SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2015, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,195 Posts
Nice work! Hope your first encounter with a rock doesn't ruin the hull; the main advantage with ABS plastic is it's very tough.
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by Cravacor
gamma tester
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Feb 2014
397 Posts
Nice looking boat, Ryder. Great build. There is lots of info in this thread about the NQD jet and various hulls.
Looking forward to seeing yours in the water.
What motor/ESC/battery set-up are you using?
Cravacor is offline Find More Posts by Cravacor
Old Jun 18, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by rc_ryder
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
Thanks guys!

I intend to run it on 2200mAh 3S, 3700kV, 28mm inrunner, 90Amp ESC... Stuff that was in the drawer Hope it dos not jump to high

Wood and glass fiber are also very tough

I hope I get it in the water this weekend!
rc_ryder is offline Find More Posts by rc_ryder
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_ryder View Post
Thanks guys!

I intend to run it on 2200mAh 3S, 3700kV, 28mm inrunner, 90Amp ESC... Stuff that was in the drawer Hope it dos not jump to high

Wood and glass fiber are also very tough

I hope I get it in the water this weekend!
3700kV is maybe a bit high, but it should work fine. Ideal range is somewhere around 3000-3200kV.

Get us some vid if you can when you run it!
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jul 02, 2015, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,797 Posts
I'm new to this thread did a NQD a long time ago, but I just built one for a friend out of atomik barbwire parts. Worked out really well and was really easy to do.

I used the stock 28mm 2900 kv motor

Stock 30a esc

Dynamite servo

3mm solid shaft

3.17 to 3mm coupler from the Barb wire

Here are some pics

And a video, excuse the music lol

NQD tear into jet boat i converted to brushless for JIm (1 min 20 sec)
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by Kayaker
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
F.a.r.m.e.r, I really liked watching your video. You have excellent piloting and video skills. I'm guessing that was not your first dance with the water. Your friend Jim is a lucky person as that looked like a very nice build.
Kayaker is offline Find More Posts by Kayaker
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:57 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
F.a.r.m.e.r, I really liked watching your video. You have excellent piloting and video skills. I'm guessing that was not your first dance with the water. Your friend Jim is a lucky person as that looked like a very nice build.
Thanks Kayaker, was a fun build going to do one for myself I have modded lots of barbwires and other boats so I have lots of spare parts.

This is the boat I modded for him it's a 17 inch atomik barbwire and it's what all the electronics came out of for the NQD build

Atomik Barbwire that I did a 450 motor mod for Jim (2 min 36 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by rcgroupvideos
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Does anyone know if a team associated XP SC500-BL brushless water-resistant speed control with LiPo cutoff and T-plug Connector and a reedy 3300kV brushless motor, it has a 3.175mm shaft would work on the nqd tear into?
rcgroupvideos is offline Find More Posts by rcgroupvideos
Old Jul 02, 2015, 10:08 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupvideos View Post
Does anyone know if a team associated XP SC500-BL brushless water-resistant speed control with LiPo cutoff and T-plug Connector and a reedy 3300kV brushless motor, it has a 3.175mm shaft would work on the nqd tear into?
you will need to drill out the coupler to 1/8 to fit the motor side or buy a 3.17 to 2.3 coupler

Some pics of the stock coupler.
Last edited by f.a.r.m.e.r; Jul 03, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2015, 07:20 AM
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Ok thank you for the help.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by madbugger
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
f.a.r.m.e.r is absolutely right, but if you don't have a lathe then drilling out the coupler can cause problems. Doesn't need to be off-center by much to cause vibrations which can destroy motors, jetdrives, servos etc in short order.

As for using a store-bought coupler, be careful of its outside diameter and length. The OEM coupler (which he showed you in his post) fits into the NQD with barely any radial wiggle room around it. Most aftermarket couplers therefore won't fit.

Try stevedales@gmail.com for couplers to fit the OEM NQD 2.3mm drive shaft, aftermarket Flex shafts or even home produced larger impeller shafts on to motors with any output shaft size you care to mention and in outside coupling diameters which fit within the NQD housing. He's an Aussie who has produced any number of hop-up parts and alternative hulls for these little boats over the last few years and all at pocket-friendly prices
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jul 04, 2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2015, 12:53 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
f.a.r.m.e.r is absolutely right, but if you don't have a lathe then drilling out the coupler can cause problems. Doesn't need to be off-center by much to cause vibrations which can destroy motors, jetdrives, servos etc in short order.

As for using a store-bought coupler, be careful of its outside diameter and length. The OEM coupler (which he showed you in his post) fits into the NQD with barely any radial wiggle room around it. Most aftermarket couplers therefore won't fit.

Try stevedales@gmail.com for couplers to fit the OEM NQD 2.3mm drive shaft, aftermarket Flex shafts or even home produced larger impeller shafts on to motors with any output shaft size you care to mention and in outside coupling diameters which fit within the NQD housing. He's an Aussie who has produced any number of hop-up parts and alternative hulls for these little boats over the last few years and all at pocket-friendly prices
the joysway centurin coupler will fit but you will have to use a 3mm od brass tubing on the prop shaft side and use loctite 603 to permently mount it

or you can get a 3mm solid shaft put a drive dog on it and use a barbwire prop cut down. thats what i did

this motor is a direct fit if you decide to go a 3s lipo route http://www.valuehobby.com/leopard-24...-inrunner.html
Old Jul 05, 2015, 04:45 AM
Find More Posts by madbugger
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
or you can get a 3mm solid shaft
I did that on a couple of mine as well. Good mod

Only thing rcgroupvideos should bear in mind if going that route is that you need to either replace or drill out the OEM bearing in the stator housing to accept the larger shaft.

Can take the OEM item out and drill it (with the proviso I mentioned in my last) but new phosphor-bronze bearings with the right ID, OD and length can be found at many bearing suppliers here in the UK for pennies, so I'm sure there will be equivalent suppliers in the USA if he's there (hasn't mentioned his geographical location) .
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jul 05, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Thank you for the help and you are right, I live in the US New York specifically but sadly my state isnt as big into rc's as others.