Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:56 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
Build Log
Flite Test Viggen EDF speed build kit

This thread will be my build log for the Flite Test Viggen, but also a place for everyone to come and add content, ideas, pictures, videos, stories, whatever it is, if it's about the Viggen feel free to post.

I am doing a build video so I will be able to post that once I am finished, I also got the full vinyl graphics found on the Flite Test website as a PDF for download. I had callie graphics make the graphics for me. In the video I will show how I installed the graphics and any tips I have for the install.

Viggen page and link to graphics- http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-viggen

Callie Graphics- http://www.callie-graphics.com

Here are some pictures of what I have got done so far, more to come as I am stuck inside building due to rain all weekend.

Chris
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Watts cooking; Feb 28, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:36 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Beautiful Chris!

My FT Viggen arrived today and (being my first Flite Test speed build kit) I was really impressed with the quality and packaging. I ordered the base fan package from Grayson Hobbies and it's no longer showing as backordered, so hopefully it will be shipping soon! I've loved the Viggen since I was a teenager (a long time ago) and I'm really excited to be starting this build. I've also inquired with Callie Graphics with what info I had on the scheme I want to see if I have enough for her to work off of.

Great to see the new thread - Subscribed!

Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Viggen paint schemes

If your struggling with a paint scheme you basiclly have four options:

1.) The early natural aluminum finish. This would be a great one for someone with some airbrush skills. It would look great with the varing hues & tones, and panel lines would really set it off!

2.) The four tone splinter camoflage. This is the scheme that I really like but it's one bugger to mask! Enter Flite Test & Callie Graphics which makes this scheme doable! (Not to say that it it couldn't be painted, it would just be a real project)

3.) The two tone grey scheme. Realitvely easy to do even with basic airbrush skills and the flouresent orange 'buzz' numbers would really stand out!

4.) Special schemes. There were a number of colorful special schemes applied to the Viggen over her service career.

Here's a few ideas to get things going!

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Mar 01, 2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Wording
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:29 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
2,328 Posts
Hey guys, looks good, did you paint the kit before starting, or did it come that way?
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 188 AG Wagon
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
It came white bare foam board, the graphics are a full vinyl wrap done by Callie graphics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Viggen paint schemes 2

Here's some photo's of some additioal Viggen special schemes!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diversion: My Easy Star Hack
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:24 AM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
2,328 Posts
Oh, I didn't look that close. I did my FT planes from scratch, I seen black foam board at wally world. The Delta, hey, its bad to the bone. The way this looks it will be too!!!
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 188 AG Wagon
Old Mar 01, 2014, 07:43 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
Subd
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Mar 01, 2014, 09:24 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Gabe,

Just to clairify, the kit comes in the normal white paper covered foam that your used to seeing, the dark colored areas on the inside parts on Chris' Viggen are covered with the vinyl graphics as well! Everything is covered on both sides by the vinyl decals (except for maybe the inside of the turtledeck and nose pieces).

Chris,

Which makes me wonder, after applying the inside pieces do you have to 'slit' the vinyl at each score for the bends and remove it for the 'B' folds?

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2014, 09:55 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,719 Posts
Landing gear would look cool!
Subscribed
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Mar 01, 2014, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
IWC,

Yes - I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to belly land when I get this done! A set of fixed gear might be doable in a 1/4 foam wing but (IMHO) the only thing worse than no gear would be watching a jet go by on a high speed pass with the gear dangling - Oh for a set of ultra thin electric retracts!

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2014, 12:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Viggen Modifications

While I think David Windestål and the Flite Test team has done a marvelous job with this design, has anyone considered any modifications yet?

Unfortunately I don't have a nice grass field to fly off of (or more importantly to belly land on)! I'm considering adding balsa leading edges to the canards, wings, inlets, and vertical fin to better resist the stubble I'll be having to set down in. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts (pro or con) regarding such a mod.

I also have some reservations about permanantly installing the EDF within the Viggen. I've considered a screw in plate that mounts flush with the bottom of the wing with the EDF mounted to it (kind of like a swappable EDF power pod) or not gluing the fuselage to the wing and making it a screw together affair to allow access to the fan unit. I realize this equates to more weight but I just don't like the idea of entombing the fan and motor and not having access for maintenance. Just considering this one.

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2014, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
Ok got some more done on the Viggen today, the video is still coming along. Im doing the video more for just the vinyl install and not the total build as the build video put out by flite test is better than i could do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
Man, that's really looking nice. Great job with the vinyl ! Can you tell me what it cost you to have the vinyl printed? As I am in Indiana, I don't know if I will be able to find someone here to print it out for me or not. I sure hope so..

Keep up the good work, and continue posting the great pictures..

Jim
jdmartin is offline Find More Posts by jdmartin
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
I hope the video i am doing for the vinyl install will be able to help others out, most of the vinyl needs to be installed before assembly or you won't be able to get to some spots. The full graphics kit cost $45 shipped from callie-graphics.com, I'm sure you could get some variations on the schemes as now she has the dimensions on file. Glad you are enjoying the thread and i will have lots more pictures and video to come.

Chris
RCG Plus Member