HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2010, 10:50 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
Discussion
Finally flew my Skyfun FPV

I've had the skyfun forever, its an awesome airframe for line of sight flying. Well, I crashed her hard, and had to rebuild her. I had some extra FPV equipment laying around, so - why not???!

200mW 2.4ghz video TX, CX-161 w/1.9mm lens on board. No pan or tilt.
2200mA 3S for motor, 1050mA 3S for video.
2200kV 2826/6 motor w/6x5 prop
Futaba DF-168 rc RX / ferrite rings on servo leads & esc.

Very simple setup, but its proven itself pretty nicely. I never took it very far this flight, but I'll push out farther now that I have more confidence.

Here is the first flight:
Skyfun FPV First flight (3 min 34 sec)

What a blast! Shes quick! And, I never hit anything more than 3/4 throttle even once!
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,120 Posts
hope the image in live was quite better, because looks very blurry in the video
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old May 08, 2010, 02:11 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
Hi Aaron I also have one of these - it's my favourite FPV plane to fly. You'll have lots of fun!!

Get a big field and fly down low. It is simply awesome. I've got some posted up on vimeo too

Is the cam inside the plastic canopy?
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old May 08, 2010, 03:35 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
hope the image in live was quite better, because looks very blurry in the video
You are right... I need to do some focusing. Maybe more. This CX-161 camera looks much much different than my other cx-161, Im not certain why. I have a 2.3mm lens on my other one, and it looks much more sharp and colors are more vibrant.

This 161 has a 1.9mm lens, and Im using a switching bec to power it. Maybe all 161's arent alike? Maybe this lens doesnt have an IR filter? I know its not my TX or RX, it looks worse in the goggles than the recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Hi Aaron I also have one of these - it's my favourite FPV plane to fly. You'll have lots of fun!!

Get a big field and fly down low. It is simply awesome. I've got some posted up on vimeo too

Is the cam inside the plastic canopy?
It made me pee a lil'. Simply awesome is right. Once I get the camera picture prob's sorted out, Im going to rip it up!!! I've watched all your skyfun vid's, Shikra - your the one who inspired the conversion to FPV. The cam is not inside the canopy, it just looks really crappy.
Old May 09, 2010, 10:50 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
So after exhaustive testing, I can conclude that the 1.9mm lens i have for my cx-161 is garbage. It must be lexan or plastic, the glare destroys the image. I noticed the 161 lens has different threads and size than my kx-131 or similar ccd's. What do you call this size? I want to find a replacement on the internet.
Old May 09, 2010, 05:47 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
Thanks for the kind comment! Wow.

That lens gave the effect of being in the canopy!! I tried it and didn't like it.

For the cam, I use a 3.6mm lens, but I do use headtracker. It would be fine without at that size. I launch FPV, but with the headtracker disabled - otherwise the cam will be all over the place as I throw.

The kx550 /sn505 is perfect for these - small size. And good resoloution too. Have also used ccd killer, but need good lighting for that
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
Well, I really dont want to install pan or tilt. I kinda like the fixed-1.9mm lens. I dont like the way it looks though. I will look at a few different camera options. how does the kx550 stack up against the cx-161 for price?
Old May 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
Not good on price - but it's the best non pixim cam I've seen. US cctv stores do them cheaper than FPV stores - some threads on those. VSN500NHB / 505NHB for 12v / 5v variants if I recall.
They are smaller than most of the other cams.
I'd be happy to fly one without pan/tilt on this plane. 3.6 seems to be the most frequnetly used size too.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,646 Posts
Nice, im thinking about getting a Skyfun, what flight time are you getting and whats your AUW.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old May 12, 2010, 01:28 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Nice, im thinking about getting a Skyfun, what flight time are you getting and whats your AUW.
Im not certain about AUW, dont have a scale. But, with a 2200mah 3s main and 1050 3s video battery I am getting about 15-20 if I'm easy on the throttle. 10 if I hot rod it.

I had a hell of a good run today, and just finished editing the 1-in-a-million crash video of my skyfun today. I will start a new thread for the debut of this masterpeice

Still getting horrible results with the camera. I got a special allen key finally, and made a small focus adjustment and its slightly better, but not much. I think I'll have to spring for a new cam. Darn. $$$ isnt my middle name right now!
Old May 14, 2010, 01:35 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
what is your AUW? how does it fly low speed?
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old May 14, 2010, 03:40 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecevans View Post
what is your AUW? how does it fly low speed?
Dont know the AUW, dont have a scale! But it flies well all around. It will stall easily if you try and float slowly.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
So I figured out why my cam was so blurry. It did not like the switching BEC I was using to power it. As soon as I installed my Linear regulator from rangevideo it has suddenly become clear as day. Im also powering everything off my main battery, just tapping 2s from the balance leads of my 3s 2200 flightpack.

I am very happy now. I hope for some good weather now, this is gonna be great. I have a 540tvl camera on its way, but this is fine now! I guess the nice 540tvl can be installed in something I dont plan to crash as often
Old May 27, 2010, 11:01 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Who makes the skyfun? links?

Thanks
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 27, 2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006