HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:07 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,543 Posts
Question
NSP Bird of Prey design?

Hey, all. I'm looking for info on the old Bird of Prey from northeast sailplane.

My dad had one a few years ago and would like to either find one, or find enough information to be able to duplicate the design from scratch. It had a very unusual planform, and he liked it a lot.

I think it used the Selig 7080? Anyone know any more about it?
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
Only "Bird of Prey" I know of was a small electric foward swept pusher jet. I did come across a slope version with a very similar design though, is this the one you mean?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
That Sparrow is not even close to the NSP one or did you know that already. I have a set of plan's for a 2m model of the XFG-1 fuel glider and it look's a bit like your Sparrow. Your Sparrow also look's like a Tucan FSW sloper.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:53 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,543 Posts
Nope, it's a full sized TD ship. 3m, maybe 3.2? Standard tail, slightly swept, crescent wing.

Found some pictures of one here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
It's in a couple of the NSP catalog's I have. I personally don't know anything about it and have never flown one. I do wish you luck in your search. I've done it a few time's too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:45 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,543 Posts
Thanks, I'll need it, I think. (-:

Does your catalog say anything about airfoil or span?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
And my catalog say's 7037. 120" W.S.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,503 Posts
You might contact Phil Barnes. Odds are he made wings for this NSP ship as he did many others for them.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:13 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
797 Posts
The Bird of Prey was listed on NSP's site from 1996 with an obechi-sheeted wing until ~2000, then the Bird of Prey C (composite wing) was introduced and and stayed listed until the website closed, so there's probably one still in the warehouse. The airfoil is a modified SD7037.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
I wonder how many other NSP model's are in Sal's warehouse. A former employee has mentioned as much. The only one I really loved is the 2m Alcyone. Ever since I saw it on a SW Classic T-shirt year's ago. I do have a nib Kestral 2m, some day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
I have a 3m Alcyone that is still flying...after many, many years...
sloper10 is offline Find More Posts by sloper10
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:33 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
That Sparrow is not even close to the NSP one or did you know that already. I have a set of plan's for a 2m model of the XFG-1 fuel glider and it look's a bit like your Sparrow. Your Sparrow also look's like a Tucan FSW sloper.
I didn't think that was the one you were talking about.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:48 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,543 Posts
Hmm.. I wonder what the "modified" means in "modified 7037". 970 squares, 120", couple of pictures and some time with liftroll just might be the trick..
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:06 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
The Bird of Prey wing was the first thing I ever made for Sal at NSP. I sold the first wings to him in August of 1996. The last ones I made were around the year 2000. As has been mentioned, other versons were made prior to the foam core, carbon skinned version that I made. I wasn't even the first person to make the composite version. I certainly had nothing to do with the design of the modeI, not even the structural design. In fact I learned the structural details from Sal, over the phone. I still have the foam cutting patterns that show the planform, so I'll try to describe them:

The wing was made from three panels.

The root panel had a span of 28", a root chord of 10" and a tip chord of 9 1/8". The first panel's trailing edge did not sweep back, the trailing edge made a 90 degree angle to the fuselage center line. The tip of the root panel had a 92 degree angle between the trailing edge and the outboard end of the panel, so the aft sweep begins at that point along the span of the wing.

The second panel of the wing had a span of 19 5/8", a root chord of 9 1/8" and a tip chord of 7 1/8". It had 92 degree angles at both the inboard and outboard ends of the panel.

The tip panel had a span of 12", a root chord of 7 1/8" and a tip chord of 4 1/8". The root end of this panel also made a 92 degree angle to its trailing edge.

The construction was solid core bagged. It used spyder foam (or any 60 psi foam would also work as well) in the root panel. Any 25psi foam would be fine for the outer panels. It had a 1/2" inside diameter, 30" long carbon tube in each wing half. It had a layer of 4.8oz uni-carbon/s-glass and a finish layer of 3/4oz glass for the skins top and bottom.
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:10 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
Hmm.. I wonder what the "modified" means in "modified 7037". 970 squares, 120", couple of pictures and some time with liftroll just might be the trick..
I know of two possible reasons for the use of the word "modified" in the airfoil description:

1) No one can copy the airfoil used on the wing if they don't know what the airfoil is.

2) No one can complain that the airfoil of the wing they just got was not produced accurately enough if they don't know what the airfoil was supposed to be.

Neither reason is sufficient that anyone should think that the airfoil was ever intended to be anything other than a 7037.
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes