SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:19 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Discussion
Opinions Please

I was at the Dollar tree with my wife this evening and came across some tissue in different colored sheets .. it felt like covering tissue .. so i walk out with a pack of white and a pack of multi colored .. i got it home and figured i would try it on a Pres Bruning GeeBee Y i built recently .. Now mind you i havent covered anything with tissue in over 20 years so this was a bit nerve racking until i saw the results .. I am impressed with the tissue and the shrinking attributes .. has anyone else tried this tissue??
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:29 AM
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
... I am impressed with the tissue and the shrinking attributes .. has anyone else tried this tissue??
I picked up the same multicolor pack at the local Dollar store a couple years back but haven't got a chance to use it. I have used other gift wrap tissues however, each time promising myself that I would never use anything other than Esaki next time, because the gift wrap tissue (at least the ones I used) is significantly weaker than Esaki in my opinion, even after multiple coats of dope. I am very curious to hear about your experience with this particular tissue as the colors look very nice and it is cheeeeaaaaappp!

--Ates
atesus is offline Find More Posts by atesus
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:50 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Wing fully covered and shrunk .. i am liking this tissue and the price ..
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
What????
SoCal "The High Desert"
Joined Nov 2003
126 Posts
That looks like a nice find. It seems to shrink fine and not warp...I guess the real test is doping or polyurethane sealer.
I've seen the same type of tissues at Michaels craft stores.
uavdb is offline Find More Posts by uavdb
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:59 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
I just picked up a mulch-color pack from an art supply store...just a couple bucks for a whole lot too. Haven't tried it yet but it seems a lot nicer than gift wrap type. I think everybody gives this a go at least once. Last time I did it was a disaster, But if nothing else I can use it for trim....of give it to the wife for wrapping gifts......
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:15 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
If you're going to make a flying model, you might want to weigh it. Some tissue is pretty heavy. Esaki can be as light as 10 grams per square meter. I've had colored tissue like this which was not water fast and would look lousy if you used water to shrink it. Also, how is the wet strength? Esaki has some, which means it's much easier to cover curvy parts of the airplane. I seem to recall that Allene's had some tissue which was pretty good and not too heavy, but that was sometime in the previous millennium.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:15 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
It went around the curves n icely and shrunk well .. if it was to be a free flight model i probably would use something lighter but i am Micro Rc-ing this particular plane .. and weight is not as big a factor at this time ..
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,199 Posts
Try shrinking with 99% alcohol instead of water..more gentle to the structure, about 4 hours to dry, use a fine mist sprayer. If your tissue weighs more than 1.4 grams per sq. ft., it is just domestic tissue. Nice job covering.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, OH, Middletown
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
I bought the bundle of multi-colored gift-wrapping tissue at the dollar store. Covered a full size '39' Korda in red with it, as red jap tissue is lacking in intensity these days. I needed to lightly sand fuzz between 50/50 coats. Never need to do this with Esaki. Gift tissue feels very good, like 40 year old tissue used to feel. Old stuff not crinkly/noisy like modern stuff. Worth it? Jury still out. But worth a try.
Stay off ribs, etc when whisking off fuzz from lifted, now-dried fibers.
ScratchBuildrSAM is offline Find More Posts by ScratchBuildrSAM
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:34 AM
St Clair Shores, Michigan
Joined Jan 2008
84 Posts
I am using that stuff for no-cal and peanut size planes

I crumple, pre-shrink with water, and when dry crumple it again and iron it. Apply to frame with glue stick - no doping, that's too heavy. The threory is that the pre-shrinking stops shrinking if it gets wet .... I need to be able to fly outside at dawn and dusk (no wind) and it is likely to be dewy.

This all works great. Its not my idea: heard it from B. Matthews who said it was all worked out long ago by a lot of great modelers.

Anyway the colors don't run or bleed. I don't require a lot of wet strength because I don't shrink it on the frame. Handling it a little while wet I think the wet strength is not really good.

It might be heavy but I have had great luck with it and enjoy the colors. And the price. I am doing all this on a shoestring...

Good luck

Ray
Dinser is offline Find More Posts by Dinser
Last edited by Dinser; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: forgot to mention wet strength
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,560 Posts
I bought two packages of the mult-pac shown at 1.00 each. I've no doubt it will work great and the colors are more varied than the "superfine". I've always liked "Jap tissue', tho I' spose that's not exactly PC these days and still have a large cashe of it. I've used domestic tissue on a number of competition FF models over the years and so In't get balled up over using it and have never noted "superfine" was superior to the other as far s strength is concerned. Grass and stubble will poke holes in both! I think the domestic is a bit heavier overall but perhaps is a bit more flexible than the imported stuff, after all the clear coats have been added.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit