Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
New Product
Mach 1 40 - Laser Kit

Fellow classic pattern fans,

Earlier this year, inspired by Jim's re-finishing of a vintage glass/foam 40 size Mach 1 classic (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2046182), I decided to re-design this model in CAD starting from the original RCM plans. The original reduced scale Mach 1, called the Mach 8 (M8), was done by Joe Utasi back some 30 years ago. The 40 size bullet was rather simple compared to the original Norm Page M1 so it looked like a quick (famous last words) and worthy project for a compact little pattern classic. The bulk of the design work was done during December and January evenings and I posted my basically complete drawings early February in Jim's thread. I then had a prototype cut in the first couple of weeks of February followed by an extensive 3 week family visit and holiday. I just now, in the last few days, managed to get this project underway again.

I've made some minor changes to the laser prototype - essentially fine tweaks but I'm overall happy with the simple yet light CAD re-design. The main thing that I added other than changing the top view planform of the fuse (it is now sleeker like the M1 and less boxy) is a former half way down the fuse tail boom. While the fuse is not very long for a 40 size model, the additional 1/8" lite ply former just adds the desired stiffness in that area which only has the 1/8" balsa sides to support any hand holding of the rear of the aircraft. The weight has already been reduced significantly (I believe by about 1/2 lb compared to the original model) to 3.5-4.0 lbs depending on engine, exhaust and landing gear, so the additional former will barely register.

I am sorting out the logistics of the foam cores as the kit would contain all wood necessary except for the wing/stab skins (1/32" balsa) and their square LE/TE hard wood. This hardwood is optional (CF could be substituted for example), not part of the original plan but suggested on my plans. I think they will finish off these sharp airfoils nicely and offer some ding resistance.

One of the main challenges was sorting out the fuse width and internal design in the context of the fuel tank. Both the 60 size M1 and the 40 size M8 have a design that make the fuel tank size and shape somewhat critical but I hope to have addressed this satisfactorily. More on this later as the thread develops.

The specs for the model are 48-1/2" span and 43-1/4" length so this is definitely a little pocket rocket for 40 size engines. My approach and suggestions have been to keep this model as light as possible and to think of it as a 25-32 size model whose specs are very similar. With that in mind, the power plants suggested are very light 40's or more standard 32-36 size engines built into 25 size cases (most engines that size are). The engine mount, which is integral to the design, is setup for 40 size engines as I suspect folks will want to go this route. If you like this model and choose to go with a piped 32-36 engine, some minor mods will have to be made to the engine mount to suit the narrower engine.

The engine I would recommend and will be using in my build is the Norvel AX40 - a very light engine (~11 oz) with significant power (1.4 bhp) for its size and weight. I also plan to use a Macs 6.5 cc pipe and header. These Russian engines are very nicely made, non orthodox in design concept and according to those who run them, very powerful and reliable. Several details on this engine and the alternative and available OS 35AX can be found in Jim's thread mentioned above. Servos recommended for the model are listed on the plans and comprise a mix of micro (throttle), small mini's (ailerons) and large mini's (rudder and elevator). Compact e-tracts are also suggested but in principle could be substituted for either mechanicals or pneumatics with proper planning.

Attached below are the drawings of the CAD plan as well as a simple 2-view of the model. I will follow in another post with some colour scheme pictures and other details.

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Last edited by doxilia; Apr 03, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:15 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Colour Scheme Drawings

Attached below are a few simple colour scheme drawings I came up primarily for the purpose of planning my own model's finish. The scheme and Olympic flag logo in the tail is inspired from details on one of Norm Page's original Mach 1's from back in the 70's.

I hope these pictures provide some inspiration for would be M8 builders.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Apr 03, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:22 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Norvel AX40

Here are a few snaps of the engine that will be used in the prototype build. The prototype model is simply the build of the first laser kit off the cutters table but otherwise the model design is well proven, quite successful in pattern circles back in the day and apparently a blast to fly!

David
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:39 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Laser Kit Prototype.

Below are a few snaps I took of the first laser cut kit. They'll give you an idea of how the fuse is put together. All in all, aside from the care required in fuel tank and nose gear retract selection and installation, the frame up should be quite straight forward. The only other area that will require a little patience is the installation and alignment of the stab. The fuse top 1/4" sheet is sanded to stab top airfoil once the latter is in place. The vertical fin, already pre-cut to foil, is installed last and blended into the stab with fillets.

Because of the various compound curves on this fuse, you may want to shoot it in paint or cover the basic frame up first before installing canopy, dorsal keel and vertical. These last can be shot in paint once the fuse and surfaces have been covered. Indeed blending the paint into the covering or even adding some paint trim to the covered surfaces might be a good way to go.

Incidentally, the additional former discussed in my first post between the wing TE former and the stab LE former is not shown since this was the proto kit. That former will be positioned half way between the two and will also be positioned via notches into the fuse sides as the other formers. The shampoo bottle in the rear is the fuel tank that will be used on the proto and is a 8 oz bottle which is more than ample for this engine which is known for its very low fuel consumption - a big plus on a compact pattern classic. Models built with 32-36 size engines could use either 6 oz or 8 oz tanks. if muffled, a 6 oz tank should be sufficient. If piped, an 8 oz is preferable. Ultimately a 10 oz tank can be fitted with a little effort but really not recommended.

