HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:16 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
I can't say I'd recommend the following launch methods but we sure had fun trying them out...

Nodd RC - 077 - Forgot the Towplane (4 min 57 sec)
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:33 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd be better off using the belly hook or not

It would give a better climb on launch but you would lose the ability to release...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:49 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
Yeah we considered using the belly hook but opted for the aerotow release instead. That seemed a little safer & I expect we'd have had issues with slack line & the hook popping off early. We weren't really serious about either method, was more of a lets see if this'll work, kinda thing. Lots of fun.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:51 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,621 Posts
Watched the vids on YouTube last night NODD, looked like a lot of fun. Wish we had someone who was into aerotowing at the club, I would like to get this plane but not sure about high start launching all the time.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:58 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
Yeah we considered using the belly hook but opted for the aerotow release instead. That seemed a little safer & I expect we'd have had issues with slack line & the hook popping off early. We weren't really serious about either method, was more of a lets see if this'll work, kinda thing. Lots of fun.
Yup. Looked like fun!

SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jun 30, 2014, 04:04 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Watched the vids on YouTube last night NODD, looked like a lot of fun. Wish we had someone who was into aerotowing at the club, I would like to get this plane but not sure about high start launching all the time.

Marlin
Go for it, the Ka8 is a peach on the high start (bungee this side of the pond), we've also aerotowed them using a Dynam foamy Tigermoth
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:24 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Sloped the devil out of the Kate today at a site called Dino(saur) north of Dillon reservoir in Colorado. It was 5 to 20 and sunny. I had the spoilers out for about 75 percent of the time. Had fun trying to stay in one spot with full rudder deflection and feathering the aileron. Added about 6 ounces on the floor in between the elevator and rudder pushrods.

Big thermals out in the valley and if you didn't hook one the first time, zing back to ridge for some of that sweet free lift and take off straight out again looking for the elevator that's headed to the top floor.

Flew for about 2 hours and used about 30 percent of the stock battery.
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
What do folks use for line when aerotowing, any special hooks, attachments
My thanks in advance
mrdoodah is offline Find More Posts by mrdoodah
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:45 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,818 Posts
I'm using about 60-70ft of braided mason twine with a streamer of surveyors flagging tape. after a botched tow (line wrapped around the Ka8 wing) I've started using a short length of kite string on either end as a weak link. This with my Fun-cub.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:31 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
For this scale I agree, around 60 - 70 feet works well.

You can make up your own aerotow line or just order one from IFLYTAILIES.com
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:28 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,818 Posts
Actually I sort of mis-remembered. On that particular botched tow we released from the Fun cub and landed the Ka8 with the tow line attached. A bit of white gorilla glue and all was good. The time I decided we needed a weak link was when trying to tow a Radian. First tow went ok, on the next one the Radian yawed into the ground and acted like an anchor No time to even think about activating the tow release and the cub augered in. fortunately the FC is a tough bird and no harm was done.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:16 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
Again I agree, a weaker section of tow-line is pretty common on tow-lines. At lease one section placed at the tow-plane end of the tow-line is good insurance. That way if the tow-line snags a tree or whatever while the tow-plane is landing, it should break free regardless what part of the line snags. It doesn't hurt to also place a second weaker section at the glider's end too but I wouldn't say that's as important.

I've often wondered why not just make the entire towline out of the weaker line? But I guess using heavier line for the majority of the length helps resist ware-n-tare, plus it's easier to handle.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:14 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
518 Posts
With the Dynam Foamy Tigermoth we have a piece of velcro behind the rear pilot and then have the tow line velecro'd to that and then hooked up to the tow hitch on the K8. We started off with regular string which worked OK to begin with but then the string became weak and keep snapping so we are now using the thin polyester line that was included. But the velcro attachment works well.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS