HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:49 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Build Log
Great Planes Piper Cub .40 size KIT!!! NOW FINISHED and FLOWN! Come on in!

I know this plane has probably been done to DEATH, but for me this present a new challenge. Stick Building. So I'm going to post up what I've done so far and then start getting more detailed in my photos along the way. If you have built this plane or are interested in building this plane, join in. I don't want other cubs mentioned or talked about here. This is strictly for the Great Planes Piper Cub .40 size kit!!!

SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Aug 31, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Tail Fin and Rudder

Like I said, I already started to build this before I decided to do a build log of it. The Tail Fin and Rudder are super simple to build. Just wait until you see the wing though!

Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
One of my first kits when I got back in the hobby 14 years a go . Had a OS .26 4 stroke in it . Makes a nice looking Cub , but it doesn't fly like a trainer . If you do a turn wrong , it will fall out of the sky . I recommend building a good bit of washout into the wings to keep it from tip stalling .

It is a wonderful looking Cub in the air and will teach you to use the rudder . Slip slides and stall turns come naturally to it and flatspins are an adrenaline rush as it takes about three revolutions to come out after the controls are released .
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Horizontal Stab and Elevator

Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
One of my first kits when I got back in the hobby 14 years a go . Had a OS .26 4 stroke in it . Makes a nice looking Cub , but it doesn't fly like a trainer . If you do a turn wrong , it will fall out of the sky . I recommend building a good bit of washout into the wings to keep it from tip stalling .

It is a wonderful looking Cub in the air and will teach you to use the rudder . Slip slides and stall turns come naturally to it and flatspins are an adrenaline rush as it takes about three revolutions to come out after the controls are released .
Hi 4stroker. Thanks for the heads up on the stalling. I've flown many cubs, but just now decided to build this one. Check my blog out to see the other planes I fly. Giant Scale all the way baby. Well, except for this one, and a few others, but I do have the ability to fly these.

When you say "washout" is that the same thing as Dihedral?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Wings

Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Jan 24, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Hi 4stroker. Thanks for the heads up on the stalling. I've flown many cubs, but just now decided to build this one. Check my blog out to see the other planes I fly. Giant Scale all the way baby. Well, except for this one, and a few others, but I do have the ability to fly these.

When you say "washout" is that the same thing as Dihedral?
No , washout is raising the trailing edge maybe two degrees progressively toward the tip of the wings so that the tips of the wings stall last . This helps prevent the dreaded tip stall where the plane loses airspeed and tips down going into an uncontrollable dive ( unless you have LOTS of altitude) . It is rather uncanny that you can't pull out of it . Must be an aerodynamic reason , but I've never seen it discussed .

Gonna use electric power ?
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna build this electric. Not sure on the motor yet. Probably just use a EFlite Power 46.

Did you build your wing with the recommended 1 servo for the ailerons? I'm thinking about just adding two servos, one in each half of the wing. I've never been a fan of the 1 servo for both aileron thing.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
4stroker, You must be talking about the .20 size Great Planes Cub, as they have a .20, .40 and .60 size. The .20 is too heavy for its size, and has issues as you stated, but this is the .40 size which flies as a Cub should, light and floaty. I had hundred's of flights on the .40 size, and if built light and correctly, it flies great just like a Cub should. Skyline, build it stock, no need for any washout on this one. Just build it straight and true and you will be rewarded with a great flying Cub. Its very very easy to build. Not a stickbuild at all, although it is built out of wood. If you want a stickbuilt Cub, build the 1/6 scale Sig kit. It is a true stickbuilt airframe. It flies even better and lighter than the Great Planes kit.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Thanks Scott,

I'll be trying to build this lite, but it will be covered with Solartex. I understand Solartex is a little heavier and after getting myself enough covering, I don't think its going to be a problem at all.

Have you built this one?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,733 Posts
It's kinda late into the build, but maybe you could lighten the fuselage, tail and wing structure, and plan on moving servos, RC gear and battery pack forward, so that you can use a relataively light weight motor and battery pack, without needing nose ballast. The lower you can make the wing loading/all-up weight, the more it will be able to fly slowly and scale-like, with lower stall speed and land gently like a real Cub. Model won't need as much strength in the nose and cabin, etc without the vibration of an IC engine. It's surprising how little power is actually needed to keep a model like this in the air at cruise speed.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Not exactly sure how to make the wing any lighter, but I could see making the tail stab, elevator, fin and rudder lighter. I was thinking that they seemed awfully robust. I haven't started on the fuse yet. Have you built this plane before?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Thanks Scott,

I'll be trying to build this lite, but it will be covered with Solartex. I understand Solartex is a little heavier and after getting myself enough covering, I don't think its going to be a problem at all.

Have you built this one?
Yea, About 18 years ago. I powered it with a Saito .50 4 stroke, and it was actually overpowered for a Cub. Really flew great, light and floaty. I've built and flown around 20 different J-3's and PA-18's, and this kit was a good one. I covered mine with 21 st century fabric which is really heavy, so the Solartex will be great on yours. If I remember correctly, it weighed about 6 and a half pounds, and the 76 inch wing carried it very well. Just remember to keep it light. No heavy overpowered equipment. Some would argue with me, but I bet it would fly great on a nice 4 cell system.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
How long has this kit been around?

Also, thanks for the input and coming into this thread. Very much appreciated!

And I agree with the power setup. A Power 32 or a Power 46 on 4s or 5s would be perfect.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
Hey Skyline, I found it! Pin your stab and elevators together with the required hinge 'gap' then sand all around to even the outlines. Mark which side is 'up' for each of the 3 parts and when final assembly time comes there will be no misaligned surfaces as seen in the stab/ elev pic posted. So far so good!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP