HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,232 Posts
Very nice work! I note that the wing is two-surface, flat on the bottom. Nice!

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:56 AM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
Thank you, Jim!
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Very nice work! I note that the wing is two-surface, flat on the bottom. Nice!

Jim R.
The wing is actually single surfaced, cleverly disguised as two surfaced, and should not be covered on the bottom.

Mark
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Tony,
Mine is 2 oz ready to fly! Really!!
Joe
Hi Joe
Just ordered mine. Don't get me wrong. The planes fly OK with the PZ brushed motor. I did the Rockette 100 (1.75 oz AUW) with the PZ motor and it fly's ok but its a struggle to get any altitude. On the other hand I did the Swift 100 and the SkyBuggy 100 with the 180 brushless and they climb like missile's. In my area its always windy so I need the extra power. What did you add to your plane that it weighs 2oz instead of the stated 1.5oz?

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:21 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
Hi Tony,
Its 1.9oz. with the battery, and I painted the underside of the wings, headrest, and cowl and the decals which are on the thick side. It all adds up. But it will fly just fine.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:32 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,232 Posts
Single-surfaced? I was bamboozled! It's a fine airplane, nonetheless.

Jim R....
...who is easily fooled...
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Well I finished mine. Figured I'd add a pic here. Not as nice as Joe's. AUW is 1.4 oz but I did not use the landing gear struts or the faux motor. I'll probably go fly it later this afternoon and maybe I'll post a vid of its maiden. I'm sure its a real pussycat to fly and boring.

Tony
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
Hi Tony,
Man that really looks nice!! You did a great job, I like your colors!!!
Joe
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Hi Joe

Originally I was going to do it red and white exactly as shown on the box it came in. I decided the wing is just too flimsy and fragile and would be too tedious too put all those stripes on. Did you ever fly yours before you sold it? I did not get to fly mine yesterday. Way too much wind. What are you building next? I got to find another to build.

Tony
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
Hi Tony,
One short flight for testing, its fun! My next build is the 1919 White sport monoplanem with
real Spoked wheeels, with a park 180 bl brushless motor in it. Also some other neat mods
to make it more Scale, Its almost done!
Joe
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Tony,
One short flight for testing, its fun! My next build is the 1919 White sport monoplanem with
real Spoked wheeels, with a park 180 bl brushless motor in it. Also some other neat mods
to make it more Scale, Its almost done!
Joe
Hi Joe

I'll be looking forward to pics of the 1919 monoplane. My personal opinion is that one is an ideal candidate for the AR6400LBL brushless brick. Just curious as to what brand 180 motor you chose?

I have an unbuilt Quick Oats 100 kit that been laying around here for a few month. Maybe I'll tackle that one next but I'm yearning for something more exciting to fly though. Maybe I'll do a homemade foam plane of some sort.

Tony
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:22 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
My new 1919 White

Hi Tony,
I used an Eflight 180. I did the Quick nice airplane! No foam Here is what my 1919 will look like, still have graphics that I am waiting on! Also have to install servos and ESC.
Joe
Last edited by Joe Pierson; Sep 12, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Picures
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
I was planning on doing a build thread, but you beat me to it Joe, and I don't have much to add. Actually I was hoping to do a thread for each of my model builder club planes this year, but blasted so fast through the SE 5A I forgot to take pictures during the build. These Stevens Models are great builds. Great job on yours!

I originally thought about using the scheme you did, but then decided to do a variant on the Stevens scheme using colors I had on hand. The stripes were way easier than I thought they would be.

Here's a picture of mine, plus the Se 5A.

No maiden on the MicroMax yet, but I will say the Se 5A is one of my favorites to fly. It does a terrific strafing pass .

Dennis
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:48 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
Hi Dennis,
"Man" I like your SE-5!! Those colors on your MicroMax were a good choice! Looks neat and will make it easy to keep your eyes on in the Air!!! Very cool!
Joe
Last edited by Joe Pierson; Sep 13, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 13, 2013, 04:34 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhurlbut View Post

Here's a picture of mine, plus the Se 5A.

No maiden on the MicroMax yet, but I will say the Se 5A is one of my favorites to fly. It does a terrific strafing pass .

Dennis
Nice job on both Dennis. I like the Micromax