HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
......I am shortly selling out most of my collection myself, just fed up with it, it only creates controversy and jealousy and that is NOT why I started collecting.......
Reggy, I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision not to show your engines, as we collectors are a small enough niche group as it is without guys like you leaving. I will never be able to afford magnificent things like a Ferrari 275 GTB / 4, or a Van Gogh painting but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating and admiring their beauty to the fullest extent. If some guys do bitch about your engine collection, well that's their problem - not yours. The ridiculous part about it all is that collecting model engines is such a dirt cheap pastime in comparison with other hobbies, thus tight ars*d guys will whinge about paying a measly 250 bucks for a 50 or 60 year old engine in new condition. Have a look at how much it costs to run and maintain a dragster, an off-shore speed boat, a private aircraft or a stable of horses. Model engines by comparison are absolute chicken feed ! If they whinge about you owning a few Grand's worth of engines, what would they think about the restoration cost below ?
http://live.wsj.com/video/ferrari-re...8-C530E0BA0414

I forgot to mention that an engine collecting friend of mine (now sadly deceased) also collected firearms, and if you think engines are pricey, try buying a few old Purdey shotguns ! Even some of his rare pistols were worth big $$$
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Pur...cfm?cat_id=724
Twin Stack is online now Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Last edited by Twin Stack; Jul 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:31 PM
Registered User
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
For sale on eb France this original Paul Bugl (no Czech repro) I think the seller is one of De Rancougnes old friends Pierre Gerrini. Have the same engine in my collection but do NOT want to show it off again.... here is your chance to obtain one really rare and wonderfull made engine, I know everything is called COOL these days but this is one really unique engine. Roll up roll up for the magical mystery engine sale, be the first one in your block to have your Bugl come home in a box .....
.
.
.

From my limited command of French I gather that the seller does not offer international delivery?
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
Registered User
TLyttle's Avatar
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Even thouigh I never got into team race, I still ended up with a couiple of ETAs and an MVVS race engines in my now-defunct collection. I still have the MVVS... I was always amazed at the performance of TR motors, and used to use "clapped out" ones in my c/l models. Boy did they perform!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:16 PM
Good Better Best quest.
olmod's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Even thouigh I never got into team race, I still ended up with a couiple of ETAs and an MVVS race engines in my now-defunct collection. I still have the MVVS... I was always amazed at the performance of TR motors, and used to use "clapped out" ones in my c/l models. Boy did they perform!
They weren't clapped out, just run in .
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:36 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvb View Post
From my limited command of French I gather that the seller does not offer international delivery?
It is very unlikely that his sales are limited to France, not the way to go if one wants to sell off his collection. I always thought PG was of Swiss origin. He does have quite alot of engines for sale. If you mail him I'm sure he does sell abroad. But ebay is flat on his back. Deadstick.
I do realise that selling nowadays does mean offering engines at half the price one paid and even then ... The old farts do'nt have the money and the youngsters are more interested in games.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:25 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,475 Posts
Reggie, I think Pierre actually lives in Switzerland, but he advertizes and ships from within France to avoid border crossing hassle within the EU. I'm still waiting to see a Walloon eBay seller refusing to ship to Flanders, or the reverse...
Miguel once told me that, on his quick return trips, by car, French/Swiss customs sometimes counted the number of engines that he had when leaving a country... and he'd better still have the same number when he came back in... I can't remember whether they actually identified them or not...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:00 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Reggie, I think Pierre actually lives in Switzerland, but he advertizes and ships from within France to avoid border crossing hassle within the EU. I'm still waiting to see a Walloon eBay seller refusing to ship to Flanders, or the reverse...
Miguel once told me that, on his quick return trips, by car, French/Swiss customs sometimes counted the number of engines that he had when leaving a country... and he'd better still have the same number when he came back in... I can't remember whether they actually identified them or not...
Yes that's what I remembered, Switserland. I believe he was a banker. In any case hard to deal with, but then that again is typical Swiss. Personal experience 'cause I went to school in Lausanne .... had an affair with one of the old Faisal's daughters, of one of his many wives... no joke.
Anyway so far I have'nt seen PG selling one single engine.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack View Post
Reggy, I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision not to show your engines, as we collectors are a small enough niche group as it is without guys like you leaving. I will never be able to afford magnificent things like a Ferrari 275 GTB / 4, or a Van Gogh painting but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating and admiring their beauty to the fullest extent. If some guys do bitch about your engine collection, well that's their problem - not yours. The ridiculous part about it all is that collecting model engines is such a dirt cheap pastime in comparison with other hobbies, thus tight ars*d guys will whinge about paying a measly 250 bucks for a 50 or 60 year old engine in new condition. Have a look at how much it costs to run and maintain a dragster, an off-shore speed boat, a private aircraft or a stable of horses. Model engines by comparison are absolute chicken feed ! If they whinge about you owning a few Grand's worth of engines, what would they think about the restoration cost below ?
http://live.wsj.com/video/ferrari-re...8-C530E0BA0414

