HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:14 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ashford
Joined Jun 2014
40 Posts
Discussion
Any beginner plans available ?

I'm back into learning wings after doing a lot of testing and messing about over the winter with crude gliders.
I've also read Karl Nickels book on tail less aircraft and currently hooked on Horton's 'only the wing' - but I'm struggling to find any good indepth plans so can view twist and construction. The majority I find are for foam board, symmetrical, constant cord wings and I'm more interested in looking at reflexed foils, twist and different lift distributions to help my reading.

I've nearly finished my CNC router and would like to have a go at designing my own experimental wing soon - some people have already kindly pointed me to looking at Panknin formulas and so on.

Wonder if someone might be able to point me into the right direction again ?
Cheers
Jon Himself is offline Find More Posts by Jon Himself
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:33 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,758 Posts
Jon,

Take a look at http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/. I've got two sets of Horten plans published there.

Cheers,
Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:08 AM
United Kingdom, Kent
Joined Nov 2004
889 Posts
Hi Jon

You may want to try here- http://www.das-nurfluegelteam.de/

click on 'Hortenkonzept' on the left hand side and then try 'Original Kolibri'

Vern Hunt did a couple of builds based on it...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571140
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587639

I'm pretty close to Ashford Jon, so even though I've not pursued the pure Horton route, I can offer an extra pair of hands form time to time if needed.
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2014
40 Posts
Thanks both.
I've grabbed the H3 plans (I'm reading about that now) which is pretty much perfect for what I want to see - I am going to port this into CAD so I can observe clearer what's occuring.
What aerofoils did you use Brian ? I can port them directly into solidworks from the PDF but they generate about 200 vectors per rib which is really slowing the pc down
I could reduce the resolution of the foil but it may be easier to simply take the original shape.

Miniphase - I dont think I'll be cutting any wood for a while yet because of other stuff and that's why I'm looking at CAD models to get a better picture of it before I commit. Most of my other fixed wing stuff is in winter mode (ie undergoing repair and so on) - where abouts do you fly around here ? I mainly throw stuff around the large open fields around here but dont really want to treat on any land owners feet which is why I've ended up going the powered glider / wing route.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:40 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,758 Posts
Jon,

The airfoils...it's complicated. If I'm remembering corrector the wing starts out with a thickened S5010 at the center transitioning through various thicknesses to a mh50t at the tip. I could maybe get you a dxf file. If your interested get me your email address via email or pm.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:30 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,342 Posts
Try this site - plenty of detail but assumes you can cut foam. I guess if you have a CNC router, you'll have a foam bow?

http://www.zanonia-flyers.de/
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:04 AM
United Kingdom, Kent
Joined Nov 2004
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Himself View Post
Miniphase - where abouts do you fly around here ? I mainly throw stuff around the large open fields around here but dont really want to treat on any land owners feet which is why I've ended up going the powered glider / wing route.
Most of my flying is off the slope, so Thurnham (near Detling), South Downs and Wye Crown. My garden backs on to arable farmland so I do a bit of thermalling from there too depending on the crop.
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2014
40 Posts
Done a mock up of the HIII wing which did exactly what I wanted to see and learned a lot about the relationship between sweep and washout angle. All very well looking at maths and formulas but a (3D) picture pains a thousand words.

Gonna make one of these soon, see how it compares to my sail planes