HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:08 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Build Log
"Swing" flying wing

Taking the shape of my Smart Dart aileron wing as inspiration I came up with this small flying wing. I'm calling it "Swing" taking the "S" from Smart Dart and adding wing!.Constructed out of Depron like 6mm foam ( B&Q Floormaster)with a wingspan of 500mm, chord at centre 375mm, 135mm at tip. Thin spruce spar used for spar.
Total fuse length 425mm with 55mm protuding at motor mount. Elevons are 35mm wide and fins are 115mm at base, 65mm at tips. Fins are let into slots in the wing for extra strength.
The fuse is made up of 3 x 6mm foam with thin light ply at front to beef up motor mount and battery slot. Small triangles of light ply strengthen the front fuse to wing joint. Used packing tape to cover the wing as this add lots of strength and aids orientation.
Running 750 3 cell lipo with BW 1500 kv motor, 7x6 prop, 10 amp ESC and HXT 5 gram servos. Plastic motor mount is epoxied between the fuse sides at TLAR downthrust angle. No side thrust. UHU por used for most of the build and used bamboo skewers for control rods.
Maidened in less than ideal conditions (15 mph winds) but apart from too much reflex, flew like a dream. Rolls on high rates rival Dekans' Simple Delta and BW provides plenty of go. Happy to cruise around at half throttle even in the seemingly always present high winds.
Here are the pictures
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:38 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Looks good Head... I don't like the Ply? dihedral braces..There has got to be a less draggy way of doing doing the job
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:00 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Evenin' dekan
The wing is a simple flat plate so I would think that a strip of light ply glued on top of the fuse extending from the motor mount to say 40mm over the wing would be stronger and more aerodynamic. This was my prototype and I will incorporate this mod for my next build. It would also be easy enough to use a ply motor mount instead of the one I used. This would enable a wider choice of motors to be mounted.
The beauty of these forums is the input and ideas from other, often more experienced builders and I have no problems in anybody tinkering with my idea. It would make my day if somebody built one themselves! It is a quick & super easy build. Hey, if I can build one then anybody can.
Head
Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:07 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
No problem Head.it looks like it will inspire a bit of building..as you say another easy to build plane in the Dart,NB,SD and Nifty vein

Might be worth trying a round LE? I'm having a ball ball with my PiPlane
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:55 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Swing 2

I recently tried to use my mobile phone to shoot some video of my Swing and I discovered 3 things:-
Moblie phone video sucks for fast moving small rc planes
You have to fly in a small patch of sky
The Swing doesn't like hitting the ground head first at full chat.
Time to build another one. That will at least take the total built to 2. Come you other foam bashers!
For this build I increased the dimension by c.20% giving me a wing span of 600mm and decided to incorporate a canopy.
The cord is now 460mm reducing to 155 at the tip. The fuse in 520mm long and deeper at 48mm. Not flown yet due to high winds but, with the lighter mornings, I might manage a quickie before work this week.
Here are the picts
Last edited by headlessagain; Oct 25, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:12 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Well the Swing 2 maiden went well. A couple of right clicks had it level albeit climbing on WOT. I've added a couple of thin washers under the top mount to add some more downthrust and will have another go on Wednesday. The bigger wingspan improves the glide and the deeper fuse will allow me to run a larger lipos if wanted.
I also think the canopy improves the looks and is a stronger build as it holds the front of the wing in place.
Head
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:40 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
I've now sorted out the thrust angle and really pleased with version 2. Unedited flight video is now up
Swing 2 scratch built rc flying wing (9 min 52 sec)

I hope the vid inspires others to build one.
Head
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:19 AM
Wiltshire, UK
Joined Jan 2003
107 Posts
mmm, That looks familiar. Wonder if you based it on our eek and squeek designs as demonstrated at Woodsprings E-flight (nr Bristol) back in August.
Paul.A.Cook is offline Find More Posts by Paul.A.Cook
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:50 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Looks good Head... not a great day...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:41 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Hi Paul
I did see your eek fly but was already toying with the idea of building a small wing based on my Smart Dart aileron wing. I recently retired my Estardos, which has a similar wing shape, and figured that if I lost the bulky canopy and mounted the electrics underneath it might be more streamlined. The Estrados always flew better inverted!
For Swing2, I incorporated the canopy for extra strength and looks. The larger wing gives me a lighter wing loading but it still cuts through through the wind. It's an absolute blast to fly as you can see from the video.
When will you have your Eek kitted or plans available? By the way, my brother has bought one of your Goolie kits and is amazed by it's flight envelope.
Head
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Did I miss the fin height dimension?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Hi Dekan
I don't think fin dimensions are too critical but, on Swing 2, fins measure 155mm at the base, 135mm at tip,LE is 105mm and height 130mm.Allow an extra 6mm to slot into wing. You could even use a large single fin with a rudder if you wanted. The fuse top measures 210mm from front to rear and is cut as one pce with the bottom. The fuse and wing are notched and ,once trial fitted, a slot is cut for the ply motor mount so that the mount fits flush with the le on the wing.
The Hobby King version of the BW 1500 kv provides plenty of speed and c.10 min mixed flying from a 750 MAh 3 cell.
Head
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
82 Posts
Paul - I reckon it was that end of show flight when you flew eek as the solo demo spot and got that well earned round of applause that inspired swing

eek kits are very close now; in fact the first off sample is with Micron now so expect it to be available in a week or two.
Gordon Cook is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Cook
Old Feb 16, 2015, 07:25 AM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
250 Posts
Swing 2

Do you have plans for the Swing-2?...
jecchile is offline Find More Posts by jecchile