HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,512 Posts
Very exciting stuff. No pressure Andy. Do it for youself, the way you want to do it. Then sell the video, LOL.

You could put it on private youtube, then for a donation of a couple of bucks, add the donor to the private list. Did I just say that? I`m such a DA sometimes.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
Good luck Andy!
Been a pretty smooth road to the finish considering this is the first of its kind and the size,,,well enough said....
One question,,where are you guys getting the tiny cams?
I'm tired of the helmet cam as its impossible to comfortably fly with that weight on my head....lol
Thanks..............Chris
Hover or die is online now Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Thanks John, yeah looks like a nice day tomorrow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Very exciting stuff. No pressure Andy. Do it for youself, the way you want to do it. Then sell the video, LOL.

Too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
One question,,where are you guys getting the tiny cams?
I'm tired of the helmet cam as its impossible to comfortably fly with that weight on my head....lol
Thanks..............Chris
Here ya go Chris, I got mine on e bay. Carefull there a few much cheaper imitations out there that I hear are not as good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a1721820c
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Falcon

Since you are waiting for the right conditions. Why not order up another 808 and mount it on the tail. Hell, why not go for a couple of the older (cheaper) key-chain models and have a tail and wingtip or belly cam...

These are dirt cheap now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692

Best of luck , Wolf
Leslie Nielsen maneuver - Airplane! (0 min 9 sec)
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Range check and high speed taxi test today. She doesn't look quite so massive out there on the lake bed.

Not sure if I have enough power though..I lifted the nose wheel off on one full throttle pass but not sure if it's enough to fly her safely. Uploading video of it to analyze further but my gut says marginal at best. The jet is beging for a turbine...hmmmm
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Lack of inlet duct and/or rolling resistance may be your issue or even CG, if there is one. I would stay the course don't give up on the EDF setup yet

Beautiful work!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,512 Posts
There is more EDF power available. Put a couple of 5kw JetFan 90mm`s in that baby. It`ll fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Three full throttle passes. Pass one is just a moderate speed steering run, pass two I stay in the throttle a bit longer.

I may still try and fly her tomorrow at the larger lake bed and give it a longer takeoff run.

T 38 taxi test (2 min 13 sec)
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 10, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:04 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
Andy,
It does seem to be dragging a little and I feel your concern...Just not as much thrust as expected from the noise generated by the fans...Seems like/it would come up to speed quicker..Do you think lack of inlet ducts could be the gremlin?

That thing does look incredible rolling by!!
Take/care.............chris
Hover or die is online now Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Falcon,
If those were full throttle passes I would have to agree with you about the lack of power. It's going to take a good distance to get to liftoff speed. Gotta love lakebeds!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,263 Posts
^ +1 but what do I know?

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Yesterday I maidened a much smaller, 8lb ProJet A-10. I did what I thought were high speed taxi passes, and had the same feeling as you do now. When I finally decided to take off, it used the entire runway. I finally forced it into the air at the end of the runway. A combination of forward CG and elevator trim. Once in the air, with enough (a lot!) of trim-- and she flew beautifully, at about 2/3 throttle.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Looks really nice on the lake bed, Andy! Still hoping you can get it in the air tomorrow. Maybe try the trick of heating up your packs under the sun a bit?

Don't know about swapping the fan out for a turbine yet. It will of course be a great candidate for turbine. Don't know about you, but I'm quite a bit more stuborn before I give in.

Been doodling a bit with some numbers & just using bits of info on this thread, I figure your hav a good chance of taking about 3-lbs off your model; assuming you used the lay-up schedule your father posted for the wings? An 8% weight reduction can help your accel.

It shud be safe to go fly as it is, but being more anal, I wud probably do some static load testing before hand; as it will give some indication of your wings strength. A quick stress analysis will also give an idea.

Cheers,

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,512 Posts
With all of the work you have invested, don't rush it now. Step back and take another look at everything, all of the trim options, power, thrust, efflux speed .... everything. Don't let us in the peanut gallery cause you to rush the maiden.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Btw, I'm only assuming (didn't read the entire thread carefully)-- you have done a static thrust test, to see how many pounds you are pulling? I don't know what the magic number is, but I would probably not fly unless I had at least 2/3 of the plane weight in static thrust...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon