HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
Question
What sailplane to get?

Hi everyone i'm just getting into sail planes and am after a decent electric sailplane but i haven't a clue where to start. I was looking at the skip miller models Speedo PNP Electric 1.2m but there doesn't seems to be many videos or many reviews of it. So can anyone point me in the right direction?.
R055Y is offline Find More Posts by R055Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:57 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,358 Posts
Not stating your budget, I put up some links to vendors who have e-sailplanes and excellent reputations and have good flying birds. Pick one you like, it's not easy choosing just one.

http://www.espritmodel.com/f5j-alesl...ailplanes.aspx

http://www.soaringusa.com/F5J-LMR-ALES-Electrics/

http://www.icare-rc.com/power_glider.htm

http://www.arthobby.com/#

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/index.html

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Electric_s/6.htm

http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,081 Posts
As is all models, bigger flies better. The 1.2 meter you are looking for is a slope glider, really. Not having a slope around, then you use the eletric version. The DLG gliders are in a 1.5m size and weigh around 6-9 oz. Those are hand launched. I would not want to go any smaller wingspan than 1.5 for eletric gliders. I am intersted in thermal flight - if you are after slope type flight - then you may be able to go with a smaller wing.

Usually 2m is about the general span recommended for starter gliders. That is a good mix in visibility, equipment size and capabilities.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Thanks so lots to choose from. I'm only after a 1.5m tops as i'm only after something you can take up highwith the motor then glide back down.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
555 Posts
I'll chime in on what Jim said. The Speedo is a slope plane. If you have slopes nearby, I encourage you to play with them. Slopes are FUN! The cool thing is you can slope just about any glider. If you decide slope is the thing for you, then getting dedicated slope planes is probably a good route to go.

In the meanwhile, for motoring up and gliding a 2m really is a nice size to learn on. Smaller than that and they really do start to feel every bump and wiggle in the air. I've got a 2m motor glider and love it. I can already tell I'll eventually want something bigger. But not smaller.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Nov 25, 2013, 03:59 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R055Y View Post
Thanks so lots to choose from. I'm only after a 1.5m tops as i'm only after something you can take up highwith the motor then glide back down.
Cermack used to produce the Newtimer (2 piece wing)which was an update on a Playboy ,I have one of the Newtimers and would recommend it for very relaxed 3 channel climb and glide, If not available Playboy kits are around and not hard to build, almost as good as glider is a Funcub recommended first plane imho.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,437 Posts
If you are interested in learning to soar in thermals then it's just about impossible to beat the standard Parkzone Radian. It's simple to assemble and fly, has a two piece wing so will fit in a small trunk, it's available as anything from a "kit" to a ready to fly from several vendors so you can find the balance of price and completeness to suit your budget, is easy to repair and has spare parts available, and soars every bit as well as many sailplanes that cost 5-10 as much.

If you really want ailerons then the Flyzone Calypso would be an excellent choice. It's a little more versatile but doesn't quite match the pure floating ability of the Radian though it's probably better than the Radian Pro (I have not flown a Radian Pro so I'm going by reputation.). It's also available from several vendors with or without electronics and spare parts are available.

When model sailplanes get much below 6 foot wind span one really starts to lose soaring ability unless you are going for an ultra light hand launch/DLG. The extra wing area is pretty much a necessity if one wants a useful power system.

If you want to stay away from foam then we would really need an idea of your price range. Esprit Models offers several glass fuse/ balsa wing sailplanes between 1.8 and 2.5 meters that would be good choices for a first sailplane if you have some flying experience. Also check out Soaring U.S.A. and Art Hobbies.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi RO55Y,

Radian is the hands down winner in this kind of voting.

But, like Peter said, Art Hobby or Sky Bench get my votes. I have a Lil Bird from Sky Bench, and a Castor from Art Hobby. The Orion has replaced the Castor. All good stuff.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:58 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,081 Posts
The question is rather like the " I want to date a girl.... which one should I ask" question.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
That's right Jim. For me, the answer has always been this, blond, green eyes, size 5 or less.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2013, 09:27 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,858 Posts
Another vote for 2 meter minimum on wingspan. (Ok, 6 feet is acceptable, but 100 inches is better.)

I concur that, if you don't want to build and can't make it to an auction, the Radian is a good choice. Note that the Radian PNP is less expensive than the Speedo PNP. But, at least around here (Boston) there are some auctions where decent balsa gliders will go very inexpensively. In fact, we've got one coming up on Sunday.

You might as well pick something that is light, big, and slow. Easier to fly, will come down more slowly, is more visible, and so on.

If I have a student who is willing to build, I usually recommend the Olympic II. It's a bit easier to fly than a 2 meter model, it stays up longer, and it's more visible. You might even find one for sale in an auction. Some other decent trainers would include the Gentle Lady (wing spar requires somewhat more delicacy on winch than some) and the Sig Riser 2 meter, Olympic 650, and many others. The Paragon has a good reputation but may require significantly more power. And these are models that you might see at an auction. BTW, you don't need high tech to stay up for a long time. At least, not on a good day. The high tech models deal with wind and strong sink better, because they are faster. Also, if you get the ailerons, flaps, programming etc. set up right they are easier to land exactly where you want. At least if you've practiced. I've flown an Oly II for over an hour a couple of times, or maybe more. I've flown it until my neck hurt many more times.

Note that most motor recommendations, IMHO, are for far more power than required. This is not necessarily a problem if they 're not too heavy or expensive, but not everyone needs to get to 200 meters in 30 seconds, or to hover. The original Allegro E Lite weighed maybe 23ounces and used a Speed 400 direct drive. Maybe that's 75 to 100 watts into a less than efficient motor. The climb was adequate as long as you kept it moving.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:18 AM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
The parkzone radian pro it is.