SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,772 Posts
That said, how do you like the 7 joiner in flight?
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 04:39 AM
Find More Posts by 1highfly
Joined Oct 2007
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Gents, it might pay off for you to look at silicone plugs for the hollow portion of your joiners (rather than a foam core). In practice you heat the entire mold assy and the silicone expands from the inside providing additional compaction and lowing your resin content. You actually have to be careful not to squeeze out too much resin during curing! We make a lot of parts at work like this.

-A
as I'm using pre-preg I know that the resin content is as low as you want to have it ..
my resin to fibre is 33% you cant get much lower

what I have found is that there is not much difference in weight from the hollow joiner v's foam due the extra reinforcement need on the side's.. also having a core makes them a very strong joiner

if you look at the supplied joiner from samba the side wall are something like 1.5mm on the standard and 1mm on the SL

Rick
1highfly is offline Find More Posts by 1highfly
Old Today, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by Francesco
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehachapi Jim View Post
That said, how do you like the 7 joiner in flight?
With the original joiner I always had the impression that I had to "drive" the model more carefully in circles and thermal turn, or the model would put the nose down and accelerate. In straight flight the model would also pick up speed as soon as a gust nudged it from the path. All this, of course, compared to my other planes (Maxas and Supras).

With the 7 degree joiner the model almost keeps the turn by itself as soon as the bank angle is established, and it doesn't pick up airspeed as much as before. In straight and level flight it is also smoother and more laterally stable. I am yet to discover any significant drawback.
Francesco is online now Find More Posts by Francesco
Old Today, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by jojoen
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,479 Posts
605g with iron rods moulded in. No foam. Just solid carbon Dont think one can break that one unless the rest of the plane is total..
Jojo
jojoen is online now Find More Posts by jojoen