HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:37 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,929 Posts
Thanks John.... It will be a little different with that color scheme.

A short one today. I got all of the electronics placed and the two BECS wired up and installed to the failsafe unit. A nice feature with Hitec receivers is that I can wire the RX itself directly to the main battery. Unless a wire breaks I pretty much have guaranteed protection against brown outs.

The 20Amp BEC is the primary that and goes to one side of the failsafe and is set for 6V. The secondary BEC is a 10Amp that goes to the second input of the failsafe and is set for 5.2V. The failsafe output goes to the battery input of the RX to power the servos only.

The yellow box is the gear and door sequencer. The blue box is the light control unit for the landing lights and navigation lights which I'm not installing in this model. The Birger Burners are located in the rear on the fan Shrouds to save on wire weight. The wiring adds about 12-14 oz of weight. This bird uses a lot of wire and connectors. I'm going to add a wire jacket that runs down the fuse for the many connections to the wings and rear end bits. This way it should keep any loose wires from getting inside the fans. The extra few grams is worth it.

When I get back from AITH Vegas then I'll build the composite wing molds and all future versions will have a full scale lighting system.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:39 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
Lookin great jimbo!!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:09 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,338 Posts
So sweet....
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,929 Posts
Thanks lads

Finally got all the wiring custom made, tested and installed. I was having issues with the gear sequencer controlling the landing lights. So I ran the LL signal to the sequencer and split out the power +/- to the second output of the Big BEC. This corrected the problem and everything works just great. Its so cool to see the lights come on super bright when the mains drop down.

So I need to clean up the cable paths and clamp them down so no sucky in to the fans. Once this is done then I just have to adjust the main gear tow in to be less aggressive and paint the wing bottom.

I'm thinking to install my telemetry so that I can record ground speed Watts and current draw. I now have the room in the electronics bay having moved the light controller to the rear.

For V3 I'm going to look at building in a cable/wire channel and pre-wire before joining top and bottom fuse. This would save days of fishing wires and trying to secure them once built.

Oh! I forgot that I have to make a mold for the intake air diverter........
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
thats a great idea jim. say, maybe i missed it but did your AUW end up less than V1? same power system or?
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
675 Posts
That's looking really good Ace! Glad it's all coming together. Have you got some kind of pitot tube installed to measure airspeed or is it GPS based to measure land speed?
shoey is online now Find More Posts by shoey
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,513 Posts
So Ace was the intake just too small to run full ducting or did you even try ? i cant remember
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY