HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
47 Posts
Help!
Enforcer Gas Boat

I have an enforcer gas boat with a gas homelite motor. I have trouble with the drive shaft breaking very frequently. I would like to convert it to where it uses a flex cable with a square end on both ends. A while back i found a site where it explained the conversion process and a site that would custom make a drive shaft but i cannot find this article again. Any help would be appreciated,
dsawyer44 is offline Find More Posts by dsawyer44
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
What you need is a flex cable from a trimmer.. Only need one side that is square and you cut the shat to size.and then silver solder on a brass furrel to the cut end of the flex cable. You can then choose 1/4" or 3/16" It's a easy job but you need some more parts.What is the prop shaft you now use?
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
I have some drive shafts that might work for you what length cable do you need.
Ron
Nitrobreath is offline Find More Posts by Nitrobreath
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
This site has what you want when they come back online

http://www.whhonline.com
idocdave01 is offline Find More Posts by idocdave01
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:19 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
What's the problem? Just a guess but are you keeping a 1/4" gap between the strut and drive dog? It's needed to compensate for cable wind-up. If the gap isn't there, you'll tear up a lot of cables.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
47 Posts
I'm trying to convert my drive system to a cable that is square at both ends. I quess i need a shaft that has a female square. I have to extend my rudder assy because there isn't enough room for a coupling.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsawyer44 View Post
I'm trying to convert my drive system to a cable that is square at both ends. I quess i need a shaft that has a female square. I have to extend my rudder assy because there isn't enough room for a coupling.
WHAT? The furrel side isn'nt square it is round for a 3/16"shaft or 1/4" shaft. I asked because the motor you have I would use the 3/16" shaft because you have more prop options. You need more than just a flex shaft and brass furrel to complete the change over. You cut the cable to length you need and silver solder on the brass furrel. The brass furrel has set screws to hold the end of the prop shaft and flex cable together.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:49 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
txt, how do you figure that he'd have more prop options? The minimum prop sizes that he needs are going to be drilled for 1/4" drive.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:37 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
267 Posts
Sorry txt you are incorrect, not all ferrules are round and need to be soldered.

As stated by idoc try the Warehouse Hobbies site. The XP2C propshaft has a square drive connection. Aeromarine do a solderless ferrule as well
with square drive which then connects to a standard prop shaft.

If you are regularly breaking flex cables then you need to find the underlying cause and rectify it.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
txt, how do you figure that he'd have more prop options? The minimum prop sizes that he needs are going to be drilled for 1/4" drive.
Because you can use 3/16" prop shafts for more prop options on a gasoline boat. 1/4" has less options I use 3/16" and go up with a sleeve for 1/4"
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3bby View Post
Sorry txt you are incorrect, not all ferrules are round and need to be soldered.

As stated by idoc try the Warehouse Hobbies site. The XP2C propshaft has a square drive connection. Aeromarine do a solderless ferrule as well
with square drive which then connects to a standard prop shaft.

If you are regularly breaking flex cables then you need to find the underlying cause and rectify it.
The standard is round and requires it to soldered. If some manufacture chooses to make it different then the price goes up. Round cost me nothing but time. That equals FREE!: including the flex cablesD
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2010
47 Posts
How many cables for your boat can be made from a weedeater cable? Also can this cable be ground to a square end? Where can these weedeater cables be purchased?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:23 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
It depends on how much your boat needs.
Preferably not as they are swedged into shape and not cut square. In essence, they're placed into a square die and pressure fit into the die.
Why buy? Keep an eye out for people tossing them out on trash pick-up day or hit up the local lawnmower repair shop for used ones.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsawyer44 View Post
How many cables for your boat can be made from a weedeater cable? Also can this cable be ground to a square end? Where can these weedeater cables be purchased?
Im always finding junk trimmers and they come with cables or you can go to your local repair shop and see what they have. They always have some. You can only get 2 shafts from one cable. Once you cut it one end is square and the other is round. So this is why you should scrap the square end both sides. Making your own cable is so much easier cheaper.