HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:16 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,943 Posts
Yeah Joe, that's right. Killer afterburnerz...Take a look at these pics I took during the daytime in my garage...I do believe I was running these on 4S.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:53 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Yeah Joe, that's right. Killer afterburnerz...Take a look at these pics I took during the daytime in my garage...I do believe I was running these on 4S.
Those look crazy bright... I want em

Would you say the whale-tail mod is worthwhile? I know she needs max elev throw (and ~50% aileron) but even with that much elev you still sometimes want more?

I like the white pattern on the bottom like a few have done. I know from crashing an all-black P-38 how difficult vis can be when all you see is a silhouette.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:24 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,943 Posts
Personally I didn't find the whale tail necessary. The elevons with full throw authority are plenty for this bird. It's a cool mod and doesn't hurt obviously, but I didn't notice any real appreciable difference myself. Adding rudders aren't a bad idea but also not necessary but at least a visual difference can be noted in turns.

I've become pretty much immune to the orientation of this bird. After so many flights, so many airframes, so many incidents and crashes, I feel I've come to the place where I know precisely how to fly her, how far away from me and I NEVER take my eye off of her, not even for a quick second to look at my radio like I do with any other jet or plane.

However, that's just me and my scale nerdiness but for those new to this nubian mistress I would highly recommend some kind of striping or pattern on the bottom for orientation.

Here's some raw footage of some recent flights...Note she doesn't mind the rain in the first half of the video. She is a Pacific Northwest bird after all, lol.

LX SR-71 in Rain and Shine... (1 min 53 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:56 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
2,277 Posts
Awesome... Was looking forward to your landing but the cam must have run out of tape!

Here's a nice one from Pete (over 6 years ago!):
http://youtu.be/-U3NOv9ny7A?t=6m53s

Still a while to go before that point, but thinking now I should leave the gear in at least until she's trimmed out. Getting nervous already for that maiden throw! lol
Are you still using the stock mechanical retracts (with stock servos?) I suspect not.
edit: I think yours is a hand-launcher.

I can definitely see how this plane got under your skin, and haven't even had one in my hands yet. Such a wicked sight and sound.
In Pete's video it looks to fly somewhat like my X-Wing pusher (which also has a relatively long fuse extending from smallish wings) i.e. can crank in some healthy elevator and throttle and she almost drifts into climbing turns. I've gotten to the same point as you flying this one. Even when snapping off double or triple aileron rolls at a blinding rate I can stop her right-side-up or in bank without any trouble.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Mar 26, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:04 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,943 Posts
Yeah unfortunately my friend who took the video didn't upload the landings. Bummer...
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:34 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,521 Posts
I finally have all the parts installed - stock retracts and 4s 2200, and found she was really nose heavy at 70 mm (measured from the front lip of the intake - basically right at the rear of the electronics bay in front of the mains. Like 75 grams worth the nose heavy. Is this normal for any of you flying stock with LG and 4s?

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Today, 11:50 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,943 Posts
Yep the 4S will definitely make it very nose heavy. Either carve the aft section of the battery compartment out to slide it aft or you're adding ballast. I would aim for the former.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:33 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
577 Posts
on my pusher prop set up, I pushed the receiver box back behind the gear. I'm putting the 50 amp ESC where the RX box is currently. I'm also adding two extra servos (one for each side of whale tail) and possible two more before I'm done (one for each rudder). I'm hopping with doing all that and putting the 2836 2200kv motor at the back The 4s will balance it out.
I'm thinking I might learn something from building the Pusher prop setup that will help me build the EDF one better.

Gravy
Gravythe Clown is online now Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Today, 08:08 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,521 Posts
I had a thought when I was out running. I will swap the battery and electronics box, slightly carving out the rear box. Should do wonders for the CG.

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr