Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 14, 2014, 08:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Build Log
Bi-Copter FPV Build

Recently I started planing a bi-copter build. (The world needs more bicopters!) I'm making it from total scratch and I'm milling the frame out of G10 fibber glass. I only have the frame about 60% finished design wise at the moment and I still need to place the McMastarCarr order.

However the first shipment of parts just arrived so lets get this show on the road!

I'll update this as soon as I finish up the frame and place the order. I've done custom frames before but this is my first one done in a cad program.
Mysion is offline Find More Posts by Mysion
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 08:28 PM
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
435 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it's build process! I've just started the build of a folding h-quad that I designed in Autodesk Inventor. It was the first time I used a laser cutter and CAD to fabricate a multirotor frame. Be sure to check it out here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2185181. I'm excited to follow this build!
RainyDayRC is offline Find More Posts by RainyDayRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Team cirrus fpv debut
Old Jun 14, 2014, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysion View Post
Recently I started planing a bi-copter build. (The world needs more bicopters!)...
Damn right!

RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 14, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:20 AM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Well I finally ordered the remaining parts. I had to silence my inner perfectionist and settle with the best frame I can design right now not the perfect one I wanted to make. But that's what version 2 is for!

If I'm lucky I might be able to start milling it by the end of this week, USPS do your stuff!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
The 1/16 fiber glass (garolite XX) just arived from MC master carr and it's warped...

Any one have any idea how to fix this?

Old Jun 19, 2014, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Frame design is 95% done, maybe just some minor tweaking left. I made it in Creo Parametric 2 and took the screen shot from blender, witch I used to get an idea of how it would go together.

Some of the parts take up more material then they need too and those need to be made smaller. Some other parts might need some final polish too.
Last edited by Mysion; Jun 19, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:18 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
647 Posts
subbed
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jun 26, 2014, 02:35 AM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
547 Posts
So cool.
caotri is offline Find More Posts by caotri
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Feb 2014
158 Posts
nice!
etegration is offline Find More Posts by etegration
Old Jun 27, 2014, 02:39 AM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
824 Posts
It looks like your planning oblique active tilting (OAT). That's a good methodology.
Test Pilot Mafia is offline Find More Posts by Test Pilot Mafia
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:30 AM
Belgium, Flanders, Tongeren
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysion View Post
The 1/16 fiber glass (garolite XX) just arived from MC master carr and it's warped...

Any one have any idea how to fix this?

Interesting question. I once had the same problem with a 1mm CF sheet.
Would be nice if someone had an answer to this one.
PiperWipo is online now Find More Posts by PiperWipo
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:41 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
I'm not sure you can fix that warped piece. Might try a little test piece in an oven to see if the resin will soften a little then harden back up after you take it out?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 08:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
I gave up trying to fix the warp. My limited research ended up being that unless it's less than 2 weeks old it's been cured and is impossible to fix. I hope that if I bolt two pieces together that warp in the opposite directions then they will hold each other in check. It's only issue with the main body pieces because all the others are pretty short.

I made the changes to the design witch uses less material. The body is now shorter(250mm vs 350mm) and the motor mounts consume less material and they can rotate ~45 degrees vs the 10 degrees is could originally.

I hope to machine it today too, here's a picture of the machine ready to go!

Old Jun 27, 2014, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
RCvertt if that happens again I might try the oven trick. I was just a little bit impatient and egger to get this thing built. I hope my gamble pays off. Also I'm not sure my mother would be too happy with me sticking this in her oven. She was not happy when I used it to re-flow a laptop....

Test pilot Mafia I'm using the oblique bi-copter after seeing threads like yours and the NVader kits. I only have a so so grasp of why it works but I figure that there has to be a good reason why others are doing it.

dcame002 I hope I deliver!

caotri & etegration Thanks!

PiperWipo Yeah that warp can be annoying I just hope it's insignificant for my project.
Last edited by Mysion; Jun 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
I was not able to mill every thing on Friday. There's still a few G10 parts left to mill and non of the ABS parts were even started.

However I did get enough parts to start getting an idea of what it will look like.