just about finished the new toy
playaviation is offline Find More Posts by playaviation
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Si_B
United Kingdom, England, East Grinstead
Joined Nov 2007
117 Posts
Always liked the look of those, but couldn't justify the price of the kit. Have you flown autogyro's before? Looking forward to the flight video.

Cheers,
Simon
Si_B is offline Find More Posts by Si_B
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
446 Posts
Good look with your LA 500...I've always like the look of those but think they are a tad dear.
You may find that a bit of contrasting colours on the bodywork will help with the (dis)orientation

Being a Scunthorpe lad, are you one of the Winterton Club Members ?

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is online now Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by playaviation
Scunthorpe, United kingdom
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo1500 View Post
Good look with your LA 500...I've always like the look of those but think they are a tad dear.
You may find that a bit of contrasting colours on the bodywork will help with the (dis)orientation

Being a Scunthorpe lad, are you one of the Winterton Club Members ?

Cheers
Rich
I have my name on the waiting list for winterton i fly at northmoor and Brieghton at the momoment cheers Andy Ward
playaviation is offline Find More Posts by playaviation
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by britinoz
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,945 Posts
Is that the Andy Ward that made Dave B's models for the mags several years ago??
Chris........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by luvmykids2
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
368 Posts
I will be getting this model for Christmas. i would love to hear your experiences esp with your maiden!
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Jun 02, 2015, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
572 Posts
I have a quick question. The LA 500 is so far my only defeat ,I have never flown this model successfully. My question is simply this . Does this autogyro Require a horizontal stabilizer for flight? Could I just use a rudder on the tail only?
Thanks
TURBOOMNI is online now Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Jun 05, 2015, 04:19 AM
Find More Posts by Graham L
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Hi Turboomni

I did research this some time ago and gather that it depends a lot on the motor thrustline and sideways C of G.

If you hang your gyro by a cord from the motor shaft ( with battery in and blades on) in an ideal world with a pusher it should hang with the nose pointing either straight down which means that the thrustline is exactly on the sideways CG or nose pointing slightly towards the nosewheel meaning that the CG is very slightly above the CG. The second is ideal as a CG below the thrustline makes for instability.

The problem with a pusher is that the motor position is often a compromise constrained by prop size and the distance between motor and boom and it is often difficult to get this right. If your motor is on the thrustline then opening and closing throttle will have very little effect on the model but if it is above or below the CG then you can get pitch changes that push the nose up or down as power is increased or reduced . A Horizontal stab smooths out these pitch changes and helps stop this where there is a difference between sideways CG and thrustline .

The other thing with the LA500 is that it has 2 significant vertical fins on the ends of the horizontal stab and to lose these would probably reduce overall fin area enough to affect straight line stability.I have got a gyro with a small tailplane and fin which wandered off course at low speed especially on landing until I added 2 sub fins under the tailplane. That made it track straight at all times and solved the problem.

There are many factors at play with a gyro but I know it can work as I have seen Gyros such as the Spyro and the Mantis fly with and without a horizontal stab. However they were already well sorted in terms of the setup.

Graham
Graham L is online now Find More Posts by Graham L
Old Jun 05, 2015, 10:00 AM
Joined Sep 2004
572 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply and great info. I will look into your observations. Interesting that all my other auto gyro's are tractors and this is my first pusher. Thanks again.
Old Jun 05, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by SafeLandings
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
5,015 Posts
Turbo,
I would stick with the horizontal stab as the LA has smallish rotors and a low CG which will make it pitch sensitive as Graham suggests. It will almost certainly tuck under as power is applied in a rotor 'off load' situation.
There are a few ways to compensate this effect if you want to have a go.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jun 08, 2015, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2004
572 Posts
Thanks guys for your feedback. I will stick with the stab but safelandings you mention the fact the LA500 has "smallish rotors" So the the disc loading is rather high? I'm thinking maybe I should make some bigger blades. I made a set for my Hobby King Cierva the heartbreak from china based I believe on your plans of the Spiro if I recall that safelandings designed. Do you think that would help? Also it is my first teeter head autogyro so maybe I am missing something there too.
Old Jun 08, 2015, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by sepcter
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Jun 2010
228 Posts
Hi Rich could you give us a short explanation (how to fix it) of the tuck under, or the off load rotor situation
I have one model that wants to do the tuck under trick, anyhow when you get time it would be appreciated.
Kevin
PS how is the quad doing?
sepcter is offline Find More Posts by sepcter
Old Jun 09, 2015, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2007
5,015 Posts
Turb's
If you have the horizontal tailplane fitted the standard blades are perfect and the model flies well. It is a well designed model, just a warning that it is likely to become pitchy under power without the dampening effect if the tailplane is removed. The worst possible scenario is that it could tuck under, the horizontal tail will stop this.

Kevin,

The way I try to viualise the set up is how the model would react without the rotor spinning with the model being fixed at it's CG position (being able to rotate about it ). This would be what the model would be like in a rotor off load position (though not quite as extreme).
If the thrustline is significantely higher than the CG position the nose will rotate down under power, vice versa if with the thrustline under the CG.
With a high thrust line there are a number of ways to over come this, the first is a larger area on the horizontal stabilizer, this acts as a pitch damper and neutralizes the nose down effect as power is applied. The second are the blades, their drag/lift acts on the fuselage keeping the nose up.
As you know the blades are not spinning at a constant RPM during a flight and increase and decrease lift/drag all the time. For instance on a windy day going down wind the blades are likely to slow down, even more so as we turn back into wind ( a reason for keeping a turn flat). If the blades were 'just enough' at this off load point the thrust of the motor can take over and a roll over occurs. Increase the rotor diameter and it will help this situation if that makes sense?
The taiplane dampens pitch but can also work against you in windy conditions, especially when upwards draughts are about or turbulance.
I have found that the best flying pushers in windy conditions are ones without a horizontal tailplane.
Going back a few years at Winterton we had a good 20mph wind blowing straight up the patch, myself and Rich Elliot had a blast with the REX's that year as they would just sit happily all day in the wind.
If trying a fin only gyro it is best to design from scratch so you can position all the components with all this in mind.

Sorry for going on! I am slowly getting the grips of the quad flying.

Rich
Last edited by SafeLandings; Jun 09, 2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by sepcter
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Jun 2010
228 Posts
Tuck under

Thanks for the information Rich I have the sweetest little model it flys just fine until I reduce power then it just tucks its nose under and that's that. It has a tail plane quite a good size for the model. I flew it again today and it is so nice on take off straight and level climbs well under power turns seem fine and flat, seems like I need a lot of rear tilt on the AJ blades it is set at 13 degrees rear tilt and seems very happy at that I am including a photo to see if you can see anything obvious.
Kevin. I have been thru the quad copter faze with fpv too but I am over it at least for now regards
sepcter is offline Find More Posts by sepcter
Old Jun 11, 2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
5,015 Posts
Kevin,
Yes, you have too much rearward tilt to keep the nose up, ok when power is on but as power reduces so does air speed and the rotors slow down. This would make me think you have just enough lift. Try the Mantis blades on it and reduce the rearward tilt by about 6 degrees and see how it goes? what is the hang angle, it must be quite a lot if it has been flying like that?

Looks good by the way

Rich