SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I have the complete airframe together,weighs in at 29oz. E-flite 10=5.5oz. 3300mah 4-s 12oz. All up weight without radio/servos 46oz. Getting heavy.
46 oz's is still a light weight......im up to 53 using a 2600mah....and with the 3000 lets just say porker...
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:31 AM
York,PA,US
Joined Jan 2001
60 Posts
I can loose another 3oz if I replace the 3300 with a 2200. Going to wait to see where the balance comes out to before pulling the trigger on the 2200. Also weighed the OS-15 and it is also 5.5oz, same as the e-flight-10. All the specs that I can find are rating the OS motors @ 12.6v Pulling 40a = 504w with an 11x7e. Might have to give it a try.
Larry M is offline Find More Posts by Larry M
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:13 PM
York,PA,US
Joined Jan 2001
60 Posts
Anyone have an idea where the thrust line on this model is?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
York,PA,US
Joined Jan 2001
60 Posts
I leveled the fuse using the stab top as 0deg and checked the top longeron under the hatch for level and it is. Using these datum points as 0 the wing incidence comes out as follows. Top wing is at -1 deg,lower wing is 0 deg, motor output shaft is down 2, right 2. It shows that the bottom of the motor box is also on the level line. There is some movement in the cabane area to adjust top wing incidence if needed, testing shows that the range is +2 - -2 .
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:52 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,505 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have an idea where the thrust line on this model is?

I'd have to say, very little info was give bty Seagull....and the CG and power info they did supply seemed to be incorrect.

Quote:
I leveled the fuse using the stab top as 0deg and checked the top longeron under the hatch for level and it is. Using these datum points as 0 the wing incidence comes out as follows. Top wing is at -1 deg,lower wing is 0 deg, motor output shaft is down 2, right 2. It shows that the bottom of the motor box is also on the level line. There is some movement in the cabane area to adjust top wing incidence if needed, testing shows that the range is +2 - -2 .

I have not checked the wing incedence although maybe I should have......as you'll see when you fly the CE it has some strange tendencies, especially at the top of large loops
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
saving wieght

ok gutted the canopy and moving the servo tray up to the front. carbon fiber push rods and other ideas ? to save weight Adam cobra ??
Swerv is offline Find More Posts by Swerv
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:36 AM
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Feb 2013
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Adam,
I have been reading your posts and those of others on this thread and have a question. I see that the motor that is specified (480) is too small and you have opted to use the OS 10. I also noticed that you are using this motor on a 4-s LiPo pack. The motor spec sheet does not support that voltage and I was wondering if you are having any issues with the motor? I too have purchased a CE from Horizon Hobbies and would like the set up to work as you have outlined. I have a few different size motors in the range that you are using from the E-Flite 480 to the 25. Just trying to figure out which set up to use.
Larry M.
Larry...the O.S. 10 will be the least of your worries...mine is bulletproof...not in the CE anymore...but bulletproof just the same. Just stay under 43 amps if possible. Volts don't matter...amps will make or break a motor. Just prop it down if you're going 4s...and don't do any of this without a watt meter to test with. ( that shows watts and amps)
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Last edited by Adam Stang; Jan 29, 2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:53 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerv View Post
ok gutted the canopy and moving the servo tray up to the front. carbon fiber push rods and other ideas ? to save weight Adam cobra ??
Bud...unfortunately my suggestion would be to take all your equipment out of it and put it in a better plane. Hang this up in your hanger and look at it from time to time. It's beautiful...but poorly designed I'm afraid.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but if I'm going to give you an answer - I must be honest. I really didn't want to use a gyro, but was excited about it at first, but after a while I had to accept the fact that it still didn't fly as good as it should...it flew loads better than without it and can be flown successfully but its still work. Every time I taxied out to fly it I felt anxiety...no other plane has ever made me feel this way. I'm an experienced stick...I fly 3d pretty well...I fly scale even better and easily handle built up balsa sheeted warbirds with a high wing loading, never feel anything except confidence.

I want a CE in my hanger badly, and this one is stunningly beautiful...for a while beautiful enough to be worth the trouble to me, but not anymore. It stopped being a fun challenge to me and became no fun at all to me. She's retired and hanging up in my hanger as we speak.

I'm sorry I don't have all the answers to make this thing fly as good as it looks...I truly don't think that's possible.

Maybe cobra can guide you farther than I can...he still flies his and is a great builder and pilot, but it sounds like he is still dealing with the tendencies that plagued me.

My lack of enthusiasm for this plane and personal belief that it can't be made to fly really well does not definitively mean that it can't be done...it just means I don't know how to do it and got damn tired of trying.

Good luck with yours bud...
Adam
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
hey every one i got this plane in ireland a few days ago and have put a os 30 fs in it had to change the engine box to fit in and a 2 oz tank came in at 1360 grams wet with 7.4v lipo and reg
cg is back way to far should be at around 65mm to 70mm is around a sweet spot for it flys great with this set up not into e power only good old fuel if any one wants a few pic just let me know plane needs weight up front and the .30 four stroke is its sweet spot
richnzj is offline Find More Posts by richnzj
Last edited by richnzj; Mar 15, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Have put around 20 flights on the plane now and have found that the elevator halves are weak I have put an extra elevator rod to the one elevator half with out so both halfs now go back direct to the servo
richnzj is offline Find More Posts by richnzj
Old Apr 05, 2014, 12:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnzj View Post
Have put around 20 flights on the plane now and have found that the elevator halves are weak I have put an extra elevator rod to the one elevator half with out so both halfs now go back direct to the servo
Seemed to me it was designed more like a nitro plane than an electric anyway. Too much stuff towards the rear and heavy (for an electric).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 01:19 AM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
CE Servos?

I may have missed it in the discussion, but I don't recall mention of what servos you are using on the CE. I have a handful of Turnigy XGD-10HM that I thought would be OK - 10g, 2.2kg-cm, 0.12s/60deg.
Any thoughts?
GTStudios is offline Find More Posts by GTStudios
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStudios View Post
I may have missed it in the discussion, but I don't recall mention of what servos you are using on the CE. I have a handful of Turnigy XGD-10HM that I thought would be OK - 10g, 2.2kg-cm, 0.12s/60deg.
Any thoughts?
I used HS5055MG's in mine. Not familiar with the Turnigys.