Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:09 PM
Surrey, BC Canada
Joined Apr 2000
644 Posts
Please remember that when a charger suggests that it can charge at ten or twenty amps, you MUST provide sufficient INPUT voltage depending on the size of the battery you intend to charge. If you want to charge at high amperages regardless of the number of cells you wish to charge then you MUST have an input voltage of at least 20 volts or more and that power supply must be capable of delivering at least 30 amps or more.
For example, if you want to charge a five cell pack (final voltage 21v) you can not expect to charge it with a 12v power supply or a car battery at 10 or twenty amps. The charger may start out charging a fully discharged battery at 6 or 8 amps but as the pack voltage increases so does the output wattage increase, so the charger has to decrease the charging amperage to prevent the charger from overheating at the output and or the input, Volts X Amps=Watts. The charger will not allow itself to burn out, or at least the decent ones like the Icharger will not. You CAN NOT exceed the output watts.....Period. The input voltage must be equal to or higher than the final voltage of the fully charged battery and it must be able to provide the amperage you wish to charge at. The old computer adage "Garbage In Equals Garbage Out" also applies here.
Rmfish
RMFISH is offline Find More Posts by RMFISH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:38 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFISH View Post
Please remember that when a charger suggests that it can charge at ten or twenty amps, you MUST provide sufficient INPUT voltage depending on the size of the battery you intend to charge. If you want to charge at high amperages regardless of the number of cells you wish to charge then you MUST have an input voltage of at least 20 volts or more and that power supply must be capable of delivering at least 30 amps or more.
The input voltage must be equal to or higher than the final voltage of the fully charged battery and it must be able to provide the amperage you wish to charge at. The old computer adage "Garbage In Equals Garbage Out" also applies here.
Rmfish
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this seems like an overly broad statement to me.

You can charge 1S at 20A (84W) on 12V input if you want.

My 106 can only take 18V max. But I can charge 6S (25V) using my 12.5V supply, up to around 9A. If it was 14V, my input current limit (21A) would allow the full 10A output.

My Duo (60A input limit) can output around 650W on 12.5V. Good for around 25A on 6S.

A statement like you need 20V input for, say, 20A output, regardless of cell count, seems like an over-generalization, to me.

It's about watts, more than amps. So you can output more amps when charging a lower cell count.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:05 PM
Surrey, BC Canada
Joined Apr 2000
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this seems like an overly broad statement to me.

You can charge 1S at 20A (84W) on 12V input if you want.

My 106 can only take 18V max. But I can charge 6S (25V) using my 12.5V supply, up to around 9A. If it was 14V, my input current limit (21A) would allow the full 10A output.

My Duo (60A input limit) can output around 650W on 12.5V. Good for around 25A on 6S.

A statement like you need 20V input for, say, 20A output, regardless of cell count, seems like an over-generalization, to me.

It's about watts, more than amps. So you can output more amps when charging a lower cell count.
That's precisely what I said, WATTS= AMPS X VOLTS. Thank you for agreeing with me!!! The voltage doubler in the input of the charger can not exceed the final fully charged pack voltage if charging at higher amperages. That is why many people buy a 20 amp charger, use a 12v car battery as the input and complain that the 20 amp charger will only charge at 6 or 8 amps. Actually, I only referred to a five cell pack but you obviously get the idea. What I was saying was that if you own 1cell packs through say10 cell packs and you wish to charge them all at high amperages ( regardless of cell count) Then you must have a high efficiency power supply to provide the needed voltage and amperage that the battery you are charging demands.
Rmfish
RMFISH is offline Find More Posts by RMFISH
Last edited by RMFISH; Jul 23, 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,207 Posts
It would be more precise to say that the output power of many chargers depends on the input voltage.
At the maximum allowable input voltage, all chargers achieve their maximum output power. If the input voltage is reduced below a certain treshold, the output power will be reduced as well.
The exact dynamics of this correllation depend on the individual model of the charger.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Czech republic
Joined Aug 2007
6 Posts
Icgarger 106b problem

Hello , I have a problem with my icharger 106b. I connected it to DC supply 28V by my mistake. And small smoke went out from charger. I seems that only position Q30 is burned. Can you send me a type of this transistor? And what else should Icontrol after this over volteg input connection? Please help me. Tahank you, Fiebiger R.
Fibabob is online now Find More Posts by Fibabob