Old Oct 09, 2014, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by Tesla1856
Let the future tell the truth
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Discussion
Quanum Nova quad - PnF model (Advanced)

This thread is a place for owners of the HobbyKing Quanum Nova Plug-and-Fly quadcopter to share ideas, radio install tips, accessory add-ons, modifications, and to help each other with any required troubleshooting.

It's my belief that it's the computerized FlightController (FC) that defines the multi-rotor's core abilities. The build components of HK's Nova is "locked down" and uses an (APM-based ) APM_V252_V2.0 FC. Technical discussion of topics like after-market radios, Arducopter, MissionPlanner, telemetry, cameras, FPV, etc. are all encouraged.

To participate in this thread, you should own an APM-based PnF Nova (that you installed your own radio in) or a RTF Nova that you completely upgraded from the stock white radio set.

As long as it doesn't become disruptive or confusing, Cheerson CX-20 owners with an Open-Source Version FlightController (APM-based like Nova) can also participate provided the radio system had been upgraded (to Futaba, FrSky, Spektrum, etc.).

It's not my intention to be strict or limiting, but there are already several nice threads on RCGroups for stock RTF Nova, RTF CX-20, beginner's threads, etc.
Tesla1856 is offline Find More Posts by Tesla1856
Last edited by Tesla1856; Mar 20, 2015 at 03:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Helpful Resources

Buy a Quanum Nova - I found it best to checkout with only the Nova in your cart and get the free-fast shipping from HobbyKing. I paid with PayPal. Mine shipped from Kong Kong by SwissPost (with tracking and final hand-off to USPS) to Texas, USA in 8 days. Only comes with APM-Based FC.

Buy a Cheerson CX-20 (OSV) - Open-Source version has APM-based FC.

HobbyKing Nova PnF Radio Install Video - Most initially use Connection Method #2.

Quadcopter-Robotics - My Nova & Taranis Build-Blog

Arducopter - Main website

Advanced Flight Mode Programming of various radios - Can also just search Google for YouTube videos

Advanced APM Flight-Mode switches for Taranis - Using Logical-Switches by ScottFlys and ModellerMark's additions

Default Parameter Files for Quanum Nova/ CX-20 - By ModellerMark

GCS with Telemetry - Arck's video of way-point mission at flying-field

Tuning Nova with Payload - Procedures by CyborgCNC

3DRobotics MAVLink Telemetry to FrSky Telemetry via Teensy 3.1 - Awesome new FrSky telemetry project by ScottFlys

Port Summary and ArduCopter versions on both v2.0 and v5.0 Cheerson FlightControllers - By SkyWarka

Installing PowerModule on ADC Port for APM_252_v5.0 FC - By D3rang3d

New Pilot's checklist - There is a whole thread (see below) but this post by Skywarka is good.

Related Threads: These below are provided only as a convenience.
Cheerson CX-20 General Thread
Quanum Nova & CX-20 Beginners Starter Guide Thread
CX-20 & Nova Beginners Thread
CX-20 RTF with BigShark FC Thread
Quanum Nova (PnF) and CX-20 (BnF) Advanced
Last edited by Tesla1856; May 30, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Faq (Ordering)

Q: I need a new 2.4ghz radio, and can't really afford a Futaba or Spektrum right now. What is the most inexpensive radio I can install?

A: Try to save up and get a Taranis Plus and X8R combo. Minimum choice would be a FlySky FS-TH9x (Turnigy 9x combo is a the HK clone). Most pilots (in the USA anyway) fly Mode-2.

Q: Should I get a Quanum Nova or Cheerson CX-20 (Open-Source Version)?

A: It doesn't really matter because it turns-out that the Quanum Nova is really just a clone of the CX-20 (OSV) anyway.

Q: I've never ordered from HobbyKing before. Is it safe and do you have any tips to avoid problems?

A: I just found them this summer. I have now placed 6 orders (totaling over $750). I eventually got them all (most were amazingly fast, but MalaysiaPost one was lost for a while). I recommend you pay with PayPal (and know your provided protections). When possible, order from your country's warehouse first (ie, if in USA, try to first order items from USA Warehouse). Don't order LiPos from foreign (to you) warehouses because they end up being shipped with unreliable carriers (like MalaysiaPost). When ordering misc items from Foreign warehouse, use DHL-Express as shipping agent (it's track-able and fast). For Quanum Nova itself, SwissPost also performed excellently. At this point, my recommendation is to not order any LiPos from HK at all (or anything that is deemed hazardous) ... everything will go much smoother with (the then allowable) DHL-Express as carrier. These tips are only provided as a courtesy ... lets not fill our thread with HobbyKing customer service related issues.

Q: I've never ordered from BangGood before. Is it safe and do you have any tips to avoid problems?

