Old Nov 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by killickb
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,273 Posts
Discussion
YEP esc problem

Have a couple of new 30 amp HK YEP esc,s in a twin. Neither will sync with my radio (JR). When I go to full throttle the motors start slowly, run for few seconds at that speed then they jump a few rpm, run at that speed for a few seconds and so on. When I close the throttle they stay at whatever speed they were at last for a few seconds then shut down. Basically no throttle control up or down. My throttle is set to a linear curve on the Tx.

Substituted them with a couple of CC esc and all works fine --- of course the YEP are built in now !!. Have a programming card for the YEP but not sure it works on the 30 amp model (HK site says it doesn't ?)

Is there anything unique with the YEP esc ? Am I missing something here --- have never seen this before.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by gquiring
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,372 Posts
The site shows the programming card as a combo price. I would think it's compatible. Out of the box they are programmed for heli mode. I don't own the 30A but own a few of the larger versions.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by t.edwards
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
I have 2 30s and a 40 installed and programmed with the card. They do come in heli mode. They aren't really difficult to program but they do give you lots of opportunities to get it wrong.

I like the YEPs. I replaced HK Blue Series and Turnigy Plushes with them.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,273 Posts
Thanks, did not know they came in heli mode, hopefully that is the problem. One thing -- my card starts at 4 cell, no 3 cell option ?

gquiring -- yes I bought the combo but if you read specs of the card itself it states only good for 40amp plus esc's. Still it seems you guys used the card so will try again.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,913 Posts
i just picked up 2x 30amps for a twin and am having a weird issue too. I'm sure it has something to do with programming, but I totally forgot to get the programming card.

Anyways, I got it programmed and it works great; but after flying for a couple minutes, if I shut the throttle down, it starts beeping (beep, beep, pause, beep, beep). When that happens the throttle goes into this delayed start. If I throttle very quick it delays then starts and spools up very slowly. Sometimes it fails to start altogether. Since I'm using it for a twin, delayed start or one motor stopped can be very disastrous.

any way to stop the delayed start?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Nov 16, 2013, 04:21 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,273 Posts
rcalldaylong, that sounds very much like mine acts from the initial power-up. Have yet to get any actual run time on either. As it stands I cannot get a single to run, let alone a twin !
I have used many, many types of controllers from the early Astro - Flight to HV CC but have never seen this type of complexity in getting to a basic set-up. I don't need fancy programming for my twin (Grumman Skyrocket) which is why I thought the YEP was simple and inexpensive --- looks like I may have to write them off.
Sent e-mail to HK re the problem but doubt they will provide resolution tech support. Please let me know if you resolve your issue.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,273 Posts
Just spent 2 hours trying to program these esc's and I cannot change a thing from when I first fired it up. $32 down the tubes I guess. Turnigy, Hobbywing or CC from here on out !

Still like to hear from anybody on how they got theirs working in airplane mode ?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 06:02 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Just spent 2 hours trying to program these esc's and I cannot change a thing from when I first fired it up. $32 down the tubes I guess. Turnigy, Hobbywing or CC from here on out !

Still like to hear from anybody on how they got theirs working in airplane mode ?
I have 5 YEP's all in airplane mode. They work fine. I never tried to program one with the beeps, I always used the programming card.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 06:45 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,273 Posts
Tried "beeps" and the card still no go. Do you think that as the card starts at 4 cell and I am using 3 cell that this is why the card seems not to work ?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:05 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,913 Posts
Quote:
rcalldaylong, that sounds very much like mine acts from the initial power-up. Have yet to get any actual run time on either. As it stands I cannot get a single to run, let alone a twin !
I have used many, many types of controllers from the early Astro - Flight to HV CC but have never seen this type of complexity in getting to a basic set-up. I don't need fancy programming for my twin (Grumman Skyrocket) which is why I thought the YEP was simple and inexpensive --- looks like I may have to write them off.
Sent e-mail to HK re the problem but doubt they will provide resolution tech support. Please let me know if you resolve your issue.
it flies just fine. I didn't even notice the problem till I landed. It works fine until you throttle down to zero, then it starts beeping...then the problem. I'm thinking it's either programming or just a bug in the programming, since both ESC's do it.

BTW - the problem isn't consistent. sometimes you fly for a few minutes land and the problem isn't there (no beeps). sometimes you fly 1 full circle land and the problem is there...

sounds like we both just got a bad batch of YEP 30amp esc's. Thing is I also picked up 2x 60amp ESC's...and they're much more than the 30amps. hopefully those don't have the same issue.
Last edited by rcalldaylong; Nov 16, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Tried "beeps" and the card still no go. Do you think that as the card starts at 4 cell and I am using 3 cell that this is why the card seems not to work ?
I always disable the cutoff voltage on my Yeps.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:41 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,913 Posts
so I did more testing.

On the ground when doing WOT (25amps), 3-5 sec burst, one of the motors cut in and out a couple times. Then the rx went into brownout, and reset, then rx lights flashing. I have 2 rx, one esc is seeing 2 servos, and the other is seeing 3 servos...hardly enough to brown it out. I hate to say it, but I'm out $25 and taking these 2 esc's out and ordering turnigys. My p-38 is just too nice to risk it.

BTW - I had castle 25's in this p-38 and it's done at least 25+ or so flights without a hitch, but WOT is hitting 25amps, so that's I thought I'd be on the safe side and getting 30amps

here's a vid of my P-38

P-38 touch and go's after repairs (0 min 56 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:00 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,273 Posts
Oh well I will write these off for my model, maybe some other local electronic wiz can make them work for them. Going to buy two mid range $ wise from Heads Up r/c as I have never had a glitch from their SkyPower series. I tend not to believe in bad batches of anything (usually operator error!) but suppose it can happen.
Nice P-38, hope you keep it that way, pilot error I can take, electrical failure hurts !
Thanks all for the advice, wish I could have said it worked for me.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 02:30 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,913 Posts
Quote:
Oh well I will write these off for my model, maybe some other local electronic wiz can make them work for them. Going to buy two mid range $ wise from Heads Up r/c as I have never had a glitch from their SkyPower series. I tend not to believe in bad batches of anything (usually operator error!) but suppose it can happen.
Nice P-38, hope you keep it that way, pilot error I can take, electrical failure hurts !
Thanks all for the advice, wish I could have said it worked for me.
kill,

I mess with mine a bit more today. I notice no beepings on a higher 40c Lipo, so I changed the batt type from Lipo auto to nimh. Since then the issue has gone away. I've now flown 15 flights this morning and even after 8 mins of flight, no issues. throttle response is very smooth and I'm happy with it.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:20 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,913 Posts
Here's the issue I had prior to setting to Nimh.

kinda scary if this happened in the air for a twin.

HobbyKing YEP 30amp ESC problem (1 min 20 sec)