SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:36 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Discussion
JW radio gear 2014 style

After building a few JWs recently, I can only say that the radio gear available today is amazing compared to just a few years ago! For those of you contemplating your next build, here are some ideas for some really good parts that work very well:

Servos:
Hitec 82MG the old favorite for a light JW. Inexpensive and readily available everywhere. If available, the MKS DS6100 is much better at a similar price point.

MKS DS1210 fast and cheap with tight metal gears, no frills. My favorite for a "slow" sub 200mph build. Using it in a JW PRO right now.

MKS DS6100 small and light, but tight and fast and cheap. My choice for a JW UL.

Hitec HSB-9465SH the ultimate servo for a JW, especially a record contender. Obnoxious torque and speed, tight gears and high voltage. Alan Cocconi inside. Not cheap. My choice for a JW DS Special.

Receivers:
Spektrum AR400 full-range, tiny and would be perfect if only it had end plugs. Make sure to use a 3-wire switch and plug the lead into the bind port for easy binding later.

Hitec Optima 6 full range and easy to fit. You will need access to the bind button, so plan ahead.

Battery:
Eneloop NiMh simplicity without the self discharge. Fly when you want, it holds it's charge over time. Exceptionally high quality cells. Custom packs only, order from Canuck Engineering or make your own.

Gyro / Stability:
Cocconi Stability Augmentation System simply an amazing piece of kit. Gyro, temperature, airspeed, onboard radar ready, custom firmware, telemetry, altitude, logging and more in a tiny little box. Requires some fabrication but worth it. Use with a Hitec Aurora 9 / 9x transmitter. Comes with a custom speakerbox. It will save your plane and impress the ladies.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Last edited by Aerogance; Dec 02, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2014, 01:14 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Agreed, Aaron. Things have come a long way in the last few years.

I soldered right angle pins ontho the board of my AR400. Sadly it was ejected and lost when the nose blew off at 244mph
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2014, 09:36 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
I used Hitec 82MG's in my JW 60 UL that crashed in 65 mph wind at around 175 mph on radar after the top turn with an estimated ground speed of 180-200mph. The servos survived and didn't strip. Shocking!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance