New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by eghershey
FB Group: We Fly RC's
Joined Mar 2007
638 Posts
Discussion
Can a battery chargers balance capabilities fail?

I have an old Thunder Power charger...It will charge four batteries at a time by separate circuits. More and more, its taking hours to charge and balance a battery. Not just one battery but most any of my batteries I use regularly. Two of the "hard to balance" batteries are brand new 60C 3 cell 2200's. If I only charge without balance, it will top off any battery in less than 30 minutes. Do I need to invest in a new charger?????
BTW: I charge at 1C on all batteries.
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,735 Posts
How deep do you discharge the packs?
What voltage are the batteries at before you start a charge?
What are the cell voltages of your packs after your 30min (without balance) charge.

The deeper you discharge a pack, especially below 80%, the farther they may go out of balance.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Dec 21, 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by eghershey
FB Group: We Fly RC's
Joined Mar 2007
638 Posts
I suppose those are good questions but in my case, I fly just nearly every day, 365 days a year. (with that much practice, you'd think I'd be good....but I'm not ) I can assure you I do discharge my packs well below 80%, 80% of its potential useful voltage. But each flight is different and I have several different planes using different voltage/amp batteries. I'm sure I'm just an average user/flyer. I do use High C rated batteries for the planes that I fly really hard, ie: my VisionAire I use a 2200 3 cell 60 C. Other planes use 20 or 30 C batteries. Batteries age varies from new to several years old. I don' think that I abuse my batteries more than the average flyer. But, in past years, I never had a problem balancing so all things being pretty equal, my common denominator is my charger...thus: my question.
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,262 Posts
It's certainly possible for the balancing circuitry to fail, and it's also possible for the charging portion to get tired. These chargers use switching regulators which are notoriously hard on the electrolytic capacitors. Those dry up and wear out over time, it's the most common fault I've repaired in anything using a switching regulator.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Dec 22, 2015, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
I have an old Thunder Power charger...It will charge four batteries at a time by separate circuits. More and more, its taking hours to charge and balance a battery. Not just one battery but most any of my batteries I use regularly. Two of the "hard to balance" batteries are brand new 60C 3 cell 2200's. If I only charge without balance, it will top off any battery in less than 30 minutes. Do I need to invest in a new charger?????
BTW: I charge at 1C on all batteries.
IMHO, you've got your money's worth out of that old charger. The new chargers are less likely to damage, or worse, cause a LiPo fire.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd