New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Discussion
Pusher Prop Jet F-22 100mph quest

I built this F-22 from scratch with 6mm depron foam and used some ideas I've seen on other builds. I've attempted to hit 100mph with this but have fallen short. I believe I've maxed out on speed. Here is the progression I went from.

1st was with an 18A ESC, an EMAX 2840, and a 6x3 prop with a 1000mAh 3S 40C battery.
F-22 Scratch built RC Maiden Flight.. FAST (6 min 40 sec)

2nd I installed a 3200kv motor, a 50A ESC, and a 6x4 prop still with the 1000mAh 3S 40C battery.
F-22 scratch built RC 74mph (3 min 52 sec)

3rd I used the same setup as the 2nd except I put a 6x5.5 prop on.
Very Fast 24" Scratch built RC F-22 Mach3 scale speed (3 min 38 sec)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to increase the speed? rebuild with 3mm depron? Push a prop tip speed over the sound barrier? Thanks in advance for your help!
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by stingeragents
Joined Jan 2011
1,105 Posts
Thats definatelly a good speed. Perhaps a larger motor on 4s?
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by Hover or die
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
800 Posts
Try the eflite bl15 with at the very least a 60 amp esc and the old stryker 6x4 prop(much better than the APC 6 x4)...4cell 2200 65c and you will get your 100+!!!!!done it many many times with the profile f22..I also open up the foam behind the prop a little more than others...will dig yo up a pic this morn...
Also will need strong servos on the tailerons as this setup has a ton of torque and will roll the jet with weak servos...
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Joe 1320
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,571 Posts
There is more speed to be had by reducing drag. Foam is not very slick. If I were doing this for speed, I would likely thin the wings and stabs a little ( carbon spar too) and lightly glass the entire plane. Sand / polish it smooth. Pay strict attention to tapering every trailing edge.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by Hover or die
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
800 Posts
And leading edges as well....
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old May 01, 2012, 09:38 PM
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Well, I didn't get 100, but I did get some great high angle video with an onboard Keychain camera.
F-22 Flatfoam w/ 808 #9 cam (5 min 12 sec)
Old May 08, 2012, 06:59 AM
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
Try the eflite bl15 with at the very least a 60 amp esc and the old stryker 6x4 prop(much better than the APC 6 x4)...4cell 2200 65c and you will get your 100+!!!!!done it many many times with the profile f22..I also open up the foam behind the prop a little more than others...will dig yo up a pic this morn...
Also will need strong servos on the tailerons as this setup has a ton of torque and will roll the jet with weak servos...

Hey thanks for the info, But before I saw this post, I ordered a better 3200kv motor and a 6x4x3 blade prop. The motor is rated for 60A and I'll be driving it with a 2200mAh 3S. See what this does then give your suggestion a go.
Old May 08, 2012, 07:04 AM
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Unfortunately, the reason I had to get a better motor is I did a dumb thing. I ran a 2200 3s and then another right after (the motor only felt slightly warm). Well, the second battery did the motor in. It did look pretty cool though as I was doing an over head speed pass to try and determine the speed. I hit the throttle and it was screaming toward me about 30ft high and as it passed over head, a cool looking trail of white smoke exited the rear of my lil profile F-22. Ha ha! Oh well, I didn't break the bank on that motor, and I am having lots of fun!
Old May 13, 2012, 03:06 AM
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Hey all,
Thank you all for your input. I will use the info you've provided to see if I can gain a little more speed. First I have to wait until my new motor gets in. I had a Great pass at somewhere around 90mph, but about the time it was over head, a trail of white smoke emitted from the rear of the plane. It looked Cool! ha ha! But, I knew I had fried something.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:47 AM
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Ha ha ha! Don't try to use a Master Air Screw on a 3200kv motor! I lined my plane up and was bringing it in toward me and hit the throttle! Just after it passed me I heard a pop! I still had control and was able to glide land it. The Prop had exploded! one half went one way and the other half, the other way making a couple of nice, clean, cookie cutter holes shaped like the prop through my right vertical stab and the lower left fuse! Ha ha! I've repaired the damage except for the motor. The shaft broke off flush with the bell. So, I put the original motor back in and will attempt 100 with a new plane. This time, there will be no foam behind the prop, no MAS props, a 3mm fuse skin, and tapers on leading and trailing edges. Videos to follow!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by NickFox
Jet-Addicted!
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined May 2012
213 Posts
Fun pushers...

Fun thread!! I am jumping in to this one.. Rather disenchanted with the non-cooperative EDF's in my little 25" F-22 raptor, I'm converting to a pusher (today) and will hopefully fly later. Perfect little foamie to make a pusher.. and it'll probably fly 8 times better with props instead of EDFs.. we'll see..

Planning on running dual 30a to 2x 4300KV's pushing 4.1/4.1 APCs.. tried 4.5/4.1 but was just a little too much for those little motors. I figured since it's set up with dualies anyway, might as well use a much of original power train as possible, substituting stick-mounted + prop instead of EDFs..

My buddy whos mentoring me on this had one doing 123mph on his own hand-wound motors.. He also get 137mph out of a flying wing (I forget the name of this particular one).. anyhow, should be a fun little experiement.

Wish me luck... this whole thing got prompted by the unfortunate mishap of the EDF's SUCKING IN actual pieces of the outer fuse, due to vaccumm pressure..
Just imagine, you're about to hand launch, the fans spin up just in time to hear CHONK - THUCK - TOOMP, as you watch foam bits blowing out the backside.. 3 out of 4 broken blades (shaft stayed straight, amazingly!) oh well. PLane grounded.

crazy huh?? So here goes.. we'll see what this little beast can do with stock setup. Next step will be motor upgrades, per the tenor of the rest of this post. Just had to jump in - I'm not aiming for 100 just yet, but once it flies well, I'll be there!!!
-n
NickFox is offline Find More Posts by NickFox
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
More Speed-HUH?

Go Google Grayson Hobbies, find the Super Sonic v2 Motor with a 6 x 5 prop

OR Better Yet --- GET AN INRUNNER FROM GREAT PLANE/ELECTRIFLY

I have an Electrifly inrunner that turns the revs...it is one of the "AMMO" motors.

It is the 28-35- 2200kV. I use a 7 x 5 APC to push more air... on a 44' W.S. very fast
"Climb-Like-a-Rocket" glider type. I climb almost out of site in about 15 sec - stop the motor and glide as long as I can. Am using a 1200 mAh 3-cell Lipo 30C -
Ave. watts is close to 240. Time for a wide open throttle run is maybe 5 minutes.
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by dmaaero
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
I took this setup off my F-22 an put it on a funjet, good for 130mph. eflite six series 2700kv motor castle ice 50 esc 6x4 apc sport prop 4s 2200mah 40c
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Jun 08, 2015, 02:40 PM
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
211 Posts
Hi all, My original maiden flight video had some issues. Here it the maiden of my first F-22 flat foam slot pusher.

This setup originally cost about $50 and achieved 60mph. Not bad for a cheap thrill. I believe my next attempt will be with a 50A ESC, 2200kv motor, 6x5.5 prop on 4S.

I will post my results and the maiden here once I get it.

RC F-22 Raptor $50 Scratch Build Maiden (5 min 51 sec)
Old Jun 09, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by kcolraw
Kcolraw
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Feb 2015
306 Posts
Reducing drag helps, tidy up the electronics in the fuse, bevel leading edges and taper trailing edges. Old thread revived again.
kcolraw is online now Find More Posts by kcolraw