HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:32 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Discussion
Converting DX6 to 36MHz:possible?

Hi. I have a JR Max66 (prolly called something else in US) on 36MHz. I also have a DX6 I use as a buddy box. Seeing as its the same tranny bar the frequency, does anyone know whether its easily doable to swap bits from one to the other ie convert the DX6 to 36MHz using the Max66 as a donor (and vice versa). I could really use the 10 model memory in the DX6 but have no plans to go 2.4.
Cheers, simon
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:54 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Should be a drop in swap between the two of the T-shaped RF board. I don't get it though. If you take the RF board out of the Max66 and put it in the DX6 how will you be any better off ? Surely a better plan would be to buy some AR6000 Rx and use the DX6 on 2.4GHz with all its many benefits ?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:26 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Nah, I'm not really interested in going 2.4, especially if I need to buy a heap of ar6000s to use with a DX6. I fly slopers so would prefer a full range radio which the DX6 isn't, strictly speaking. Like I said, I bought the DX6 S/H just to use as a buddy box, but seeing as it has 10 model memory as opposed to 6 for the Max66 I thought I'd see if it was an easy swap. The Max does nearly everything I need and the DX6 is identical functions and menus wise. If I were upgrading to a better radio ie spending money, I'd still go 36MHz. Thanks for the RF board tip, I'll open it up tomorrow for a look.
Cheers, s
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:31 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Ah, I did not realise that the Max66 only had six memories, now I understand your motivation. The DX6/AR6000 would be fine for your slopers unless they are CF. The range is over a mile in the air, the ParkFlyer designation has more to do with shadowing than range. Anyway good luck with it. Post back to let us know how it works out.

BTW, if the Max66 offered you the choice between PPM and PCM you won't have that menu in the DX6 so perhaps that might be a problem ?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:44 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that... Anyway, I'll have a look. It's too bad that AR6000 are a bit expensive. I have a pile of RX already so thats my main reason for staying on 36. Thanks kgfly.
Cheers, simon
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:01 PM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Possibly do-able but where would be the type certification for your hybrid radio if you have an accident and claim against you and the insurance company starts sniffing around, trying to get out of paying the claim. Apparently insurance companies are reluctant to pay out if they can squirm out of it. Who would have thought it?
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:05 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
There are many options. For example, you could convert your DX6 to Corona DSSSv2 and use their inexpensive Rx. Tx module + Rx for about $50, 4ch Rx for about $25 and 6ch Rx for about $30: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idCategory=292

While the first two version of the Corona 2.4GHz were not good, the DSSSv2 has had shining reviews. See here: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/

You harvest the board out of the Corona JR Tx module and install it in your DX6 in place of the DSM RF board. Examples here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098611

If you are patient, apparently Corona is coming out with a new universal hack module called the CT8Z DSSS which will make it a little cheaper and easier.

One advantage of this approach is that there is no certification problem, 2.4GHz Tx are covered by different rules and so long as the Tx module has FCC approval it is legal in Oz regardless of what Tx it is installed in.

If you end up with a spare DSM board+antenna out of your DX6 I have a use for it
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:37 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the advice guys. This is what RCGroups is about...knowledgable crew helping out us dummies I shall have a read of those links.
Thanks again,
simon
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:11 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Those little pins on the 3 pin plug (black yellow red) are a bugger to unsolder. Seems like the pins are an interference fit so cant get them out even after removing the solder.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Ok, I've done the experiment, and it seems to work
I'll just have to take it down the slope and see how it goes I guess.
Next Q: The 36MHZ Max66 has a peice of PCB covering the big chip as per the pic. The 2.4 has just a piece of wire across it. I've no idea what it could be for, is it to shield the chip from RF from the antenna and should I be worried?
Thanks, s
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:06 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Well done! I wouldn't worry about it. Do a thorough range check and then just go fly.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Hang on - I was thinking the wrong way around, about changing to 2.4GHz. I do not know the function of that "shield" pcb but if possible I would transplant it too.