HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2001, 10:22 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
Why is there no Sky Scooter on FMS?????

I just finished building my Sky Scooter pro (actually the kit because I purchased a Hitec focus 4 to move up to more advanced planes in the future) and I am itching to fly this baby with the new paint and all, but I am still waiting for the Battery and esc to come in from Hobby Lobby (Keep in mind I only ordered thursday and they gave fast shipping when I got the radio, I JUST WANT TO FLY !!!!!) I was just wondering why with soooooo many Sky scooter lovers and Zag lovers is there is a Zag for
fms but NO SKY SCOOTER!!! I'm in eastern Mass and there are no elec. r/c people to learn from and only one gas r/c club that I know of in this area ( ooow Gas... That's almost a 4 letter word ) and I have been trying to learn everything I can
about this hobby as I can and the E-zone has been the greatest resource for me, However the wife thinks I'm having a mid life
crisis, Is 31 too young for that? I just tell her I'm not reverting BACK into a kid, I just never stopped being one But any how after all I have read and all that Mike Mayberry seems to do for Hitec customers I decided to go with the Sky Scooter and if any one has a Scooter for FMS Please share it with me...... I am having Scooter envy from reading about all the people and there stories. I do apologize to everyone for the lengthy writing but I just had WAY TOO MUCH COFFEE tonight and I am getting excited about the esc and batteries coming hopefully tomorrow. Thank you in advance.

Dauntae

[This message has been edited by Dauntae (edited 06-11-2001).]
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2001, 12:29 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Dauntae, the slow-fly model is a pretty good model that simulates the sky scooter. It does fly slower, but other than that it flies pretty close to how the scooter flies.

Here is what I did in FMS. I set it up so that the turns were done with ailerons, NO RUDDER, and only speed control, and elevation as the other channels. The biggest benefit from using FMS is that you learn that you will stall if you climb to fast, the importance of getting the plane up, the importance of looking at the plane from different angles and how that affects your turning.

You can follow my experience with it in this thread:
http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum2/HTML/001182.html

As for the pro, I would strongly, I repeat strongly recommend you get the 3:1 gearbox, and the 9x6 props other wise you are in for one heck of a time if it's your first plane. You can email me if you have any questions, also tic is a good one for questions.

soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jun 12, 2001, 06:44 PM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
Dauntae,
I started with a Pico Cub and there wasnt an FMS model for it, so I made one. See: http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum2/HTML/001230.html

It's quite easy if you start with an existing model and modify it. You need to understand basic geometry and you need to play with the parameters in the ".par" file to get the flight characteristics right.

Regards,
Trev
trevsie is online now Find More Posts by trevsie
Old Jun 12, 2001, 10:09 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
Trev, Actually you were the inspiration for me thinking of the scooter on FMS, I downloaded you pico cub and said to myself I
wish I could try the scooter here. You did a real nice job with the cub and flew it for over an hour last night. The thread you
gave me is going to help a lot and I am planning to get the gear drive, However I was seeing how much pull it had bye holding it
and the prop had it's plan and went zooming across the driveway. My brother fell on the ground after seeing the look of fear on my face when it happened. He too is in this scooter venture-two scooters and two brothers .... Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes and I am also bringing the 5 min epoxy with me too.
Dauntae

[This message has been edited by Dauntae (edited 06-12-2001).]
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae