HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2002, 03:19 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,774 Posts
motor, wing and tailplane incidence

Hi
This is probably the most asked question ever, but I have been looking at a few sp400 designs for pylon models and some sport model and have noticed that the wing incidence and tailplane incidence are both 0 degrees and the motor has no down thrust or any offset to the right. I have always made the wing in my own models at a 2-3 + incidence with the tailplane at 0 degrees, with the motor with 3 degrees down thrust and 1.5 - 2 degrees right offset.
The reason that I'm curious about this (and not disputing it) is because that I'm in the process of making my own pylon model (speedster) and if 0 - 0 incidence for both the wing and tailplane (with a 0 downthrust and offset for the motor as well), is correct and works, then I'm happy to give it a go.
Oh by the way I'm using a MH 43 airfoil as well if that helps with this enquiry. And a flat plank V tailplane (for simplicity)

Later
G
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2002, 08:57 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,869 Posts
Pylon models generally fly straight and level with the wing at a very low angle of attack. The camber in the airfoil is sufficient to provide the necessary lift with the wing at 0 degrees. At high speeds, a very low CL is required. Consequently, no downthrust is required to offset excess lift. A 0-0-0 setup also has the lowest drag.

Pylon models are set up to be neutrally stable in roll. Bank them to a knife edge and centre the ailerons and they will stay banked. Side thrust destroys this neutral behaviour so is not desirable.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Mar 26, 2002, 05:22 PM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,774 Posts
Thank you

Thanks Dave and Jonas (for the email). I had a feeling that it was something to do with aerodynamic and speed. Actually when I went to bed last night I read an article about down thrust and right offset, and found out that with a small prop there is no need for off set as the force is too small to worry about.

Thanks again
G
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece