SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
9,331 Posts
Thanx Flight test

I've been doing the V44 for F&T for years.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2014, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by rukie
Philippines, Central Luzon, Marilao
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Hi guys any pics or details on the tilting mechanism?
rukie is offline Find More Posts by rukie
Old Nov 09, 2014, 12:48 AM
Find More Posts by devinvagt
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
8 degree tilt

Can anyone explain why the motors are tilted towards each other 8 degrees in hover?
devinvagt is offline Find More Posts by devinvagt
Old Nov 09, 2014, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by RCvertt
Joined Aug 2007
4,503 Posts
It uses a well known NASA technique called "cattywampus construction" where each piece of the aircraft is purposely slightly out of faze creating a synergistic harmonics in the airframe that assists with lift by cancelling out unwanted forces. In other words, it's like that because it's made out of foam and tape.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2014, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by foam and tape
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,859 Posts
I'm dying of laughter, RCvertt... Ahahahah however your diagnostics of my airframe design is pretty spot on!
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 09, 2014, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by v22chap
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,218 Posts
It actually isn't to far off Rcvertt ,, the real V uses bidirectional carbon fiber to do away with unwanted harmoics .... and actually on the real V it used about 4 degrees of out nacelle angle for stability purposes.

I used by directional plywood sub frame in the NASA Puffin to eliminate wing vibrations
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Nov 09, 2014, 06:38 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,503 Posts
Good to know. I'm a devout follower of "foam and tape's" building methods
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2014, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by Brandano
Joined Oct 2004
3,148 Posts
If you plan on using the nacelle tilt to control pitch, then you definitely don't want the tilt axis to be canted inward. It would reduce the distance between the tilt axis and the CG.
As for the fore/aft tilt, it helps a bit with pitch stability in slow forward flight, and depending on the direction of rotation of the rotors it improves yaw control in a hover.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Last edited by Brandano; Nov 10, 2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by aeronaughtycal
aeronaughtycal
Joined Nov 2014
1 Posts
amzaing thread ..... i was planning on building a vtol myself for the past couple of weeks but after watching you guys i am more determined to build one .... i am sure i can count on you guys for help
aeronaughtycal is offline Find More Posts by aeronaughtycal
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
PROBLEM:

After two complete builds and less than total success on either, I have tweaked the design again and built a new air frame.

When in forward (airplane) mode the motors work correctly with variable speed controlling the yaw. When I change modes to Quad mode the motors don't respond to throttle, they remain at RPM until I throttle down. Once they stop they won't re-spool up in Quad mode. I don't know if the gyros work because the motors won't stay on or respond to throttle. The gyros read because I can see it on the GUI in the Conf. file.

e
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
PROBLEM:

After two complete builds and less than total success on either, I have tweaked the design again and built a new air frame.

When in forward (airplane) mode the motors work correctly with variable speed controlling the yaw. When I change modes to Quad mode the motors don't respond to throttle, they remain at RPM until I throttle down. Once they stop they won't re-spool up in Quad mode. I don't know if the gyros work because the motors won't stay on or respond to throttle. The gyros read because I can see it on the GUI in the Conf. file

e
It sounds like you are having problems with the flight controller. Not saying anything bad about any flight controllers, but if you are building a VTOL then OpenAero-VTOL firmware in a KK2 board is a proven solution.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972686
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Mar 13, 2015, 03:53 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
PROBLEM:

When in forward (airplane) mode the motors work correctly with variable speed controlling the yaw. When I change modes to Quad mode the motors don't respond to throttle, they remain at RPM until I throttle down. Once they stop they won't re-spool up in Quad mode. I don't know if the gyros work because the motors won't stay on or respond to throttle. The gyros read because I can see it on the GUI in the Conf. file...
Your last flight video looked good except for that last turn which you mentioned was due to a low battery. Did you ever get this version to hover? As strange as it may seem, forward flight is more difficult than hovering so it sounds like you had the most difficult part working before these recent builds you mention.

Not sure what code you are using exactly. Your last post was Feb 06, 2013, so it's old 1.7 code which I don't mess with anymore. You'd have to upgrade to 2.3 for me to help further. Get it hovering with 2.3 first, then we can look into adding forward flight stuff if you want.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Mar 13, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:24 PM
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
RCvertt

Yes, I'm still using the same board with 1.7 code. I got the last version flying in forward flight but it did not have the power to hover. I crashed it and started a third air frame, tweaking the design. I made it larger to allow for larger motors and more air flow down through the wings allowing more lift.

I'm really getting frustrated with the multiwii board and my failure getting the plane to fly. The board worked correctly in the last plane. It just didn't have the power to hover. Now it doesn't work correctly. You correctly stated a long time has passed since last worked on this project. That being said, time has allowed my frustration to fade somewhat, so I started working on it again this week.

I will try to remember how I checked the board and downloaded the code and proceed from there. I didn't review relatively recent postings so I don't know if you have shared the 2.3 code. I will review the thread for it and check out the board. I also have components to build another one if needed.

Thank you so much for watching the thread and responding.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
Ran D. St. Clair

Thank you very much for your response. I have started reading the thread you provided about the OpenAero - VTOL firmware for the KK2 board. I am somewhat familiar with the KK2 board. I have used the one Matt from Simple Copter uses in the tri-copter and V-tail Quads he sells and which I fly. I have not downloaded firmware, I use the firmware he flashes to them. They work really well and are very convenient and easy to use.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,503 Posts
Sure thing. I have not shared any 2.3 code yet. I've only built a VTOL tail sitter with it that does the switching of controls automatically, no need to flick a switch. I forget if you use motor tilt for yaw control while hovering. If you don't then regular MultiWii should get you hovering. If you do, then it would be best to get your bird flying forward again then we can work on some special code for hover yaw.

I need to finish up the Edge of Tomorrow build so basically if I help you get yours working then I'll be able to use the code ideas for my build as well. The tail sitter build has already gotten a lot of the work out of the way for us. I think you'll just get more frustrated if you continue with the 1.7 code since it's so old now and no longer supported by me. You'll have to install a new multiwii board though for 2.3. I've only used the NanoWii from HK and an arduino nano/GY-521 combo with 2.3 so those are the only board combos I can recommend.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Mar 14, 2015 at 02:32 PM.