SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
B to the O to the B
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2009
75 Posts
Discussion
Powering 12 V light strip with an external battery or external ESC on my Skywalker

Hi all,

I am trying to power two of these (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8941) which are 1 meter strips of LEDs that I'm going to put on my plane.

(it's a Skywalker plane that is currently in works as an FPV plane)

The easiest thing I can think of doing is just hook a switch directly to the battery and that directly to the lights (a seperate battery than the main 4s one)

I have a 1600mah 3s battery that I want to use and I read somewhere else that you could plug another ESC (which I have that's a 30 amp e-flite ESC, along with my main 60 amp e-flite ESC) into the receiver with the secondary battery connected to it (with the red wire disconnected that goes to the receiver) and then connect the light directly to the two of the three motor connections.

I tried this and it worked, although the light flickered the whole time (which I kind of expected because of the pulse modulation to the motor) but I was able to control the brightness with my Futaba TX.

Unfortunately, when I also tried to hook it directly to just a switch in the middle of the battery and the lights, it completely fried the switch wires!!! So I unplugged that really fast.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help on this, maybe some ideas of what you guys would do if you had this setup. I have a limited supply of RC components here, so I want to try and avoid another trip to the hobby store for now. :P

Thanks!
Ecibob is offline Find More Posts by Ecibob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:10 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
On my old slow stick, I just got a spare 3S balance connector that mated to my 3S lipo. Those 1m strips are only supposed to pull 400mah each, so you don't need to worry about pulling too much through the wires. Additionally, you may find than an old BRUSHED esc will do the job of adjusting the light better. You're likely gonna fry the Brushless ESC running it the way you are.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:59 AM
B to the O to the B
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2009
75 Posts
could you link me to a balance connector that you are talking about?

edit: also I'm going to have two of them in parallel
Ecibob is offline Find More Posts by Ecibob
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:35 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-16...ion-for/Detail

Buy something like that, connect wires to the two outside terminals. If you go straight from the battery, you get full blinding voltage. If you put a BRUSHED ESC in between, you get a little bit of variability in the light output.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti