Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2010, 10:07 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
Any word yet on the stock battery dimentions?
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:27 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
855 Posts
Stock battery dimension? Great question! I was wondering the same thing. The e-flite site does not list the dimensions of the battery. At 60oz, 2:1 thrust to weight and a 48" span, this plane is going to handle wind well. 5-10 mph with my PA Katana and it gets packed up. Durable, and flyable when my balsa planes in the same size are not. Sweet.
If you would like to donate to the tele1974 carbon Z yak fund feel free to pm me and I will give you my paypal account.

Do you think that landing gear is going to hold up on a grass run way?
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Taranis
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Probably. My ParkZone Extra 300 gear is holding up fine flying off of rough grass in a park.
DFflyer is offline Find More Posts by DFflyer
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:38 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Stock battery dimension? Great question! I was wondering the same thing. The e-flite site does not list the dimensions of the battery. At 60oz, 2:1 thrust to weight and a 48" span, this plane is going to handle wind well. 5-10 mph with my PA Katana and it gets packed up. Durable, and flyable when my balsa planes in the same size are not. Sweet.
If you would like to donate to the tele1974 carbon Z yak fund feel free to pm me and I will give you my paypal account.

Do you think that landing gear is going to hold up on a grass run way?
Would be nice to know what cheap batteries will fit, or if those with Habu batteries could use them for longer flight times. The stock battery should be a decent indication, but battery slot dimentions would be even more useful. I would love to know if I can work out a common 2650-3,000mah battery that I can stock up on to fit all my 4 cell stuff, of if I am looking at spending hundreds for a total of 20 minutes worth of flight time on some odd sized proprietary battery, it is a given the 2800mah stock batteries will be hard to come by for a while once it is released. It kinda sucks having only a single battery for weeks until spares get out into stores, or a decent alternate is released ala blade 120SR.

I do think this is going to be good in the wind too. My PKZ extra can handle an amazing ammount of wind for it's size, plenty of power, very manuverable, and a little on the heavy size, instead of fighting the wind, it makes it easy to use the wind for aerobatics. From the looks of things the Yak will probably fly similarly, although a little more floaty with much better slow and post stall flight charachteristics with a lot more control throw and power.

As far as the gear working well on grass, it remains to be seen, but it looks tall, wide and raked forward quite a bit, good for prop clearance and stability, same wire style legs that my Extra has, plenty of spring to take the shock of hard landings. The wheels should be 2.5"-2.75", going by relative mesurements of the side profile photo on HH's website, it shouldn't be a problem, especially with the pants that look pretty narrow, they help cut through grass a bit better than the wheels alone. If the wheels are smaller, and there is not room in the wheel pants for bigger wheels, then it is pretty easy to just stick a set of bigger wheels on, although it doesn't look as good. I've had very good luck in the grass with my extra wearing 2.5" wheels raked forward a bit more than stock, and a 1.25" tailwheel, coupled with full high rate up elevator and a 10.5" prop it rolls great in the grass.
Last edited by alucard0822; Nov 04, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:44 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
The good news about these foam planes is that if the battery compartment is too small, you can cut out the foam. My son had a Super Cub and I did this to fit in 30C batteries, though I needed to use a dremel no the plastic. If the weight of the battery is too different, though, and needs to be repositioned significantly to keep your CG, that could be a real issue. The picture makes me think there's room to move forward for lighter batteries.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:49 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
I decided to pre-order one of these today. I think these are going to be popular so I wanted to "get in line" so I can get one of the first ones. I also hope to have it for my Christmas vacation. I know HH doesn't have a very good track record for delivering new products, especially around Christmas, but one can always hope...
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:39 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Any word yet on the stock battery dimentions?
If you look at Horizon's site they list some other batteries that have dimensions and specs.

3200mAh 4S 14.8V 30C Li-Po, 12AWG EC3
Specs
Type: Lithium Polymer
Capacity: 3200mAh
Voltage: 14.8V
Connector Type: E-flite EC3
Wire Gauge: 12
Number of Cells: 4
Weight: 13.0 oz (367g)
Configuration: 4S
Length: 5.20 in (132mm)
Width: 1.70 in (43.2mm)
Height: 1.20 in (30.5mm)

Thunder Power G4 Pro Power 2650mAh 4-Cell/4S 14.8V 45C

Specifications:
Type: Lithium Polymer
Capacity: 2650mAh
Voltage: 14.8V nominal
Number of Cells: 4
Weight: 296 grams
Dimensions (LxWxH): 128x42.0x27.0mm
Maximum Continuous Discharge: 45C (119A)
Maximum Burst Discharge: 90C (238A)
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
3D crazy
Australia, QLD, Warwick
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 (4 min 38 sec)
dukeofearl is offline Find More Posts by dukeofearl
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:25 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
Stock Battery dimentions just released, looks like a 3,000mah 30C Turnigy and a few others should fit just fine, remains to be seen how much wiggle room there is to adjust CG with heavier packs.

