Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:38 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
I've got an Albatros that I'm not currently flying, as my landing skills aren't adequate for the field I'm using now. It has an AR600 rx, so I can recycle that into the Archer until I get a replacement for it.
If flaperons work on Archer I may also do same on Albatros.

So, assuming I am using an AR600 in the Archer rather than the 4 channel Ar400, how would I set that up? I found a couple of videos in YouTube but I didn't find them as good as they could be. And I think initial settings for sure would be useful!!

Regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:04 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Update:
Installed the AR600, referenced the various how-to's on inteweb that all seemed unclear-(but actually were!)-and got it working. In about 5 minutes

But one thing I happened on was concerns about the use of flaperons with outboard ailerons as it creates "wash-out". The two remedies I came across were
1) Don't use a lot of flap setting. I would start out with small amounts anyway and work my way up..
2) Spoilerons not flaperons! Looks like this is just flaps going upwards rather than downwards. I believe it should also require the opposite setting for the elevator mix.

Any experience with spoilerons on Archer?

In any event, I'll update with real life experience, but that will have to wait until next weekend..

thanks to all for feedback and regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:13 AM
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
244 Posts
Spoilerons could be a great way to kill that float that happens at touchdown. Sailplanes use them along with actual flaps to create the "crow" control surface setup for high drag. Allows them to put the nose down to drop altitude without going to fast.

Maybe rigging a 3-way switch for flaps normal/landing/spoiler 0/10/-10

Remember I haven't tried it and have no experience trying it. But it sounds possible, and when I finish my wing repairs I have the rx that came with my dx6....
kitetricks is offline Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:37 AM
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
244 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=5

This post makes me think it maybe better to spend time adding regular flaps. Because of the tapered wing tips the Archer already has a little bit of a tip stall tendency. Still it sounds like a fun flight test to try to take on but hard to document.

If you have upgraded the ESC, there should be some overhead to support flaps.
kitetricks is offline Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I've had my eye on the Archer for a while now as a new plane with tricycle gear , something I haven't flown yet. But now I am thinking I would prefer to find something with flaps (EFLU1180 Carbon Cub 24 in wingspan) to add to my skills. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU1180

Whichever I buy, I would definitely add the Lemon-Rx 7Ch Rx w/stab without question. http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=106
Don
If you are looking for something with tricyle gear around the size of the Archer, I agree with thosmosis, I definitely prefer the FMS 800mm T28 (I have both). The t28 can take 3s and handle gyro rx with stock ESC(although I upgraded my T28 ESC to 30A just to be safe). That said, I did order the Lemon gyro rx and will modify the Archer. I am going to put the original 20A ESC from the T28 into the Archer since it can handle more BEC Amperage needed for the gyro. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

By the way, I don't find that the Archer or t28 needs flaps. Both of them need a little power all the way in, but that is normal for non "trainers". I have other similar sized planes (e.g. Flyzone mini--switch) that come in way hotter than these two. The UMX Carbon Cub is a popular plane for practicing flaps, but IMO it is way overpriced. It is a sweet flying little plane, though, if you are into micros.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:37 PM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
607 Posts
As an alternative to the Archer and if size isn't a factor also consider the new Parkzone Sport Cub with ASX3 http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-PKZ6880
ParkZone Sport Cub BNF AS3X (7 min 23 sec)

Not that you need them but you can add flaps as well.
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitetricks View Post
Please post your results if you try it. I've been curious also.
Okay, I maidened the Archer with Lemon stability rx today. Overall impressions are positive. I flew in moderate winds and was noticably smoother on takeoffs and landings. Still a bit twitchy on the ailerons but probably need to dial down some of the gains.

I love the size of this Rx, much smaller than the equivalent Orange stability rx, it fit very easily in the existing Rx slot with just minor foam removal. In fact, replacing ESC (to 20A) required more foam cutting.

As a receiver, the Lemon is outstanding so far with no range issues. And for $18, this is a steal. Arrived from overseas in about a week.

Only issue is the Archer is still way underpowered for flying in wind, really needs 3s but at least with the new Rx it flies smoothly in the presense of wind.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Jul 17, 2014, 06:54 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,408 Posts
An alternative to the Archer that stays in the same family and is a similar size would be the Senica that NitroPlanes sells.

The Senica is basically a twin Cherokee Arrow . It looks fantastic.

Kyosho sold that exact same airframe under their own brand and now it's sold under Tex RC. Reports say it's a fantastic flyer. I'm very tempted to get one.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:14 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
An alternative to the Archer that stays in the same family and is a similar size would be the Senica that NitroPlanes sells.

The Senica is basically a twin Cherokee Arrow . It looks fantastic.

Kyosho sold that exact same airframe under their own brand and now it's sold under Tex RC. Reports say it's a fantastic flyer. I'm very tempted to get one.
Wow, that is a nice alternative Rampage!!

New 900mm TEX PA-34 Civilian Aircraft Quick Look (1 min 56 sec)
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP