg. Micro Magic yesterday at Graupner USA. I bought one in the morning at 178.40 and then yesterday evening it was 185.90......did the Euro increase or something ??? The Micro Magic Racing version is 219.95 and the carbon look one is 239.12 but both out of stock until
mid March. FYI.... shipping is 15.00 plus 4.50 handling. So add 19.50 to the above prices. Will post some pics of the kit when it arrives.

BTW Boomer, you might change the thread title to Micro Magic

Also if anyone here has built one, what adhesives to you recommend besides all the UHU glues recommended ?. I have UHU POR but that's it. I do have all different CAs and epoxy's though.

Stringfly <>++++++
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
As I understand it, Graupner USA just got a new shipment of the Micro Magic, and so the price may (I'm not sure) have gone up because the new shipment costed them more. Just speculation of course.

YOu guys do know you're buying the regular MM, not the more preferred (and more expensive) Racing MM? If that's what you intended that's fine--it's a good boat too, the boat that started it all, but the Rmm has some upgrades that help it sail better.

Andy
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:17 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
Some very nice looking boats in this photo. Worth sharing. I sure would like to know where to get sails like those in the picture!
I really like the red one!
Boomer
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
MM regular.

Yes... flatland, we know we are just getting the regular MM. Others just not available right now. Graupner does have many of the parts for the racing MM and might up grade to some of the parts. We don't know sail colors yet, they said they get what they get from Graupner but boxes don't say. They will be bright yellow or dove gray. Hope for the yellow..... not to hot on gray. They do have a bright orange sail available maybe like the one in the picture Boomer but very pricey. I may just sew up my own out of 1/2oz Icarex polyester....have some from my kite builds. Those are nice boats Boomer, will have to paint the hull some nice color.

Stringfly <>++++++
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:31 PM
Neptune, New Jersey
Joined Nov 2010
31 Posts
As for the glues & adhesives, Graupner is now carrying the Staibilt Express. This is a two part epoxy and will not melt the abs on the hull and deck. It does work great and will give you plenty of time to set the deck right when you install it. When they say to practice fitting the deck to the hull several times you'll understand why.

Good Luck!!!
skipper67 is offline Find More Posts by skipper67
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:46 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Thanks skipper,
Yes.... I do have some Pattex Stabilit Express.... a thick gooey stinky stuff mixed in the little tray with the white powder from Hobby Lobby. Great for disimilar materials. Used a while back on a Robbe scale sailplane. Will give that a try.

Stringfly <>++++
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
MM Coloured Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Some very nice looking boats in this photo. Worth sharing. I sure would like to know where to get sails like those in the picture!
I really like the red one!
Boomer
Boomer

The sail material in the MM (racing) is ICAREX... It comes in a variety of colours & can be joined using the standard sail making materials. Needs a bit of skill though.

The Carbon comes with Red sails (well Fleuro Orange really) . I swapped mine for standard Kit Sails with a guy who was wanting everything red.. We both ended up happy.

If you want coloured sails check this out for what can be done..

Micro Magic - Wietzepark - MM Regio Nord Cup 2008 (5 min 14 sec)

(Can't work out how to upload meself) Ooops it worked...

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Feb 05, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:27 PM
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Yes... flatland, we know we are just getting the regular MM. Others just not available right now. Graupner does have many of the parts for the racing MM and might up grade to some of the parts. We don't know sail colors yet, they said they get what they get from Graupner but boxes don't say. They will be bright yellow or dove gray. Hope for the yellow..... not to hot on gray. They do have a bright orange sail available maybe like the one in the picture Boomer but very pricey. I may just sew up my own out of 1/2oz Icarex polyester....have some from my kite builds. Those are nice boats Boomer, will have to paint the hull some nice color.

Stringfly <>++++++
Excellent. Just making sure. Sandy at Graupner USA tells me that he's got lots of racing MM kits on order. They should be here soon. I am actually building a Mark I right now as well. Upgrading the Mark I is what led to the Racing MM--the evolution of things if you will. Good luck on your build. The MM is a great boat!