I forgot to mention that an engine collecting friend of mine (now sadly deceased) also collected firearms, and if you think engines are pricey, try buying a few old Purdey shotguns ! Even some of his rare pistols were worth big $$$
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Pur...cfm?cat_id=724
Thank you for your sympathetic support and all that. Do you realise that you are one of very few left on this forum that do publish old engine pictures
daily ? It all started a few months ago when I had to read all that nonsense about "what's the f use of collecting, WE do USE our engines, Why keep engines in a cupboard ? Like you say, there are other far more expensive items to collect... I did sell off my painting collecting, luckily just before those BANKERS made it all tumble down. I did have some of the most renowned Flemish old masters up to some Picasso paintings. All sold. You collector critisisers go look up those things in state owned museums. I wonder if there are any model engine collection museums in France ..... maeby in the Mont Saint Michel monastery LOL. Suppose the only thing ex pat Brits living in France can do is drinking their b out on wine their own country will never manage to produce despite the CHEF series pretentions, thank you Lenny Henry for that sublime series. I met the guy a few years ago. I normally do not have such long toes but things have gone far enough for me on this site. I am rebuilding an old Lazy Ace I did own some 30 years ago, I did track it down recently. Just remember you M F criticasters, when I do enter a model shop here in Europe I MAY be lucke that some still do sell balsa wood or covering material. Their clientéle consists mainly of customers buying Chinese entirely finished prefabs. What do they know about building.
What building ? Even worse are those model magazines, beeing American or French or German, those M F posing with prefab models entirely build by Chinese underpaid children. You Brits living in France to enjoy your old days,
remember that these kids do take their shower in what is called the old French toilets, you know, thye ones with that hole and two foot steps... Google it up if you do'nt know what I mean. I have been in China. I have seen it. Go on living your non-collecting diesel fancy dreams. Come on Danny, DO say something, here is your chance man, after all we both do vote for the same movement do'nt we ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:39 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
enjoy the hobby

Hi Guys.
Let's not get too far off topic.

It's always nice to see model engine pictures. Some of these are like "works of art".
True, why collect things you are never going to use.
Habit? Dreaming? Hopefull?

In my case, probably more dreaming and hoping. I can't get enough model diesel fuel to make it even worth while trying to fly a diesel powered model. The most glow fuel I ever went through in a summer was maybe 15 jugs ( 60L). Now with electrics I'm down to only a few jugs of glow fuel and maybe a 1L of diesel.

Kits and balsa I'll always collect. Look at all the old kits that have disappeared.

So, lets not get irate/nasty with what others may or may not be doing.

Enjoy the hobby; that's why we are here isn't it? Enjoy/look at all the build threads. I do and always find them interesting. There still lots of really good model builders out there.

So, who's the lucky flyer that has just finished up a few good flights with a diesel powered model?

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:58 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Hi Guys.
Let's not get too far off topic.

It's always nice to see model engine pictures. Some of these are like "works of art".
True, why collect things you are never going to use.
Habit? Dreaming? Hopefull?

In my case, probably more dreaming and hoping. I can't get enough model diesel fuel to make it even worth while trying to fly a diesel powered model. The most glow fuel I ever went through in a summer was maybe 15 jugs ( 60L). Now with electrics I'm down to only a few jugs of glow fuel and maybe a 1L of diesel.

