SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:19 PM
Calif*
Joined Sep 2006
2,158 Posts
Discussion
Whatever happened to dmgoedde?

He was famous for optimizing fixed wing autopilot algorithms to fly the most unstable aircraft in the harshest weather. He used to brag about his autopilot flying in 50mph winds & blizzards. His last post was in 2011. His product page, attopilot.com is no more. He once said Procerus incorporated his work in their own product. Procerus was acquired by Lockheed for undoubtedly billions of dollars.

Today, Lockheed issued a press release about its micro UAV program.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/mst...t-systems.html

Which said "the Kestrel autopilot, which enabled the combat proven Desert Hawk III to conduct a stable flight profile during a recent demonstration in 50 MPH winds and blizzard conditions"
Jack Crossfire is online now Find More Posts by Jack Crossfire
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Human vs motor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:16 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
512 Posts
It seems that the dmgoedde comet has collapsed in the cemetery for the industrial and business capitalists: bankers, robber barons, railroad, steel, and oil industrialists that built America. A great firework indeed.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:45 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Dean is still working on new developments and has some promising products in the works. I think the claims here are way off base but it is what it is.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:50 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
512 Posts
Good news. I was afraid of some kind of burn-out.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:26 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,417 Posts
I don't know what claims here were off base, but I can tell you it was ME in that video that showed a Spectra flying wing in the 50mph wind in a vertical descent landing into my waiting hands. It was in the desert down in Ocotillo, CA, we had a handheld Kestrel digital wind gauge. It read a STEADY 50mph wind with gusts!

Gene

Edit: Ironic that we used a Kestrel wing gauge and Procerus makes the Kestrel autopilot......
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:02 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Hi Gene!

No doubts on the wind claims or even flying in snow! I've flown an Atto in howling Kansas winds and the plane did just fine. I've also flown a lawnmower track with a 28 MPH+ direct crosswind and it tracked right to each waypoint.

Would I fly in rain and snow? You bet!

Jimmy
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:13 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
An AttoPilot Web Site still exists

It may not be Dean's original personal site but one still exists.

http://attopilotinternational.com/

Dean's efforts and contributions are significant. He set a high bar with great personal effort. The fact that the software developed is closed source means that we as consumers are less aware of it. As a private company we just don't hear about and see his efforts.

Attopilot International appears to be closely partnered with Dean so maybe a contact could be made through them if needed.

Jim H
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:19 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Actually, Dean is no longer associated with Attopilot International nor are they with any of his products.

Jimmy
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:08 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
My Mistake

I apologize. I believed that because there was an order form on the web site for the AttoPilot that they were still associated with Dean.

My mistake.

Jim H
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:16 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Hi Jim.

No need for apologies, just an answer to your post. Hope I didn't come across as condescending as that definitely was not my intention.

Jimmy
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:43 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,968 Posts
I still fly my 1.8s just seeing much of what Dean was doing coming as the latest and greatest on new systems.

It was you and him back in the day Jack,now it seems like its just you!
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Oct 2005
128 Posts
I ran into Dean at a trade show last year. He seemed to still be involved in things - at the very least keeping tabs on the industry.

I wish him the best. He had a good product, his mistake mistake was that he was a year or two late into the industry.

Reed
reedchristiansen is offline Find More Posts by reedchristiansen
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:16 AM
David1
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedchristiansen View Post
I ran into Dean at a trade show last year. He seemed to still be involved in things - at the very least keeping tabs on the industry.

I wish him the best. He had a good product, his mistake mistake was that he was a year or two late into the industry.

Reed
"late into the industry"? He was if anything early not late. Had he gone open source things would have been quite different.
bmw330i is offline Find More Posts by bmw330i
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:28 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2004
504 Posts
Probably way out ahead of the open-source market, but trailing the commercial market (cloud cap, procerus, etc.)
clolson is offline Find More Posts by clolson
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:17 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Yeah, Dean started in 2005 before the open source projects were popular. He was also trying to make it more affordable than the APs that were on the market at the time. I'd stay tuned for coming developments.....

Jimmy
Last edited by jtprouty; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:24 AM.