HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Discussion
Gurney Flaps - Use and Sizing

I'm curious what kind of experience people might have using Gurney Flaps on their RC planes... why use them, how to size them, and how they perform. I haven't actually tried one yet, although I have added one to one of my smaller planes that I plan to test fly soon, weather and wife permitting.

I sized my test-case using the following paper as a guide. Note that there is an extra factor of 10^3 on the final formula that appears to be unnecessary.

http://www.cirodesignracing.com/Ciro...20research.pdf

Regards,
Bill
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,867 Posts
If it helps, there is this thread with Gurney in it's title, - Gurney flaps on symmetrical wings? - which also has links to three other threads.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Thanks... I've read those threads before; they're what got me more interested in gurney flaps and their potential use on foamies. I guess I'm looking for easy ways to improve wing performance without going to the effort of building a wing in the traditional fashion.

In the little bit of testing I've done (on just one plane), adding a gurney flap (sized per the article I posted eariler) led to a fairly significant increase in distance of glide. I haven't tried it in powered flight yet.

Bill
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member