HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:05 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post

So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Grand Cruiser. I doubt if they will stay in stock too much longer. How long would you expect spare parts will be available?

Mike
Good question....check with Grayson Hobby (the other distributor in the USA) Great folks to do business with!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:27 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Good question....check with Grayson Hobby (the other distributor in the USA) Great folks to do business with!
Hey thanks! I have an account at grayson.....but it's been a long long time since I ordered from them. I bought a dynam ESC programming card five years ago from them.....and it's been so long ago......I can't remember where it is or or if I still have it.

The grand cruiser is a fairly accurate rendering of the prototype 310R. There are so many weak efforts at modeling the 310 by some companies. I prefer the earlier short nose version........but this one is the best looking, affordable, most complete version out there. The custom paint job possiblities are really making it hard for me to resist. NO!.....YES!......NO!......YES!!!

Hey, are these the same retracts it comes with? Do they work well? Seems like a low price compared to other brands out there.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...et-p-1200.html

Mike
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
826 Posts
Quote:
Hey thanks! I have an account at grayson.....but it's been a long long time since I ordered from them. I bought a dynam ESC programming card five years ago from them.....and it's been so long ago......I can't remember where it is or or if I still have it.

The grand cruiser is a fairly accurate rendering of the prototype 310R. There are so many weak efforts at modeling the 310 by some companies. I prefer the earlier short nose version........but this one is the best looking, affordable, most complete version out there. The custom paint job possiblities are really making it hard for me to resist. NO!.....YES!......NO!......YES!!!

Hey, are these the same retracts it comes with? Do they work well? Seems like a low price compared to other brands out there.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...et-p-1200.html

Mike
I just purchased those retracts a week ago from Grayson, have yet to install them, when they showed up in the package there were three main gear retracts, no steerable nose gear, still waiting to hear back if they can send me the steerable part. I thought it was a good deal for the price, I was told they are the stock ones that come with it.
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:59 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterswolf View Post
I just purchased those retracts a week ago from Grayson, have yet to install them, when they showed up in the package there were three main gear retracts, no steerable nose gear, still waiting to hear back if they can send me the steerable part. I thought it was a good deal for the price, I was told they are the stock ones that come with it.
Well I hope you get your nose gear retract. The owner or managers name is Basil.......if he is still there I'll bet he would make sure you get it taken care of.

I went in the thread tools and selected the option that lets you look at all photos in the entire thread. What a great looking model this is.......especially flying with the gear up!

Mike
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Well I hope you get your nose gear retract. The owner or managers name is Basil.......if he is still there I'll bet he would make sure you get it taken care of.

I went in the thread tools and selected the option that lets you look at all photos in the entire thread. What a great looking model this is.......especially flying with the gear up!

Mike
Mike,

The retratcts on the GC tend to not operate in temperature lower than 65F. I just experienced this last weekend when we had 44F weather. I closed my gear and then she never opened back up so I had to do an emergency landing on her belly. It opened upo when I took her inside the house later. This plane is simply awesome besides this minor issue. Folks say I should move to Florida ;-) But go for it! You will not regret this plane. Read the post I have above with recommendations. Good Luck!
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by captain MoMo; Nov 06, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
heres some more progress. i used the existing channels for the wires. just cut the channel deeper, and fit a spar. with the esc covers back on, the only visible difference, is the servo wire channel is a bit wider. but it will be covered with white tape. the wing is much, much stiffer. and the plane will no doubt fly better. i also put loctite on any metal to metal screws, but i let the loctite dry on the screw first, before i screwed them back in. ive found out the hard way, that if you loctite & put the screw back in immediatly, you might not ever get the screw back out. im also thinking about making a battery hatch i can access from the top of the plane. ill do that later though. i also plan to go to 3 and 4cell batts down the road, as thats what all my batteries are. im looking forward to the maiden soon.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
alright, i got it put back together and the tape put down. the thin cf spar, ill just paint with a thin brush. i should be pretty much ready for maiden.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
nice pics
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Nice Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
alright, i got it put back together and the tape put down. the thin cf spar, ill just paint with a thin brush. i should be pretty much ready for maiden.
Nice job!

How did you dig the trench for fitting the small CF bar that is placed at an angle? A closeup picture of the channel and how the rod and bar fit into the wing would be appreciated!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Quote:
I see that you are using a Turnigy module. Is this for your flapo servos? You are slowing them down? I tried using the other rate reducer from Hyperion and had difficulty with my DX6i. I think you are doing a great job on this build, excellent location for the RX and wiring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
yes, the turnigy module is to slow the servos down. and also to reverse one. thats a great tool to have. i cut the thin CF channel with a metal hack saw. works perfect for thin CF channels. if you look close in some of the pics, you can see the 6mm round CF spar that runs from servo to servo. i also wrapped tape around the channel labels, cause they kept falling off, and i wanted to keep the labels. i cut a slit in the foam for the front retract wire, to hold it in place and out of the way. ive also got a capacitor to plug into the reciever. it works kinda like a bec, except you just have to plug it into an empty rx channel. ive got some white model paint that im going to paint the cf channel with to hide it. thanks for the comments. i always take the time to build my planes right, and take good care of them.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
does anyone know what the dimensions are on the stock motor? should've measured before i put the prop and spinner on. i believe its 28-36. im looking at some other motors that would fit inside the cowl. im thinking of replacing the motors with 35-36, and going with counter rotating props. ill probably go to 2 blade props, due to the fact that its not that easy to find counter rotating 3 blades.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
does anyone know what the dimensions are on the stock motor? should've measured before i put the prop and spinner on. i believe its 28-36. im looking at some other motors that would fit inside the cowl. im thinking of replacing the motors with 35-36, and going with counter rotating props. ill probably go to 2 blade props, due to the fact that its not that easy to find counter rotating 3 blades.
Stock motor is 28mm/30mm......the "X" mount is same as the Exceed Rocket 28mm motor
I used these 1500kv from HobbyPartz.....http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma67-2215-1500kv.html
you could use a longer motor, as I had to space out the "X" mount about 1/8 inch with some nylon spacers from Lowes

HK sells some 3 blade props from GWS that will work as both rotations are offered.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Last edited by bamaguy; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
which way do you all think the stickers look best. the ones on the engine nacelles. im thinking the one that has the larger stripes toward the prop. and thats the capacitor i was talking about. kinda works like a bec for the rx.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:40 AM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
"Clean Blister" On It's Way!

After about a month, I just received an email saying my back-ordered GC window set ("Clean Blister" set, as it's called on the parts list) is on it's way from Nitroplanes. I didn't even have to call them! That will take care of the rear window that blew off and was lost in flight. I'm still missing the starboard nav light cover, though, which I don't believe comes with the Blister Set, and I don't see them in any parts listing. Again, if anyone has one left from a scrapped GC, I'd gladly make an offer to take it off their hands...
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member