A: About the same a deal here. I have now placed several orders with them, and everything was fine (from USA and China warehouses). I like to pay with PayPal. When possible, order from your country's warehouse first (ie, if in USA, try to first order items from USA Warehouse). From USA warehouse, I use Free Shipping and it's pretty fast (a week or so). From Chinese warehouse (CN), I like to use the "Priority Direct Mail" option for $1.99 extra (shipping takes 2-3 weeks). Pretty sure this option also upgrades you to "online track-able service". These tips are only provided as a courtesy ... lets not fill our thread with BangGood customer service related issues.
Last edited by Tesla1856; May 18, 2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by Hazakins
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2014
417 Posts
New to the hobby but ordered a RTF Nova but have drained the paypal account with accessories for my Nova and having a blast with it.
List of items purchased and installed.
(From Hobby King)
Quanum Nova FPV GPS Waypoint QuadCopter (Mode 2) (Ready to Fly)
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2)
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger
Multistar High Capacity 3S 4000mAh X6
On-Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm 2s~3s
ZIPPY Compact 500mAh 3S 25C X2
Hobbyking Cell Meter 8 - Lipoly Battery Checker

So about $620 from HK.. Yikes.
Ebay:
GT Power FPV Three Channels Video Switcher for RC Airplane Aerial Photograghy
FATSHARK 600TVL FPV TUNED CMOS CAMERA
5.8GHz Circular Polarized Antenna RP-SMA For RC 5.8G Transmitter/RX FPV
Skyzone FPV Goggles with Diversity by DSLRPros
New Blue LCD Backlight Kit Turnigy 9X DX6i DX7s Color Transmitter US
Kyosho Zeal Vibration Absorption Sheet Gyro/Receiver Mounting Gel KYOZ8006
Cheerson CX-20-019 RC Quadcopter Part Accessary Undercarriage Landing Gear Set X2
TS5823 32CH 5.8G 200mW FPV Mini Wireless Video Audio AV Transmitter
DUBRO PRODUCTS 499 Tru-Spin Prop Balancer
2 Pairs Genuine DJI Phantom 2 Vision + PART3 9" Self-Tightening Propeller Prop
APM 2.5 GPS Serial Port Adapter Cable FTDI GPS Adapter Cable 10cm gi
FTDI Basic 6 PIN 3.3/5V For Arduino(Free USB Cable)
USB 2.0 Micro B Male to A Female Adapter Converter OTG Cable for Google Nexus 7
GPS UBLOX NEO-6M HMC5883L Compass Module
Paraboard Parallel Charge/Balance Board for JST XH Taps & XT60 Connectors
3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915Mhz Module Open source for APM2.5
SJ4000 Action cam.

and
4Pairs 9450 9x5 Self-locking Enhanced Propeller Prop, not received or tested yet.

Dont want to add up my ebay total as it will make me sick

also
Walkera G-2D 2 Axis Brushless Camera from Banggood.

So far everything I have purchased has been a great value add to my Nova except some Chinese 9443 carbon props, total garbage.
Haven't had time to solder up the telemetry.

If anyone had questions about any of the stuff let me know.
Hope to put together a good log of battery charge/discharge and flight times with the Multistar 4000mAh.
Hazakins is online now Find More Posts by Hazakins
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:44 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2014
417 Posts
For a GPS upgrade like I did with the UBLOX NEO-6M this thread by Cyborgcng should be viewed.
GPS upgrade by Cyborgcng
Last edited by Hazakins; Oct 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: link typo
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:48 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2014
417 Posts
I felt like this was a great thread about tuning the Nova using Autotune and autotrim, especially if you add a gimbal, camera, or and addition weight.
Tuning the Nova by Cyborgcng
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by thatpajeroguy
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2014
1,103 Posts
I can never get the auto tune to work properly -_- but the pids from the thread work quite well
thatpajeroguy is offline Find More Posts by thatpajeroguy
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:56 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazakins View Post
Dont want to add up my ebay total as it will make me sick
Nice setup.

Back when the LHS was still in business, the owner's son (also a flier) was ringing up my sale. I asked for my receipt so I could keep track of my expenses, he said " it's fine to keep your receipts, but never add them up ... it will just make you sad. Just use the stuff, go to the field and fly instead". I did and it was fun ... I was happy.

So, I watch my spending a little ... but really just never spend more than I can lose (sorta like gambling) works pretty well.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by m_elias
Joined Sep 2014
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazakins View Post
I felt like this was a great thread about tuning the Nova using Autotune and autotrim, especially if you add a gimbal, camera, or and addition weight.
Tuning the Nova by Cyborgcng
I agree, excellent post/advice!

Having said that, I have also never saved the autotune params, but I'm hoping it will save the day when I bite the bullet and finally mount a gimbal.
m_elias is offline Find More Posts by m_elias
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by Arck
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
856 Posts
Suscribed
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by watsys
Canada, ON
Joined Jan 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Q: I need a new 2.4ghz radio, and can't really afford a Futaba or Spektrum right now. What is the most inexpensive radio I can install?

A: Try to save up and get a Taranis Plus and X8R combo. Minimum choice would be a FlySky FS-TH9x (Turnigy 9x combo is a the HK clone) . However, since I've never owned one, not sure exactly how well it works ( how many flight-modes can be setup, etc.)
The Taranis transmitter is amazing. It has the quality of a Spectrum or Futaba but soooo much more flexible. If you buy an X8R receiver, pay and extra $2 and get the one with two sets of antenna. The hobbyking version seems to have just the PCB antenna and they are not replaceable. Aloft hobbies has the X8R with dual antenna and even if you don't care about the second antenna, you can replace them in case one gets wrecked in a crash.