Kits and balsa I'll always collect. Look at all the old kits that have disappeared.

So, lets not get irate/nasty with what others may or may not be doing.

Enjoy the hobby; that's why we are here isn't it? Enjoy/look at all the build threads. I do and always find them interesting. There still lots of really good model builders out there.

So, who's the lucky flyer that has just finished up a few good flights with a diesel powered model?

John
That is exactly the whole point : why collect things you are never going to use ? But kits and balsa you'll always collect you say ? Are you serious man ? So kit collecting is OK with you because it is YOUR thing ? I AM a good model builder myself, just try build a Blériot full scale baby, if in doubt h
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:01 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
That is exactly the whole point : why collect things you are never going to use ? But kits and balsa you'll always collect you say ? Are you serious man ? So kit collecting is OK with you because it is YOUR thing ? I AM a good model builder myself, just try build a Blériot full scale baby, if in doubt h
have a look at my site and try make one. But maeby you are just proving my issue : why collect model engines, let it all disappear, it does take f fools like me to spend money into them, and I do mean spend not INVEST.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
So, who's the lucky flyer that has just finished up a few good flights with a diesel powered model?

John
John, I'm currently flying four models. One is glow powered (Laser) and the other three are all diesel (Mills, ED and PAW).
The attached PAW flying photos were taken only a few days ago.
During the last week, and most other weeks, I've run 3 or 4 rare old diesels on my test stand, in the garden. This is mostly done when I'm considering putting a particular engine in a plane, and I need to check fuel consumption, for tank size with no throttle, etc. But if I'm not currently considering a future build, I find another excuse to run them.
My next two builds will be powered by a Speed Demon and a Taplin Twin.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:21 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
Brian, looks like you have a nice place to fly at.
Wish I had a hard surface where I fly. I'm not too keen on hand launching a "pusher" when it's at the back.

That Electra looks like a nice relaxing flyer. What are the "specs" ? Tissue covered/paint?

I'm side tracked on a Dallaire Sportster
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883473
I have made two firewalls for it, one for electric and the second for "wet".
I took your advice and got a wooden prop for the Mills .75cc, so it may get a chance.

Last night I tried just the Dallaire wing on the Brigidier
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337034

They're both about the same size, but two different colours. I got two 18 minute flights using a 3S LiPo 1000 ma cell. The wing "floats" as well, maybe better, than my Radian glider.

Anyway, enough encouragement to try and get the project done this summer.

Thanks again for the pictures.

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:40 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
danny.act's Avatar
België, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Come on Danny, DO say something, here is your chance man, after all we both do vote for the same movement do'nt we ?
Hi Reg,
There will always be critisisers on everything You do. Some people made a hobby out of that ! Is it worth spending Your time on them? Just ignore critisisers if You think the critism isn't justified.
Many of these critisisers will be the first in line if they can take a profit out of Your help or advise on something, all in a very modest way offcours.
We all collecting, Saving money on Your bank account isn't that collecting to?
Ignore critisisers and go on with the things YOU like to do, that's what I have learn't through the years.
Best regards,
Danny.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:16 PM
Registered User
TLyttle's Avatar
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Some guys see collecting as a business, others are hoarding, others as just a hobby, everyone has their reasons. I collected out of curiosity, but stopped due to personal disaster, and sold out to survive financially. I still have my pets, and they will be in my last will. What bothered me most was the nitpicking and dishonesty among collectors. I have a brand-new and rare Oliver that has never been run, but can't be sold as NIB because I mounted it... once, and the screwhead marks show. There is no way that anyone can call me a liar, but one is seen as a liar just for giving that description. Everyone is sure that the thing is clapped out, and some will try to sell a clapped out engine as NIB. Why is that? Why is dishonesty so rampant?
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need help with two diesel engines ! cosmin Engines 4 Apr 18, 2014 07:18 PM
Diesel Engines Aeromister Engines 8 Sep 01, 2009 07:17 AM
WTB-Model Diesel Fuel slogo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2004 09:42 PM
scale model of engines dw1122 Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Apr 23, 2004 05:43 AM
diesel engines wyflyer_55 Fuel Plane Talk 7 Apr 22, 2002 02:45 AM