HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
Build Log
lancaster build

so since both of my twin engine builds (p-38 and mosquito) were such a success i thought i would try my luck at a four engine bomber. and what better and rare plane in the rc world than a lancaster bomber. inspired by the new hobbyking lancaster bomber i have began to build my very own lancaster. planned wingspand was 1000mm but as time went on it seemed that a slightly smaller wingspan would better suite the power system i am planning to use. construction is of epp and depron for the tail.

here are the first few pics of the build up to the point of engine installation as they havent arrived yet..

specs:
wingspan: 960mm
wet weight: yet to be determined (guessing 400 - 450g)
power-train:

-motor: x4 20g 2300kv
-esc: x4 hobbyking 10amp
-prop: 6x3

battery: x2 1000mah 2s in parrallel as it weighs less than a 2000mah 2s lol and also fits better
servos: x4 turnigy 9g

the rudder setup has been to date the hardest to setup as i wanted a simple/effective push-pull setup and not have links and turns like on some of the arf kits i have seen. so the design i came up with involves the rudder servo being placed directly in line between the two rods that run from one rudder to the other. a single linkage stopper controls both rods and achieves about 45 degrees of offest on the rudder. hopefully it will be enough to influence the aircraft in flight as they look very small to me.. but then again there are two of them..

I have also been doing some reading up on wire lenghts regarding motors - esc's - recievers and have come up with a plan for placement in the aircraft. (doesnt mean it will work out though) have come to a conclusion that the esc's for both inboard and outboard motors will be placed inside the inboard naccelles which will hopefully reduce the amount of vissible wires under the wings. lets see how it goes though.. anyway here are the pics so far.
chambo88 is offline Find More Posts by chambo88
Last edited by chambo88; May 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 11:45 AM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,026 Posts
Awesome idea! Big bomber built on a smallerscale! Can't wait for the video, make sure you get the sound of all four of those motors cranking! I love the sound of multi-motor aircraft!

What are your plans for covering/painting?
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old May 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
thanks! will get the vids up as soon as possible hopefully the paint scheme will look sumfen like this
Old May 24, 2012, 03:08 PM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
813 Posts
Smashing idea for a model
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old May 25, 2012, 12:50 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Chambo

Your Lancaster is looking good, I'm also in the middle of a Lancaster build from epp with a 1400mm wingspan.
Cheers
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old May 25, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Hi Chambo

Your Lancaster is looking good, I'm also in the middle of a Lancaster build from epp with a 1400mm wingspan.
Cheers
Andy
hi andy,

thanks , thats cool. what size motors are you using? also what battery? would love to seen some pics. ill get some more pics of mine up with the mtors installed if they ever arrive.. lol

mark
Old May 25, 2012, 08:02 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Mark

I've just watched your Mosquito video, WOW she flies great. I hope your Lancaster will look as good as that does in the air.

Ok, on my Lancaster I'm using Emax motors, 28-12 1500kv with 7x6 props. Turnigy 20a esc's and a 3s 2200mAh lipo.
I'll download some photos from my phone onto the PC to show you how far I have got.
Cheers
Andy
Old May 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Hi Mark

I've just watched your Mosquito video, WOW she flies great. I hope your Lancaster will look as good as that does in the air.

Ok, on my Lancaster I'm using Emax motors, 28-12 1500kv with 7x6 props. Turnigy 20a esc's and a 3s 2200mAh lipo.
I'll download some photos from my phone onto the PC to show you how far I have got.
Cheers
Andy
awesome motors those ones. that thing will tear ass through the sky with 4 of these babies on it! cant wait to see some pics.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:29 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Mark

As promised here's some photos of my Lanc', I'm still quite a way behind your build. I'm using 6mm epp sheet for the box type fuse and 8mm for the Armin wing.
All the best
Andy
Old May 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
andy that looks fantastic! yours although larger will no doubt be lighter than mine when its rtf.. will you fit any carbon fibre to the fuse to make it more rigid?

cant wait to see the progress
Old May 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
could you please post a copy of the plans

thanks, josh
airplane_freak11 is offline Find More Posts by airplane_freak11
Old May 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane_freak11 View Post
could you please post a copy of the plans

thanks, josh
um.. haha ill see what i can do.. i just take an orthographic projection of the plane from google images.. blow it up to the scale i want.. print it out and go from there.. but ill see if i can get a set of plans up for ya..
Old May 31, 2012, 12:34 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hey Mark

Just wondering how your build is progressing.
Andy
Old May 31, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Sep 2011
646 Posts
hey andy, well funny you should ask.. i finished it last nite.. motors are all running smooth and evenly. also the cg works out to be theoretically perfect with the x2 2s 1000mah lipo packs. but we will have to wait and see what the maiden brings before i say anything else on that.. lol i took some photos last nite and will upload them as soon as i get a chance. little busy today but they will but up soon.. wont paint it till after the maiden just incase. also still waiting on 2mm prop adaptors as i dont trust the rubber band set-up especially with the prop over-lapping.. want a tight set-up. but it looks good. the escs are hidden in the inboard naccelles. only thing you can see between then is two 20awg wires and 1 servo lead. very happy with the final product. just hope it flies fingers crossed..

how is your build coming along?
Last edited by chambo88; Oct 12, 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: battery information
Old May 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88 View Post
hey andy, well funny you should ask.. i finished it last nite.. motors are all running smooth and evenly. also the cg works out to be theoretically perfect with the x2 2s 100mah lipo packs. but we will have to wait and see what the maiden brings before i say anything else on that.. lol i took some photos last nite and will upload them as soon as i get a chance. little busy today but they will but up soon.. wont paint it till after the maiden just incase. also still waiting on 2mm prop adaptors as i dont trust the rubber band set-up especially with the prop over-lapping.. want a tight set-up. but it looks good. the escs are hidden in the inboard naccelles. only thing you can see between then is two 20awg wires and 1 servo lead. very happy with the final product. just hope it flies fingers crossed..

how is your build coming along?
Hi Mark

That all sounds great, l hope all goes well with the maiden, I'll have my fingers crossed for you too.
My build is waiting on parts at the moment, I went to route the extended esc/battery wires, and realised I have no 16awg silicon wire...Sh*t. Also can't find any 50mm nylon bolts here in Murcia to fix the wing on, so now I'm waiting on mail orders. Meanwhile I intend to make some wooden plugs, so I can vac form the canopy and turrets etc. I too have hidden the esc's in the nacelles, just need that bloody wire to go to the batteries. Speaking of which, where have you placed your lipo's.
Catch you later
Andy