If you use an X8R receiver, you can connect the sbus to the PPMSUM input so you only have one wire running from the receiver to the FC. You'll need a sbus to cppm converter (they are on aloft) that cost ~$10 which sucks a bit. On the upside, I'm running a 40Amp frsky power monitor which gives me current, voltage and cumulative current usage back on my taranis. I can even set it up to talk to me what the current usage or voltage is but I haven't configured that in the taranis.

I'll probably never run fpv on the Nova so this setup with telemetry data coming down to the taranis is super convenient and takes all the guessing out.

One last thing. The 3.2 arducopter has code to send telemetry to the taranis radio. I'm not sure if this is only if you have a pixhawk, but it's an easy alternative to the traditional tablet or pc telemetry if you don't care about mission planning. I'm planning to look into this some day
watsys is offline Find More Posts by watsys
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:43 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2014
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

A: Try to save up and get a Taranis Plus and X8R combo. Minimum choice would be a FlySky FS-TH9x (Turnigy 9x combo is a the HK clone) ... but not sure exactly how well 9x "fits" ( how many flight-modes can be setup, etc.)
I purchased the Turnigy 9x combo from HK and had good results with it.
using the Hobby king video for PnF Video
and Dennis Baldwin's video on YouTube, I got a full 6 flight modes and still have channels left for the 2 pots for gimbal control, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by Carlcox89
Joined Feb 2010
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsys View Post
The Taranis transmitter is amazing. It has the quality of a Spectrum or Futaba but soooo much more flexible. If you buy an X8R receiver, pay and extra $2 and get the one with two sets of antenna. The hobbyking version seems to have just the PCB antenna and they are not replaceable. Aloft hobbies has the X8R with dual antenna and even if you don't care about the second antenna, you can replace them in case one gets wrecked in a crash.

If you use an X8R receiver, you can connect the sbus to the PPMSUM input so you only have one wire running from the receiver to the FC. You'll need a sbus to cppm converter (they are on aloft) that cost ~$10 which sucks a bit. On the upside, I'm running a 40Amp frsky power monitor which gives me current, voltage and cumulative current usage back on my taranis. I can even set it up to talk to me what the current usage or voltage is but I haven't configured that in the taranis.

I'll probably never run fpv on the Nova so this setup with telemetry data coming down to the taranis is super convenient and takes all the guessing out.

One last thing. The 3.2 arducopter has code to send telemetry to the taranis radio. I'm not sure if this is only if you have a pixhawk, but it's an easy alternative to the traditional tablet or pc telemetry if you don't care about mission planning. I'm planning to look into this some day
Where are you seeing this mate ? looks like a very cool feature
Carlcox89 is offline Find More Posts by Carlcox89
Old Oct 12, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Crash Landing

Crash landed on a tree. I don't think Nova is going to be flying any time soon.

http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot....valuation.html
Last edited by Tesla1856; Feb 02, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by modellermark
United Kingdom, Shropshire
Joined Jul 2011
973 Posts
Great to see this thread gaining momentum!!

Tesla .. sorry about your bump .. hope you are back flying soon

I hope to get a Taranis from Santa if I am a good boy

I am using a Spektrum DX8 with an Orange 8 channel receiver and it is driving me nuts!!

Maybe I just ask too much of it but it is so complex to get it set up how I want it - so I hope that the Taranis will make life a bit easier.

On my Nova I have the usual 5 channels wired in, then 6th for autotune, 7th for gimbal pitch (not bothered about controlling roll - just pitch to give me a head-tracker option if I try FPV with the gimbal on) using the rotary knob, and 8th for start / stop video recording on my iLook camera using the aux2 switch.

For flight modes I use gear and flap switches to give me 5 modes in total so when I came to setup the autotune I was at a loss as to which switch I had left to use!!

I managed to mix in the aileron dual rate switch (didn't think I would be needing that for the quad itself) and tested it with a servo (and viewing in the "monitor" section) and it worked fine .. but when I had put everything back together again and went to do radio calibration it doesn't detect its movement .. I have probably just plugged it into the wrong FC port so will take a look next time I have it opened up.

I am about to test it using QR X350 Pro props (I have 2 different types) - so will report how I get on with those .. ready to go apart from the weather - they need the hole opening up fractionally but the slotted part of the shaft is the same as that of the Nova engines)

I also have a QR X350 Pro body shell on standby .. if it breaks an arm or anything major I will be doing a transplant!!

And... I just ordered a set of light weight servo-less retracts from HK .. so will be looking at doing my own set of U/C for the Nova when they arrive. They are only 18g each so if I can do a really simple light set of legs they should stay pretty light. As they are designed for models up to 2kg I am hoping they will be OK - especially as a quad lands vertically so as long as it is not too fast a plummet they shouldn't take much force anyway.

Will keep the thread updated as I proceed
modellermark is offline Find More Posts by modellermark