2800mAh 4S 14.8V 30C Li-Po, 12 AWG EC3
Specs
Type: LiPo
Capacity: 2800mAh
Voltage: 14.8V
Connector Type: EC3
Wire Gauge: 12 AWG
Weight: 10.9 oz (309g)
Length: 5.25 in (133mm)
Width: 1.70 in (43mm)
Height: 0.96 in (25mm)
Maximum Continuous Discharge : 30C
Maximum Continuous Current : 84A
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:41 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
I bought a Turnigy Nano-Tech 2650 35-70C for $30 and looks like it will fit fine. Unfortunately, I decided to by an 89" Slick instead of this plane so I don't need this battery and it is currently out of stock. If anyone is interested in buying it, PM me. It has never been out of the box other than to measure it.

From physical measurements (ie, actual not from specs):

L = 136mm
W = 43.4mm
H = 22mm

290g

Alan
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:55 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
I got an order in on one last week, does anyone know their actual arrival date?
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:15 PM
Dallas
Joined Aug 2002
178 Posts
I'll take it if you still have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer View Post
I bought a Turnigy Nano-Tech 2650 35-70C for $30 and looks like it will fit fine. Unfortunately, I decided to by an 89" Slick instead of this plane so I don't need this battery and it is currently out of stock. If anyone is interested in buying it, PM me. It has never been out of the box other than to measure it.

From physical measurements (ie, actual not from specs):

L = 136mm
W = 43.4mm
H = 22mm

290g

Alan
birdy233 is offline Find More Posts by birdy233
Old Dec 05, 2010, 04:43 AM
GBX
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
The Carbon Z is on my list to Mrs Claus
Making Winter seem that much longer here in the Midwest
GBX is offline Find More Posts by GBX
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:33 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,666 Posts
I can't wait to replace my Extra 300 with this plane, looks like a logical step up for me.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:03 PM
Syracuse NY USA
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
EPP Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I saw a few notes on people wishing for an ARF version of this plane. I suggest you wait for the spares to be posted and see if you can put together an ARF out of the spare parts list and save a $100. I saw a thread on the little Champ where a guy listed all the parts to make up a BNF version of the Champ. He saved about $25 dollars off the total price not needing the TX or charger, those ugly/terrible wing decals and so on. Some may say its not worth the hassle but other people like saving $25 bucks.

I have recently moved from EPP 3D planes to balsa and found the leap of faith to be more than I bargained for. Flying EPP is like working on the simulator. No worries about crashing = great close in flying. Flying balsa now has you up about 3 mistake high. My light weight balsa has me fearful of a minor bang putting me into a major rebuild.

I'm wondering if this plane is a 1/2 step from foam to balsa. The floaty easy to fly foam with the ability to take a small hit and ding rather than crack, over the precise balsa with its superior lighter weight/size but at the expense of fragility.

It certainly looks like the best foam 3D model I have ever seen. True Horizon solution. From the box to the field in record time while containing the best mass production components.

Project triangle in Horizon's view - Fast is from the box to the air and also from design to delivery of product.

FAST - GOOD - CHEAP = Pick two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_triangle
Yeah... I've been wondering that as well. I've gotten a ton of comments & questions on this plane as a "transition plane from epp" on my blog as I'm a EPP blogger www.3dpastor.blogspot.com but personally, I'm still not sold on it / I still prefer the epp options available in this size range. I think there are planes in the same size range, made of epp - that are just as good performance wise, yet retain the resilience of epp - and are cheaper! :-) For instance, The Bouncer from tufflight.com is my latest build - and I find it more than capable. Put Quique on the sticks and I'm sure he could make it look as good as his Carbon Z. :-)

My 2 cents. lol

Bouncer by tufflightDOTcom .m4v (10 min 13 sec)
Mark Ferry is offline Find More Posts by Mark Ferry