Enjoy! David
Last edited by doxilia; Apr 02, 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 01:08 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
For those interested in a kit

I am just sorting out the kit price details which will largely be affected by the cost of core production and supply as the wood kit costs are settled. The fact that it is a design which calls for foam core surfaces along with the increasing cost of postage these days will render this kit a little more expensive than an all wood model.

As usual, I will be optimizing the shipping costs by ordering several foam core sets (and wood kits) from the supplier(s) and making the individual kits as compact as possible packaging wise so the shipping costs to you will be reasonable.

If you are interested in a kit, please use the RCG email system to drop me a line with your full name, shipping address, phone number and email address. If possible, please also use the subject heading "Mach 8 Kit".

I will add your contacts to an email list and will be sending out an email with kit cost info once it has been finalized. (Your contacts will be safe with me and will not be shared with anyone. They are simply asked for so that I have the information needed to keep in touch with you and eventually ship your kit.)

That said, I hope all those interested can enjoy this pocket rocket classic. It ought to be a really fun lower cost (i.e., low fuel consumption), quick to build CPA pattern trainer. As always, many thanks in advance to all those who support my efforts to bring back classic pattern designs no longer available to us!

David
Last edited by doxilia; Apr 03, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:17 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
All PM's thus far answered via email.

Thanks for your interest fellas!

David
Old Apr 03, 2014, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by hrrcflyer
Joined Oct 2012
68 Posts
Hey David,

You've been a busy little beaver lately, haven't you?........... With this kit and the DB kit you've been offering, I think most of your spare time has been put to good use.........LOL

Even though I'm not planning on acquiring either of your kits (at this time), I just wanted to add a note saying thanks for all of your hard work with the kits and all the help you've given us here and in other forums. I for one, really appreciate what you're doing. It's guy's like you that make Classic Pattern "family" a great group to be a member of.

Take care,
David
hrrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by hrrcflyer
Old Apr 05, 2014, 03:16 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrrcflyer View Post
Hey David,

You've been a busy little beaver lately, haven't you?........... With this kit and the DB kit you've been offering, I think most of your spare time has been put to good use.........LOL
David,

good to hear from you and thanks for chiming in!

So, I spoke with my wife and she's apparently not happy with the "little beaver" descriptor.... Instead, she's authorized me to use the pseudonym "wolf" which she coined some 20 years ago or so.

The designs and kits will hopefully keep coming as they come to fruition for my own building and flying fancy. Cutting one laser kit, ten or 20 comes to the same so as long as there are models I want to build that don't exist, they will be coming off the press. There are others either ready for production, close to or in the development stages. The Mach 8 is now the fourth classic that I've had laser cut from a CAD redesign. The next one will be a 50 size classic with some slight variations on the original design.

Quote:
Even though I'm not planning on acquiring either of your kits (at this time),
What!? What do you mean not planning? You really should re-consider!

Quote:
I just wanted to add a note saying thanks for all of your hard work with the kits and all the help you've given us here and in other forums. I for one, really appreciate what you're doing. It's guy's like you that make Classic Pattern "family" a great group to be a member of.

Take care,
David
Hey, thanks for the kind words. Just having fun and sharing what little I can. We are indeed a great bunch!

Best, David
Old Apr 08, 2014, 11:59 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Gentlemen,

not much longer now. I should have cost details this week.

Keeping relevant info readily available:

If you are interested in a kit, please use the RCG email system to drop me a line with your full name, shipping address, phone number and email address. If possible, please also use the subject heading "Mach 8 Kit".

Thanks, David
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:16 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Just a quick update.

The foam core wing and stab details are being finalized and I should have further news early next week.

After that, I will have kit cost details and will email all interested parties.

Thanks for your patience,

David
Old Apr 14, 2014, 03:48 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Gentlemen,

things on the core front are underway and looking good. Two prototype core sets are going to be sent to me to insure all is well. Kit cores to follow after that.

I'll have pricing details on the kits later this week. I also hope to be able to ship these kits during the first 10 days of May.

Thanks, David
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:47 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Gentlemen,

thanks for your continued interest in this 40 size ballistic classic.

The kits can now be ordered and details on how to place an order were sent out via email. If you have not received an email and are interested in a kit, please send me a PM with your email address and full name and I'll forward the details to you.

Just to note, the kit will be available with or without foam cores to make things as flexible as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you and getting some kits in the mail!

Thanks, David

P.S. The prototype cores are in the mail and should be here shortly. I'll post some more pictures of the model frame up with cores when they arrive.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Star7
Ca. USA
Joined Sep 2008
176 Posts
Are the Norvel AX40 engines currently being imported to the US by anyone? SIG no longer handles them. thanks
Star7 is offline Find More Posts by Star7
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:05 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,306 Posts
Yes they are.

Technically they are no longer called Norvel but NV Engines. You can buy direct from them:

http://www.nvengines.com

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...returning.html

David
Old Apr 25, 2014, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Star7
Ca. USA
Joined Sep 2008
176 Posts
Thank you!
Star7 is offline Find More Posts by Star7