SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by Hayate
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Build Log
Hyperion KI-84 Hayate 25e

I am going to start a build thread on the plane. I have not recieved all of components to start it now, but here are some pics of the plane. The rest of the parts should start arriving next week.
Hayate is offline Find More Posts by Hayate
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2006, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
more pictures
Old Dec 15, 2006, 05:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Here's what I plan on using for this plane:

ESC: HW P60A - $54.25 (united hobbies)
Motor: HXT 35-42 1100kv - $28.20 (united hobbies)
Battery: 3s1p 4000mah - $55.00 (True RC)
Servos: HS-81 standard (tower hobbies)
RX: Quantum 8 dual conversion sub micro rx - $39.95 (FMA direct)
Xtal: Quantum 8 72mhz band - $4.99 (FMA Direct)
Prop: undecided
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by sting35
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Hayate,
Looks good so far. I've had a pre-production Hayate for a while. I hope you don't mind me chiming in here from time to time with pics and advice. What sort of surface will you be flying from?

Sting

For now, here's a angle of the cowl that you didn't show. It's pretty dang sturdy... it flexes and doesn't break. Don't ask me how I know.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Last edited by sting35; Dec 15, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting35
Hayate,
Looks good so far. I've had a pre-production Hayate for a while. I hope you don't mind me chiming in here from time to time with pics and advice. What sort of surface will you be flying from?

Sting
Sting go right ahead. I will be flying off of a paved surface. A grass surface will be difficult on landings, and takeoff's.

On my supplemental instructions, I noticed that the elevator needed to be set 2mm down. Kinda wondering if this has to do with an incidence issue. Did you have to trim yours the same?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Okay, I couldn't resist just one more for now... Look at the detail on the fuse. I took the pic without a flash so you can see it better.

Sting
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:33 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate
Sting go right ahead. I will be flying off of a paved surface. A grass surface will be difficult on landings, and takeoff's.
That's good to know. I did fly mine off of grass and experienced some problems.... sigh. I'll post on that with pics and options for those folks that have grass fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate
On my supplemental instructions, I noticed that the elevator needed to be set 2mm down. Kinda wondering if this has to do with an incidence issue. Did you have to trim yours the same?
Yes, but I have a pre-production unit so, I believe it was more than 2mm. I don't have a way to measure the incidence and it wouldn't really matter much if it was off... it would be kinda hard to change it on either the wing or tail-plane with the fiberglass fuse. On mine, when it's trimmed for level flight, the elevator is about 1/8" down from being level with the horizontal stab. Just start off with 2mm like the addendum and give it a test from there. You may end up at 3mm or 4mm but, it flies just fine.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting35
That's good to know. I did fly mine off of grass and experienced some problems.... sigh. I'll post on that with pics and options for those folks that have grass fields.

Yes, but I have a pre-production unit so, I believe it was more than 2mm. I don't have a way to measure the incidence and it wouldn't really matter much if it was off... it would be kinda hard to change it on either the wing or tail-plane with the fiberglass fuse. On mine, when it's trimmed for level flight, the elevator is about 1/8" down from being level with the horizontal stab. Just start off with 2mm like the addendum and give it a test from there. You may end up at 3mm or 4mm but, it flies just fine.
Thanks. Do you remove the wings to get to the battery connections? or did you make a hatch?
I'm thinking of accessing the connectors out from the bottom radiator scoop, with some type of series catch loop plug. Hard to explain, but I can only picture it in my mind for now.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by Dora Nine
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,852 Posts
Sweet, I have high hopes for this one. When you can...can you post a pic of the plane semi assembled, I'd like to look at the scale outline...and see how it compares to the real thing and the various pre-production pics that have been floating around. One of my other hobbies is building scale static models, so I am little when it comes to a scale outline. Thanks!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Dec 16, 2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:20 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Sweet, I have high hopes for this one. When you can...can you post a pic of the plane semi assembled, I'd like to look at the scale outline...and see how it compares to the real thing and the various pre-production pics that have been floating around. One of my other hobbies is building scale static models, so I am little when it comes to a scale outline. Thanks!
Dora,
Not exactly 'semi' assembled... but, here's what mine looked like finished. Note that I didn't mount the very nice aluminum spinner included in the kit yet. I need to get the proper collect from AC.

EDIT: Here's a good place to check photos of the real thing.... Hayate walkaround
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:47 AM
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Sting, thanks for the link on those photos. Very Nice!
Definatley going on my favorites.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by 800mZero
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
deffinately tempting! Would look good with my alfa hayate! I'm wondering what the supposed flying weight is supposed to be--I have this power 15 kicking around......
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:06 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
deffinately tempting! Would look good with my alfa hayate! I'm wondering what the supposed flying weight is supposed to be--I have this power 15 kicking around......
I think that it's supposed to be 3-3.4 pounds. Mine came in just a tad over 3.4 but, I was using 4400 mAh Polyquest battery. In fact, I wasn't using any of the recommended gear. I always have to be different.

Hitec Supreme Rx
Polyquest PQ4400 3s1p
HS-81 x 3
HS-81 x 2
Axi 2820/10
Jeti Advance 70

I'm sure if I used the recommended gear, the plane would have shaved enough weight to be in the middle of the specified flying weight.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by Dora Nine
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,852 Posts
Sting, Thanks for the pic of the plane assembled. Looks pretty darn good to me. I hope their future warbirds are this good. I bet you can't imagine which one I am REALLY waiting for?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine