HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:24 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
Alert
Exceed RC 450 brushless motor 1000 kv broken wire

There's no perfect system so this was bound to happen. After several years of ordering dozens of motors from Hobbypartz, a bad one finally arrrived. This motor never made it to the maiden flight. Always bench check the motor prior to installing it on the plane. From now on, I will buy only motors with soft flexible silicon wires and with more protection at the bottom of the bell. The broken wire probably occurred when the person who wound the motor checked his job by flexing it several times. Then, whoever ensures quality control failed to notice the broken wire and sent it to packing.

I contacted Hobbypartz. They said that because the motor was purchased over 30 days ago, the warranty was over regardless if it was ever used or flown.

brushless motor jerky twitchy troubleshoot finds broken wire (0 min 55 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:47 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,927 Posts
It's a good idea to check a new motor before running it because a faulty motor (or a loose/poor ESC connector) can get motor and/or controller fried.
The video gets a bit vague, the winding wire consists of several thinner wires in parallel, and one of those thin one is broken. Did I see that correctly? In that case your motor should still run, albeit with a lower max. current.

You could solder the wire with a strand of wire.
Don't forget to remove insulation, see
Electric Motor Design and Construction subforum
-> Sticky: (Re)winding and building motors
-> trick 27: Removing magnet wire insulation ...

Vriendelijke groet Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
Thanks for the idea. have never tried rewinding before so now I have something new to learn.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2001
10,927 Posts
No need for a complete rewind. But was I correct when I wrote that only one strand of the winding wire was broken? That should not prevent your motor from running.
Can you take a few (macro)pictures?

Zie ook
Buitenlopers wikkelen door Bert Dekker - MBF

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
Initially, the motor stuttered and tried to run and then would turn off at 15% throttle. Prior to disassembling the motor, I kept trying to run it which I think caused more damage as it then started to behave even more erratic including reversing back and forth. The sound of grinding sand also started. The motor felt like something was jammed inside and that's when i took it apart. What was happening was the wire was unraveling and becoming a mess inside.

At the "stem" where the wire bundle in the blue shrink tube connects to the stator, it's not just one strand.

It appears at least two wires were broken. It's a $15 motor, not too expensive. The brand isn't top tier and I got it on sale (probably the retailer had some returns and tried to get rid of the batch - only an opinion ). It's always a case of you get what you paid for, isn't it. It's the last time I buy this brand.

I bought four of these motors. The second one is fine. I still have to check the other two. I feel like I should have got better customer support other than "sorry the purchase was over 30 days ago."
Last edited by TheLeabres; Dec 15, 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:13 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
@ Ron,
Have you ever used trick/tip #27 yourself or know of a reliable source that has? After hearing this some years back I bought some (real) asprin but found some posts rebuffing the procedure, consequently I used another method. If you know that it works then I will use it next time.

thanks
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:48 AM
Joined Feb 2001
10,927 Posts
It does not work for al types of lacquer/insulation (PU, PVC, nylon, PA).
And I have never used any of those tricks myself, never built a motor, at all. In fact, never flew electric. Last time I flew was over 20years ago, IC helicopter.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:19 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
Thanks,
IIRC, the article was referring to the amine/amide coatings found on (some) higher temp wires. After reading some posts saying it really didn't work I reverted to painstakingly scraping each angel-hair sized wire.

thanks again
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Dec 17, 2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added an "s"