SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Discussion
Virgin Flying Site Checklist....

So --- you pull up on site. You're alone - your medium range FPV rig/tripod in tow. This rig and GS has been maidened and tested at your "home" site to 3km although no1 on RCG knows this (woops, did I say that out loud??). You have no automated RTH capability nor do you have a lost-model locator. This will be your 1st and likely last time at this site. You have exactly an hour to burn. In addition to your rig you have these items at your disposal:

1) laptop : wireless card (internet access)
2) Blackberry PDA with full saturation and internet
3) your vehicle
4) binocs

You grab your FPV field-kit... check all the batteries for the gear and backup batteries. You are good to go.

What do you do before

a) setup
b) launch

and what do/can you do during the flight to make sure your chances of success are in your favor? What things do you look for?
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Dec 23, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quick ground scan. Look for significant landmarks. Get a general idea of flight.

Launch - climb out to 400' or so and take a look around. Try to pick a landmark near where I am. Couple of quick circles - and off I go.

Hope that the OSD doesn't cr@p out on me and fly as I normally would. As long as I'm not getting bad interference - I'll keep doing what I want. It's not like the loss of video signal hits all at once - typically you have some warning - unless there is a total failure - in which case - procedures for finding a lost plane vary.

I wouldn't go for a distance record at a place that I have never flown before - but if I fly to 3km regularly - and know that my equipment can handle it - I would have no reason to fear. Just for precaution - becasue I may not know if there are sources of interference - I might stay within 2km... might.

Overall - I repeat the exact same routine every time - including making a couple of circles at 400 or so feet... it's just how I do it.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
So you roll out - have a look --- head further - have another look - further, random circles to make sure you have a solid link in a bank - etc. I think I got it. What online tools (I'm a computer systems engineer so I'm never more than an arms length away from the web) do you use to look at topology? Cell phone tower map? Etc. Also are there any trajectory or signal propagation tools that people use for simulating LOS in all directions/ranges from a given point?? I'd like to develop a checklist and kinda have these online tools in a holster so I can do quick research on-site or doing mission-planning before a flight.
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Dec 23, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Best I'll do is Google Earth for a look around. I'm more concerned with my landmarks than anything. It's easy to get turned around without an OSD.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
France
Joined May 2010
537 Posts
If you can, check the area with google earth, look for good landmark. Find visually a good place to launch and the most important, a good area to land (no obstacles in the axes and facing the wind). Check any cell phone/TV etc... transmission tower, if you find one be carefull and don't go for your max range at the beginning.

Be sure you won't be distured by peoples (you don't want to explain 100 times how fpv is working when you wear googles and you need to be focused on your plane)
Alcyon13 is offline Find More Posts by Alcyon13
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:08 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Per 1. Google map the area. (Top off batteries while looking)
Per 2. Drive to site.
Per 3. Put gun in pocket
Per 4. Turn off phone.

1. Setup.
2. Plug batteries in.
3. Look around. (While getting GPS lock)
4. Put chair out.
5. Press record.
6. Fly.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Last edited by man2000me; Dec 24, 2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
1. Check for RF noise floor. Disconnect your RX antenna and move the aircraft away until the video feed goes out. The distance is proporional to the amount of noise. Then turn of your airplaned, reconnect your antenna and see if you have any competing video feed (doubtful, but possible).

2. Identify landmarks and a runway. You need a good clear place to land. Identifying more than one runway is even better.

3. Get out of the way of people traffic or prepare for it. If in a parking lot, guard yourself with your car. If in a field in the open, stay away from people who could walk up and touch your equipment.

4. Fly

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Never thought of the noise floor checks in that manner. Keep the tips coming guys - thank you.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
If in a field in the open, stay away from people who could walk up and touch your equipment.

-Alex
Wow! So far I haven't had my equipment touched while flying, I'll make sure I stay inside with windows rolled up, last thing I need is a lot lizard trying to drum up business when I'm trying to fly!
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po73 View Post
Wow! So far I haven't had my equipment touched while flying, I'll make sure I stay inside with windows rolled up, last thing I need is a lot lizard trying to drum up business when I'm trying to fly!
Then you've never read this.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,428 Posts
www.windfinder.com for forecasts and current weather.

http://skyvector.com/ for airspace.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po73 View Post
Or this

CNN: John Tyner to TSA security 'Don't 'touch my junk' (2 min 6 sec)

Don't touch my junk when I'm tryna fly.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
I could say the same for a site you usually fly at as well... ...when snow covered it is totally different.. flew today for the first time (i think) in the snow, and whoah i was disoriented for the first 30 seconds... and i did a loop too haha that was fun
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Last edited by paintz2007; Dec 23, 2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: speelingg
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:23 PM
Just dog tired.
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
It might be worthwhile to pick up some inexpensive traffic cones from your local hardware store as well. If you are flying near a roadway put them around your vehicle.

This will warn drivers of your presence and also tend to keep pedestrians away. A "Men At Work" sign also helps. With all the electronics people will assume you are a local workman doing... something they don't understand and aren't interested in.
Wearyman is offline Find More Posts by Wearyman
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:33 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Like this?

:
OR
:

:
OR
:

:

orrrrr.... maybe...

Last edited by SENTRY 62; Dec 23, 2010 at 07:53 PM.